• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NYC raising age for cigs to 21

If smoking didn't impact others who choose not to smoke and don't want to be around it, you'd have a point. My basis question to you is, "Do you have the right to do something that costs me money and negatively impacts my health?"

If you want to smoke in your house or your car or on beach far away from others, go for it.

smoking age should be somewhere around 12. drinking age should be somewhere around 16. driving age should be 18, probably. we are such a stupid society.

This nation has fairly rapidly gone from "We'll fight to the death to protect people's individual rights, even if it isn't something I agree with…" to "Meh, doesn't impact me, so fuck 'em..."

+1

If smoking didn't impact others who choose not to smoke and don't want to be around it, you'd have a point. My basis question to you is, "Do you have the right to do something that costs me money and negatively impacts my health?"

If you want to smoke in your house or your car or on beach far away from others, go for it.

People being fat and old costs me money. Should people be fat and old only in private? I don't want to be around fat and old people, but I don't act like a skunk just passed by and gave me lung cancer when they are.

PS - I quit smoking cigarettes in January and never realized how noticeable the smell is.

People being fat and old costs me money. Should people be fat and old only in private? I don't want to be around fat and old people, but I don't act like a skunk just passed by and gave me lung cancer when they are.

PS - I quit smoking cigarettes in January and never realized how noticeable the smell is.

PPS - The point isn't that aging isn't a decision, being fat is partially a decision, and smoking is fully a decision.

old people pay way more for insurance than young ones do.

Not to mention the trans-fat ban, pretty soon there will be no Krispy Kreme's as well....Who cares about smokes, but no coffee and KKD doughnuts?

Old people also use way more than young ones do.

But is disproves your original position that the young pay for the old. Plus the 35-65 group has been paying a "tax" to cover the ER visits of young people for decades. Most estimate that historically those with insurance pay 10-15% of their premiums to cover those without insurance.

Poor genetics cost lost of money in insurance costs. Perhaps we should genetically profile for insurance premiums...

My original position was that old and fat people cost me money like smokers. I stated nothing about the young paying for the old or vice-versa.

Actually they don't cost you. They pay for their activities and age.

People who don't have insurance cost you far more.

Actually they don't cost you. They pay for their activities and age.

People who don't have insurance cost you far more.

Ok. We aren't going to see eye to eye on this one.

A premie baby can be one of the most expensive heath issues there is. There should be laws in place to protect those of us who cannot have babies....

People with over 30,000 posts on a message board in under three years are a serious public health neusense and raise health care costs significantly through added mental health costs. They should be fined and marginalized.

i want all drugs legal, but i also want all of them regulated and aggressive, true education on the ones with recreational potential (not some DARE shit or joke health classes taught by insane women or people there to coach football after 2pm) in order to reduce the amount of regulation needed, as if the drugs really do pose health problems they'll fall out of favor quick enough. ... been my position for a long time.

cigs kill many many more ppl indirectly via lung cancer and throat cancer than all the other schedule 1 drugs combined, and those are supposed to be really dangerous if you want to take the DEA's word for it (if they're not dangerous then all those agents are gonna be looking for jobs so they kinda need to keep up the illusion.)

i do not like assigning arbitrary age limits on things, but when it's seriously a life or death matter that you can't just stop so easily since nicotine is the most addictive of all recreational drugs (also one of the most toxic mg for mg), until education can catch up (lowering or even eliminating these age requirements) i think arbitrary age limits are a good thing on rec drug use. for cigs in the U.S. education has mostly caught up, and the concurrent downward trending cig use in the U.S. is causally linked to that.

Plus, your brain is still developing until 25 y/o. for me that's when you're an adult, and most car rental companies agree. so, frankly, even at 21 it's still kind of like selling to kids.

so to try to make this disjointed post more digestible, if the following things were done in the U.S., I'd be more satisfied with the current age limit of 18:

1) Movie industry always has the bad guys or cool guys or powerful guys smoking. I think this makes some people more receptive to the idea of smoking. Cigarettes in movies is advertising and IMO should be banned from movies.
2) If a different route of administration can be found that isn't inherently damaging, maybe like a pill, cause nicotine is what we're really after anyway, not necessarily the tobacco, then that would be good. people who wanna smoke just for
the sake of it can try weed, something they can easily quit (physiologically) if they have a change of heart later in life or due to new info.
3) If they clean up cigarettes by getting rid of all the excess chemicals like arsenic, i would expect cigs would become a lot safer.

If some or all these things were done, i'd be a lot happier with the current 18 y/o requirement, but for now I think 21 is a good move, and makes more sense. Something is gonna have to be done for those already hooked but not yet 21..they'll need to be grandfathered in would be the simplest solution.

the thing about driving a car vs cig smoking is cars facilitate lots of things not just for recreation and not inherently harmful to drive. cigs are only for recreation, so that's why i think driving at 16 is okay but smoking at 18 isn't (although governors set to 55 for drivers under 21 would save a lot of lives as well. I look forward to the day when all cars have breathalyzers in them, nearly eliminating drunk driving. Police would lose their hard on though, and would have to retool towards actually helping people and focusing on white collar crimes just as much as blue collar ones).

And just to be clear, i don't think nicotine itself is dangerous (unless you OD on it) just cigs.

Last edited:
Poor genetics cost lost of money in insurance costs. Perhaps we should genetically profile for insurance premiums...

Don't you go all gun advocate on me. Reasonable standards don't need to invoke unreasonable ones by comparison, as if lines can't be drawn by sensible people.

Back