• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NYC raising age for cigs to 21

No apology necessary. I think adding three years to the legality of smoking is a waste of time and of the legal system. Putting cigarettes on the black market for teens is stupid. Prohibition is a proven loser. But go ahead and hop on the anti-smoking bandwagon to make yourself feel better that you are protecting people from themselves or lowering your health care costs if ya want.

No offense to ITC either, its all good.

They are also thinking about adding taxes to bring the cost of a pack to over $10.

When we were at Wake, Winn Dixie sold cartons for $1.88. The Sundry Shop gouged students $0.35 for a pack.

Pretty sure a pack of cigarettes in NYC will run you over $12 in NYC.

yeah yeah yeah boobs and morons. If you don't like cigarettes, fine. But this country was built by and has been defended on the battlefield by men who smoked and drank. The holier than thou attitude about smoking in America is pussified. I smoke 4 or 5 cigs a day after work with a cocktail. If that makes me a moron or a boob then go fuck yourself :noidea:

meh

there were plenty of soldiers who didn't smoke. just because people do and have done something for a long time doesn't give it a pass. Do you know who didn't smoke? Hitler, and look how much he accomplished.

meh

there were plenty of soldiers who didn't smoke. just because people do and have done something for a long time doesn't give it a pass. Do you know who didn't smoke? Hitler, and look how much he accomplished.

touche.

I don't want a pass, I know my cigarettes aren't perfectly healthy. I want non-smokers to go whine about something else. Like, maybe, the air pollution from power plants that is raising childhood asthma levels and raising health care costs. Or maybe the food industry which has significantly helped create antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria and elevated health care costs and indirectly killed people. Or while these New Yorkers stand on the street and pat themselves on the back for raising the smoking age and saving young people, they can take a deep long inhalation if the carcinogenic smog that blackens the air there. Whatever.

Cigarettes should just be banned in public places. It's more of a nuisance than drinking in public or honestly than being drunk in public. If you can't walk around with an open container you shouldn't be able to walk around with a cigarette.

i don't understand what you mean RJ?

Many, many smokers smoke a pack a day. That's 20 cigs with 10-20 hits on each. That's a lot more smoke than even the biggest potheads with today's pot.

Also cigs are treated with a ton of horrible chemicals. Pot doesn't have that.

Cigarettes should just be banned in public places. It's more of a nuisance than drinking in public or honestly than being drunk in public. If you can't walk around with an open container you shouldn't be able to walk around with a cigarette.

If I go someplace and pour ketsup on your clothes or throw dirt on your clean clothes, you would expect for me to have to pay to clean or replace them. And you'd be correct.

Why shouldn't smokers have to pay for my dry cleaning if they put their smoke on me against my will?

There should be absolutely no smoking in any restaurant or bar in this country. Not only does it harm patrons, but employees' health is impacted.

You have a right to smoke. You don't have a right to have your smoke impact my health or cost me money. If you smoke around me, you should have to pay the costs.

If I go someplace and pour ketsup on your clothes or throw dirt on your clean clothes, you would expect for me to have to pay to clean or replace them. And you'd be correct.

Why shouldn't smokers have to pay for my dry cleaning if they put their smoke on me against my will?

There should be absolutely no smoking in any restaurant or bar in this country. Not only does it harm patrons, but employees' health is impacted.

You have a right to smoke. You don't have a right to have your smoke impact my health or cost me money. If you smoke around me, you should have to pay the costs.

jesus quit crying.

What I get from this thread is that rj wants to drone strike smokers and wakeandbake wants to force children to smoke.

I think the caterwauling about cigarettes is overblown and annoying. I've seen you people walking past smokers and making all kinds of pussified faces and waving your little girly arms all over the place. Jesus, if your grandfathers could see you acting like that they would give you a swift kick in the pants and tell you to be a man.

:thumbsup:

I think the caterwauling about cigarettes is overblown and annoying. I've seen you people walking past smokers and making all kinds of pussified faces and waving your little girly arms all over the place. Jesus, if your grandfathers could see you acting like that they would give you a swift kick in the pants and tell you to be a man.

:thumbsup:

As long as you don't think the world is your ashtray, I agree with you.

I'm generally in favor of Big Government as far as limitations to public spaces and such are concerned, but laws like this are just dumb and 21 is a stupid age for things to magically be OK. If the whole rest of the legal system is built around the age of adulthood being 18, whyyyy do we insist on moving the legal age to do something 21? It's expensive to enforce, it's pointless anyway because you don't actually have to be 21 to take part in the action of smoking, and as others have mentioned I just have a really hard time sending someone off to war and then telling them they're not yet adult-enough to do something when they come home.

one of the most adult drugs there is in terms of physical dependence and addictive potential, and the usual ROA is inherently and severely damaging to your lungs over time, as the only thing you're lungs are truly meant to breathe is 79% nitrogen, 20% O2, and 1% other. also very possible to fatally OD (though rare) if you wanna play around with ROAs as nicotine is also the deadliest of the common recreational drugs mg per mg.

All-in-all a good regulatory move, will benefit our country in the long term even if we miss out on some revenue in the short. Keep on with the education, and the numbers are gonna keep dropping.

Meanwhile RJR is preping for the eventual legalization of Marijuana (also lung damaging if smoked but anyway beyond this topic...)

good post. you should definitely have to be over 21 to go to war in the context of our current society. the driving example is more interesting. i'll try to get back to you about this post next week, because I want to address the actual underlying substance of your post and not just blow you off by superficially addressing only your two examples. though the first example is an easy yes.

i think i can safely say that in principal, in general, i do not like the idea of setting arbitrary ages on doing things for which there are no moral implications, that you do in private, to yourself. after 15 mins of sober thinking after seeing your post, though, i *think* i de facto i support this particular move, though, and I'll list the specific reasons why in this case later.

i know: "i'll get back to you" is weak sauce code for "i'm in error/wrong and gonna leave the argument now," but i actually will get back to you just not this particular friday.

But you are okay with behaviors like this http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/archive/index.php/t-524888.html Got it.

This nation has fairly rapidly gone from "We'll fight to the death to protect people's individual rights, even if it isn't something I agree with…" to "Meh, doesn't impact me, so fuck 'em..."

Back