• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2012-2013 MLB Hot Stove Thread

RJ needs to find Twitter if he hasn't already. My god it would be funny if he went national and reporters around the country started to take notice of him.

There's the letter of the agreement and there is more. A simple phone call would have made a difference. This is a stupid mistake that shouldn't have happened.

RJ, you honestly believe that a phone call would have A) prevented this agent from going to the media and B) led to Trout and his agent giving the Angels a discount in the future.

If you believe either are correct, you are wrong.

A phone before the renewal would have likely changed the terms.

As to a "discount", I've never once use that term. That's a concept of your invention.

It was a major screw up by the GM. They will likely have to overpay the next time.
You said they will likely have to overpay next time. It is even more illogical to think they would make them pay more than market value simply because they A) didn't get a phone call and B) didn't receive a few extra dollars during this contract. KLaw even researched and saw there's no correlation with the second part.

As to doing "research", there is no one in my lifetime who would be in Trout's league. I think they will overpay the next time to make up for this mistake.

In RJ's defense, it's not like what he is asking for is unheard of. The Phils gave Ryan Howard a $500K+ bump after his MVP season. The Cards upped Pujols $400K after his rookie season. Giants increased Lincecum $250K after his first CY. Brewers gave Prince Fielder a $255K raise. (And he bitched about it anyway.) Braves gave Kimbrel an extra $150K after his ROY season.

It would have been nice if they had given Trout a raise, I just don't think it will have much impact on anything going forward. And we have no idea what kind of raise would've made Trout's agent happy anyway. The Angels could have called the agent to tell him that they were renewing Trout's contract with a $250K raise, and he may have complained publicly anyway, like Prince.

I don't know why I'm getting back into this discussion, but I'm sure I'll regret it.

In RJ's defense, it's not like what he is asking for is unheard of. The Phils gave Ryan Howard a $500K+ bump after his MVP season. The Cards upped Pujols $400K after his rookie season. Giants increased Lincecum $250K after his first CY. Brewers gave Prince Fielder a $255K raise. (And he bitched about it anyway.) Braves gave Kimbrel an extra $150K after his ROY season.

It would have been nice if they had given Trout a raise, I just don't think it will have much impact on anything going forward. And we have no idea what kind of raise would've made Trout's agent happy anyway. The Angels could have called the agent to tell him that they were renewing Trout's contract with a $250K raise, and he may have complained publicly anyway, like Prince.

I don't know why I'm getting back into this discussion, but I'm sure I'll regret it.

So avalon what you are saying is there is widespread practice of what I was saying should have been done.

Hmmm.....I'm sure all those who said I was so wrong will admit as clearly that they are wrong as I did when I misread the article.

So avalon what you are saying is there is widespread practice of what I was saying should have been done.

Hmmm.....I'm sure all those who said I was so wrong will admit as clearly that they are wrong as I did when I misread the article.

To be fair, I still think you're wrong. Just because it is done sometimes doesn't mean that everyone should give players raises for good years, or that it will help teams save money down the road.

And I'd imagine all those examples were in KLaw's "research" that you dismissed earlier. (I know the Pujols one was because I stole it from him.)

that extra money the phils gave howard really helped signing him to a team friendly extension.

or it's a shame the phils signed a shitty of who isn't that good of a hitter to a big league deal.

"One source [...] tells Rosenthal that the Angels initially offered Trout a contract of more than $510K, but Trout did not accept it, and the Angels gave him the $510K contract as punishment. In any case, as Rosenthal suggests, the mini-controversy over Trout's 2013 salary will quickly vanish into history if the two sides can agree on a long-term deal. And, of course, salaries near the league minimum are routine for pre-arbitration eligible players, even spectacular ones."

Back