• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2012-2013 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Let's just all agree that if in 2018 or whenever, Trout signs with another team, rj will be declared RIGHT and you other buttholes declared WRONG. And vice versa. NO ONE FORGET THIS DAY. This could easily slip through the cracks. We can't let that happen. This is IMPORTANT.

Let's just all agree that if in 2018 or whenever, Trout signs with another team, rj will be declared RIGHT and you other buttholes declared WRONG. And vice versa. NO ONE FORGET THIS DAY. This could easily slip through the cracks. We can't let that happen. This is IMPORTANT.
And if he signs with the Angels at any point, they will OBVIOUSLY be paying a premium because of THIS exact organizational failure. UNACCEPTABLE!

Ignore all counterpoints and just make the absolute statement that "the GM did screw up and he knows it." Have no analysis or reasoning to back it up. Never admit being wrong.

#RJLogic

I gave reasons. you don't like them. It's you who won't admit that you could be wrong.

Except I never said this....but that rarely matters.

The reality is the GM did screw up and he knows it.

The contract is in. There is no negotiation. You are wrong to say there will be any. Being "renewed" means this.

There is negotiation for a LONG TERM contract. There is constant posturing and negotiation for this. The GM might've screwed up, but it's not nearly as monumental as you say it is.

It's something that shouldn't have happened. That should never have happened. It's even worse when you read USA Today:

"Trout has 1 year, 70 days of major league service, which the Angels historically have place more weight upon than performance in renewing contracts. Teams are allowed to renew the contracts of unsigned players on their 40-man rosters from March 2-11"

It makes it look like like they are changing their policies for him.

This could cost them millions more than it needed to cost next time. It is monumentally stupid.

It's something that shouldn't have happened. That should never have happened. It's even worse when you read USA Today:

"Trout has 1 year, 70 days of major league service, which the Angels historically have place more weight upon than performance in renewing contracts. Teams are allowed to renew the contracts of unsigned players on their 40-man rosters from March 2-11"

It makes it look like like they are changing their policies for him.

This could cost them millions more than it needed to cost next time. It is monumentally stupid.

meh.

What are you talking about with that article? The article even says the Angels historically put more weight on service time than performance? And that's exactly what they're doing with Trout.

How do you get that they are changing the policies for him?

It's one thing to screw up with Trumbo or another player. It's quite different it's Trout and you know everything you do is under a microscope.

What are you talking about with that article? The article even says the Angels historically put more weight on service time than performance? And that's exactly what they're doing with Trout.

How do you get that they are changing the policies for him?

My bad on that...I misread it....

Uhh, yeah I think I'm gonna trust Nonny on this issue over you.

It's even worse when you read USA Today

This statement is killing me. Didn't realize people actually read those unless you're stranded in a hotel room and have nothing else to do.

There are a few important factors that should be considered before responding to RJ on this topic:
1) This took place in California. RJ basically runs CA.
2) The subject is baseball. RJ is the most educated person in this community regarding baseball. He knows more important people in and around baseball than the rest of us combined.
3) The subject is also financial. RJ knows salaries, and he knows negotiation better than anyone else here.
With this information in mind, please proceed. Or DON'T.

I would have thought rj would be all for a team following a collectively bargained agreement.

Did anyone catch Jason Heyward's Twitter fight with a Fangraphs writer over bunting? Social media is just the best.

Whoa, J-Hey did something controversial? Can you sum up?

Not contraversial at all, just a teasing fight. The writer posted something about how Heyward shouldn't bunt since he's such a good hitter, and Jason responded. There was a bit of back and forth and I think a few other Braves jumped in as well. It was as adorable as you would expect a Twitter fight featuring Jason Heyward to be.

Did anyone catch Jason Heyward's Twitter fight with a Fangraphs writer over bunting? Social media is just the best.

Just looked at it. That's hilarious. Kris jumped in. I think Freddie got in it too.

keithlaw: There's no evidence that players who get more money in their zero to three years give teams a break on deals down the road.

Back