• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2012-2013 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Fuck you, A-Rod

http://bostonglobe.com/business/201...ing-records/a0Eqoz6RUYORFhT0T0j0EO/story.html

A foundation started by New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez gave only 1 percent of proceeds to charity during its first year of operation in 2006, then stopped submitting mandatory financial reports to the IRS and was stripped of its tax-exempt status. Yet the group’s website still tells visitors the A-Rod Family Foundation is a nonprofit organization.

actually, that isnt true. i didnt mind him at 31. i hated him earlier, though.

from drb draft thread:

So after a night of fuming over not drafting all the guys I wanted, I've gained some perspective.
I’m still a bit disappointed, but I have a few thoughts:

Players I love: Guerreri (WTF spelling)
Players I like: Garvin (bordering love), Mahtook (hated him at 24, but fine at 31. Sill think the upside is limited), Martin, Goeddel, Carter, Harris (maybe a reach is the only question, sounds like Jennings).
Players I’m “meh” on: Hager (seems like a quick sign type which bodes well for development but not for taking BPA), Ames (sounds like a RP, but maybe relief ace?), Snell.

Obviously, I love Guerrirri. Tools and size to be an ace, and I can only wait to see what our development staff can do with him. May be slight overslot, but maybe we can get him in quickly.

The reason for the Garvin love is this sentence from his BA write-up: “His slurvy slider is below-average and rarely generates swings and misses, which limits his upside for many scouts, and he may wind up throwing more of a cutter eventually.” Say he develops the slider in to a cutter. He adds a decent CB. I can think of another lefty who sits low-to-mid-nineties and works primarily off that and a cutter/change with a few curves mixed in: Cliff Lee. Of course I’m not saying he’s the next Lee, for one Lee is an insane athlete with impeccable command/control; but he has a profile, like Gilmartin, that I think gets undervalued.

Mahtook is a guy I hated going in to the draft. By that, of course I mean I hated the way he looked, I hated his “high energy” crap, and I hated that analysts had him as high as 9th to the Cubs. At 31, he’s a good value, and as some analyst said how often does a legit 5-tool, polished, college player fall to 31?

Goeddel, Carter, Harris are toolsy guys that will hopefully transfer tools to skills.

I like the Rays continuing their stocking of SS with Martin and Hager. Hager seems like a reach, but if the Rays like him, then who am I to question based on a blurb or two from BA? Additionally, if he is a quick sign that means they’ll get him in to SS ball nice and early which I think may be undervalued. Get him a little bit of extra seasoning.

Sorry for the tl;dr.

by rglass44 on Jun 7, 2011 11:11 AM EDT actions

That J. R. Graham kid for the Braves impressed me today. Kid has a pretty sick arm. Pitched the last two innings and had some HEAT. It was funny bc IDK where the Tigs announcers got their scout from, but they were expecting low-mid 90s fastball, and kid threw over 100 quite a few times.

That J. R. Graham kid for the Braves impressed me today. Kid has a pretty sick arm. Pitched the last two innings and had some HEAT. It was funny bc IDK where the Tigs announcers got their scout from, but they were expecting low-mid 90s fastball, and kid threw over 100 quite a few times.

BA says four seamer is 93-97, but best pitch is two seamer, low 90's with heavy sink.

A guy, like Teheran, whose stuff hasn't produced the kind of strikeout numbers you'd hope for thus far.

pitching is horrible. but he did have justin upton, cano, and castro. also has dickey who i'm sure i could keep for a song, but i'm just not sure how i feel about him in that park.

My 28 team dynasty league is entering Season 7, and for the first time since Season 1 or 2, I might actually have a contender put together.

It's a good feeling... I royally screwed myself in the first few seasons, before I really understood prospect valuation, and I've spent the last two or three years working to rebuild. Outside of drunkenly trading away Billy Hamilton for Michael Young last winter, I've done a pretty damn good job, and it's starting to pay off. This offseason, I managed to sign all of my targets (Choo, Kubel, and Salty), while also signing Big Papi and Santiago Casilla to sneaky good deals. Choo/Kubel/Salty were a little over my target price (got them for a combined $25M/per; my target was $22M/per), but Papi makes up for it-- I managed to avoid paying comp on him while still only giving him 2 years at $11M/per. I got Casilla at a nice value ($11M over 4 years), but I have to pay comp on him (3rd round AMAT pick next year).

My last two big offseason moves were trades. The first was flipping Gerrit Cole for Anthony Rendon and Rex Brothers. I like Cole, but he was my least favorite of my stud pitching prospects (also have Shelby Miller and Jameson Taillon), and I'm a big Rendon fan. We'll see if that works out for me. I'm much more confident in my second trade, which was flipping Cameron Maybin and Matt Adams for CJ Wilson. Wilson is on a nice, market appropriate contract ($7.7M/per until 2015) that someone signed him to last offseason. I've become certain over the past three seasons of owning him that Maybin is never going to live up to his potential, and Adams is (IMO) a bit piece that shouldn't stand in the way of me getting a guy like Wilson.

My rotation now is pretty studly. Looking at Cliff Lee, Yu Darvish, CJ Wilson, Wei-Yin Chen, and Shaun Marcum, with guys like Bartolo Colon, Blake Beavan, Liam Hendriks, and Shelby Miller waiting in the wings. Bullpen doesn't have a closer, but it's pretty solid-- Casilla, Brothers, Matt Belisle, Tony Sipp, Aaron Crow, and Jon Rauch is a damn good core. Lineup is a lot better than it was a year ago... I won't run through it, but Ortiz, Choo, and Kubel are huge helps.

Anyway. /ramble

Last edited:
My 28 team dynasty league is entering Season 7, and for the first time since Season 1 or 2, I might actually have a contender put together.

It's a good feeling... I royally screwed myself in the first few seasons, before I really understood prospect valuation, and I've spent the last two or three years working to rebuild. Outside of drunkenly trading away Billy Hamilton for Michael Young last winter, I've done a pretty damn good job, and it's starting to pay off. This offseason, I managed to sign all of my targets (Choo, Kubel, and Salty), while also signing Big Papi and Santiago Casilla to sneaky good deals. Choo/Kubel/Salty were a little over my target price (got them for a combined $25M/per; my target was $22M/per), but Papi makes up for it-- I managed to avoid paying comp on him while still only giving him 2 years at $11M/per. I got Casilla at a nice value ($11M over 4 years), but I have to pay comp on him (3rd round AMAT pick next year).

My last two big offseason moves were trades. The first was flipping Gerrit Cole for Anthony Rendon and Rex Brothers. I like Cole, but he was my least favorite of my stud pitching prospects (also have Shelby Miller and Jameson Taillon), and I'm a big Rendon fan. We'll see if that works out for me. I'm much more confident in my second trade, which was flipping Cameron Maybin and Matt Adams for CJ Wilson. Wilson is on a nice, market appropriate contract ($7.7M/per until 2015) that someone signed him to last offseason. I've become certain over the past three seasons of owning him that Maybin is never going to live up to his potential, and Adams is (IMO) a bit piece that shouldn't stand in the way of me getting a guy like Wilson.

My rotation now is pretty studly. Looking at Cliff Lee, Yu Darvish, CJ Wilson, Wei-Yin Chen, and Shaun Marcum, with guys like Bartolo Colon, Blake Beavan, Liam Hendriks, and Shelby Miller waiting in the wings. Bullpen doesn't have a closer, but it's pretty solid-- Casilla, Brothers, Matt Belisle, Tony Sipp, Aaron Crow, and Jon Rauch is a damn good core. Lineup is a lot better than it was a year ago... I won't run through it, but Ortiz, Choo, and Kubel are huge helps.

Anyway. /ramble

I've never heard of a league like that. That sounds really fun

Someone posted this site on /r/baseball. Thought some of you would like some of these

http://redjacketclothing.com/collections/baseball-mlb-mens/remote-control

My favorites:

RJ556D_ATB_compact.jpg

RJ556G_CAA_compact.jpg

RJ556F_CWS_compact.jpeg

RJ556E_MIB_compact.jpeg

Steep prices though. Might have to save this for a gift.

RJ, you're dream of "Darin Ruf: left fielder" seems to be dying slowly. No hits yet in spring, and already has a few errors in the field.

ceZRShm.gif

Back