• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2013-2014 NBA Thread: TIMOTHY THEODORE DUNCAN #5

Thoughts:

1) Nice blonde highlights Hedo
2) Did the arena really roll with the Final Countdown?
3) Rick Fox is a good looking man. No Homo.

It was 2002, maybe it wasn't played out back then? (Probably was played out back then.)

Thoughts:
1. Too bad they didn't save any mojo for Game 6 and 7
2. Foul on Bobby Jackson guarding Kobe
3. The officiating in this game was no better than Game 6, it was just in reverse.

rustlin-out-my-jimmies.gif

I shat all over Manu last year, but he's had a very productive 2013-14 season and is having a great playoffs. Good for him.

Great short Goldsberry piece on a play the Spurs use to generate corner threes:
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/hammer-time-a-breakdown-of-san-antonios-killer-offensive-set/

RipeColossalDonkey.gif

Watch Perry Jones in this gif. Dude is just freaking out with the okie-doke. Good hustle to try to close out on the shooter, but he bites on 2 imaginary fakes. It seems first he is expecting maybe a shot, and the he checks Diaw for a half second before the futile attempt close out on Green.

You are dumb.

ETA: In fact, so dumb I'm going to ETA. You want that foul called on Jackson? Have you ever watched a non-Lakers playoff game? No one, not even the Heat, gets that whistle, in that moment, for a slight shove in the back from a player six inches shorter. Upset that Shaq got called for six fouls? Any particular whistle you'd like to complain about? Didn't think so. And how about that Webber pick on floppy floppy Fisher on that Bibby shot? The only ref who might blow his whistle on that is Joey Crawford. He's on the other side of the court.

No, Game 5 wasn't Game 6 in reverse. The FBI didn't investigate it. Tim Donaghy didn't allege that two of its refs were involved in a fix. Grantland didn't do a 90,000 oral history on it. Game 5 was a garden variety NBA playoff fuckjob. Just wait until this weekend for (at least) one more of those. Game 6 was and still is the mothership of NBA conspiracy theories. Why? Not because of a couple errant, messy calls, that's for damn sure.

Yes, I bit. Don't care! That faulty comparison could not stand!

Serious question, if you had to put money on whether or not there was some sort of direct message from Stern/the NBA asking the officials to make sure LA wins the game, what would you bet on? Is it believable to you that it was some combination of bad angles, subconciously letting game 5 get to them, being influenced by the crowd, etc. that caused the Lakers to get the whistle in G6? I don't deny they got the whistle, I just find it absolutely impossible that there was some directive given by Stern/the league and the only evidence is that fucking Donaghy thinks Bavetta/Delaney were company men. Note that a lot of Donaghy's other thoughts on referees have been garbage. That dude has zero credibility.

That said, I did actually do some research to refresh my memory on some of this stuff. I found a nifty article you may be interested in.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/06/the-nba-s-greatest-ugliest-series.html

Serious question, if you had to put money on whether or not there was some sort of direct message from Stern/the NBA asking the officials to make sure LA wins the game, what would you bet on? Is it believable to you that it was some combination of bad angles, subconciously letting game 5 get to them, being influenced by the crowd, etc. that caused the Lakers to get the whistle in G6? I don't deny they got the whistle, I just find it absolutely impossible that there was some directive given by Stern/the league and the only evidence is that fucking Donaghy thinks Bavetta/Delaney were company men. Note that a lot of Donaghy's other thoughts on referees have been garbage. That dude has zero credibility.

That said, I did actually do some research to refresh my memory on some of this stuff. I found a nifty article you may be interested in.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/06/the-nba-s-greatest-ugliest-series.html

6a0.gif

How about a group comprised of Yao, Magic and David Geffen? How would Sterling like to have to sell to a group of Asians, blacks and gays?

Haha, good find. The original draft was about 3x as long.

I've (obviously) given the questions you pose a lot of thought, and my answer to it is certainly biased, not just by my fanhood, but by own experiences in large bureaucratic enterprises. No, I don't think there was a league edict put forth to Bavetta, Delaney and Bernhardt. I do think those refs were assigned to Game 6 for a reason, Bavetta and Delaney in particular. Company men don't need to be told what is best for the bureaucracy/league/organization, they already know it. Knowing and understanding those things without asking questions is how they got ahead in their positions to begin with. Any "edict" or whatever was implied in their selection to the game. It's a theory/idea certainly less nefarious than the "David Stern controls all!" concept, but it's one that still assaults the basic premise of competitive athletics.

Bernhardt's quotes in the Grantland oral history (so well done) are particularly interesting, with regards to all this:

Ed Rush, my boss at the time, called and asked what I thought about the game. I said, “I’d rather not say.” He said, “Tell me, Ted.” I said, “You know me, Ed. I’d rather not say.” He goes, “Ted, tell me.” I said, “Well, I thought my partners sucked.” He says, “OK, thank you. That’s what I’d thought you think.” Click. That’s why I hate talking about it, because I really care about Delaney and [third official Dick] Bavetta.

As to your question: "Is it believable to you that it was some combination of bad angles, subconciously letting game 5 get to them, being influenced by the crowd, etc. that caused the Lakers to get the whistle in G6?" Yes, all that is certainly possible. Those things influence playoff games, and yield questionable calls, all the time. What separates Game 6 though, in my opinion, was the frequency of those questionable calls. They just piled up on one another like a car wreck, and the most notable of them (the Pollard and Divac phantom calls on Shaq in particular, the Kobe elbow on Bibby gets a lot of play but was somewhat more understandable given the angle) weren't even close. They were awful, atrocious, game-swinging calls, and they happened in multitude.

That Lakers team was amazing. Should the Kings have hit their free throws in Game 7, making Game 6 just a quirky footnote? Of course. But that doesn't change the fact that, with better (or fair) officiating in Game 6, Game 7 should never have occurred.

I'm going to go cuddle with my Chris Webber plush doll now.

Last edited:
Haha, good find. The original draft was about 3x as long.

I've (obviously) given the questions you pose a lot of thought, and my answer to it is certainly biased, not just by my fanhood, but by own experiences in large bureaucratic enterprises. No, I don't think there was a league edict put forth to Bavetta, Delaney and Bernhardt. I do think those refs were assigned to Game 6 for a reason, Bavetta and Delaney in particular. Company men don't need to be told what is best for the bureaucracy/league/organization, they already know it. Knowing and understanding those things without asking questions is how they got ahead in their positions to begin with. Any "edict" or whatever was implied in their selection to the game. It's a theory/idea certainly less nefarious than the "David Stern controls all!" concept, but it's one that still assaults the basic premise of competitive athletics.

Bernhardt's quotes in the Grantland oral history (so well done) are particularly interesting, with regards to all this:

As to your question: "Is it believable to you that it was some combination of bad angles, subconciously letting game 5 get to them, being influenced by the crowd, etc. that caused the Lakers to get the whistle in G6?" Yes, all that is certainly possible. Those things influence playoff games, and yield questionable calls, all the time. What separates Game 6 though, in my opinion, was the frequency of those questionable calls. They just piled up on one another like a car wreck, and the most notable of them (the Pollard and Divac phantom calls on Shaq in particular, the Kobe elbow on Bibby gets a lot of play but was somewhat more understandable given the angle) weren't even close. They were awful, atrocious, game-swinging calls, and they happened in multitude.

That Lakers team was amazing. Should the Kings have hit their free throws in Game 7, making Game 6 just a quirky footnote? Of course. But that doesn't change the fact that, with better (or fair) officiating in Game 6, Game 7 should never have occurred.

I'm going to go cuddle with my Chris Webber plush doll now.

I'm fine with all of that. I've never argued that the game was called fairly. I wonder if the ref assignments are done for the entire series at the home office and just not communicated to the individual refs until a day or so before the game and ultimately to the public shortly before tip. Doubt we would ever know that. I agree with Phil Jackson that the refs should be another entity altogether.

That was a really good article, btw.

Appreciate that. It was a labor of love. Hate too, but mostly love.

This bit was buried in the story of Tim Donaghy punching out Joey Crawford. I'd LOVE to drink beers with General Johnson and get some inside scoopage

In an effort to restore trust in officiating, then-Commissioner David J. Stern appointed Maj. Gen. Ronald L. Johnson to a new position in charge of creating an integrity system for the league's officials in 2008. He left in the NBA in 2012. In four years and one month on the job, it's unclear what, if anything, Johnson brought to the league besides his rank.

We should have a contest to guess how much the Clips will sell for.

I wonder if all this publicity will actually help Sterling get top dollar. In a way the timing couldn't have been better. The Clippers are arguably the most exciting team in the NBA, just had a good playoff run, play in L.A. while the Lakers are awful, and the Bucks just sold for far more than anybody expected. And with all the media attention every billionaire sports fan in the country has probably had the thought of buying the Clippers run through their head.

So Popovich knows more about the Thunder than Scott Brooks does. Not surprising in the least bit

Back