• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2012-2013 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Ruf had another one that was pretty bad as well. Took an awful angle then let the ball bounce behind him for a triple.

RJ, you're dream of "Darin Ruf: left fielder" seems to be dying slowly. No hits yet in spring, and already has a few errors in the field.

ceZRShm.gif

He looks bad, but he didn't look that bad in real games.

I'm quicker than that 3B.

Hey, he got a hit! (That wasn't intended as some sort of reverse jinx, but hey, whatever works.)

Another hit for Darin Ruf, this time a double off Craig Kimbrel.

(OK, I'll stop posting about Ruf now.)

In other news, someone broke Craig Kimbrel.

Another hit for Darin Ruf, this time a double off Craig Kimbrel.

(OK, I'll stop posting about Ruf now.)

In other news, someone broke Craig Kimbrel.

Meh. It's spring training. He's still getting his arm into shape.

At The Vet the downstairs usherettes were called "The Hot Pants Patrol".

Royals with big game James looking to stay undefeated. Fucking love spring.

Meh. It's spring training. He's still getting his arm into shape.

Well, if I can't be judgmental about players based on tiny sample sizes when their focus is more on getting ready than winning, then why watch spring training!

And yes on the Hooters girls. I believe Hooters started in Clearwater.

Hmmmm....what if Howard/Utley are both really good again???

:drool:

A pure joy of Spring Training - Vin Scully interviewing Sandy Koufax about pitching.

What do you tell Clayton Kershaw?

Good luck and have a good game.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
cant get on andrus for missing day due to tattoo of deceased biological father. i applaud him. #dads http://cbsprt.co/Wnyluw

I'm not sure whats worse, the hashtag, the fact that he can't get mad about it or the whole situation.

To the people who were all "WAIT WHAT WAS THAT LEAGUE YOU WERE DESCRIBING": It's a fantasy baseball league called The Wood, the Abad, and the Uggla (WAU).

It was started in Fall 2006 by 28 people on a then-active redsoxnation.net. Each person took a real life major league franchise, with full minor league system included. Two teams were contracted-- the Yankees (as a rule to protect competitive advantages-- each team got a realistic [for 2006] market salary cap) and the Cardinals (the last team remaining)*. I was one of the founders of the league, and am one of eleven (I think) original members still with the league today. There honestly isn't a lot of member turnover, though we recently got 4 or 5 new owners.

The league has full minors, salary caps, and aims to be as realistic a simulation of MLB general management as possible. There are three yearly drafts (AMAT, International Minor League FAs, and Rule V), plus full free agency and arbitration raises (determined by an in-house formula). Really, it's the single best fantasy league I've ever been in or could imagine being in. It's awesome, and stupidly in depth. The league uses AIM as official means of communication (which is why I had my AIM linked here before everyone was all 'ha ha who uses aim'), so it's usually pretty easy to get in touch with another owner to talk trade or whatever. The only issue with that is: Activity is a massive, massive must. Like, logging in mostly every day. Though the league does obviously remove inactive members, it's not crazy strict about it, and the league itself is immersive enough where inactivity shouldn't really be a problem regardless. At any rate: It's a pretty tight-knit community, which obviously goes along with communicating with a group of 27 people most every day for multiple years.

*In 2007 or 2008 my team (the Red Sox) "relocated" to St. Louis. This was because, in our AMAT drafts, we only draft through 4 rounds, and every player not taken after that is assigned to their real life draftees. The Red Sox were perceived to be really, really good drafters for most of the 2000s, and so it was decided that I'd get Cardinals auto-assignees from thereon out.

If anyone has any questions about it or wants in, let me know. I'd be happy to get you in touch with the commish and get you on the waitlist (which is currently empty, I believe).

edit: Honestly, that post does a shit job explaining just how in-depth WAU is. It's grown a lot since '06, and while I have my personal gripes with some rules (the contract extension system is shit, and there's no trading of cash), it's really a fantastic league to be in.

Well, if I can't be judgmental about players based on tiny sample sizes when their focus is more on getting ready than winning, then why watch spring training!

And yes on the Hooters girls. I believe Hooters started in Clearwater.

it did

i tried a league like that once. i hated it. it was awesome at first but just far too much work.

Sounds like it could be fun, but super time consuming. I definitely wanna read more into it

I saw part of the Dodgers game. They have a kid named Yasiel Puig who looks a freak. He has a natural swing and hits bad swings as well as good ones.

Not sure how far he is from the majors, but he looks like a keeper.

Back