• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2013 NBA Draft Thread - That was great.

With all the wing players coming out next year, Orlando needs to take Burke.

I'll take Chad Ford's word for it on this one.

As much as they need a PG, maybe they don't believe Trey Burke to be the answer. Maybe, like many, they simply prefer Oladipo. Perhaps they feel like Jameer is fine for now and they can hold off until Shelton Mitchell falls to them in 2015.

Assuming they'll be in the lottery again next year, one has to believe they've thought this through.

Since it's very, very likely they will be in the lottery again next year, they can address tow needs. If they don't get a PG this year, they will absolutely need one next year.

There are more wings next year than top PGs. They will have to get a Top 5 pick to get Smart or Harrison. That they can't plan for.

Chad Ford is listing his Top 3. It's not necessarily about what's best for the Magic.

That works perfectly for the Horcats! But do you take McLemore, Len, or Bennett?

I take McLemore, but there's a good case to be made for any of the three. If you want MKG to be the player that they drafted him to be, then you pick the guy who can score at an NBA-level from day one. Not only that, McLemore's ceiling dwarfs Henderson's, and he could end up the best player from this draft.

Len is an upgrade at the center position, but I'm not sure if the Bismack experiment has concluded. Perhaps he'll show up to camp in different shape than his D-League-caliber end-of-season form.

Bennett also is an upgrade at the PF position, but I just wouldn't take him over McLemore in this draft.

If I was Cho, then my preference for the fourth pick would look like this:
1) McLemore
2) Bennett
3) Noel
4) Oladipo
5) Len

That's a great comparison.

He reminds me a lot of Tyson Chandler, too, and in this NBA, that's pretty good value. I do think he'll have less growing pains than Chandler (IIRC, Chandler was trying to morph into a face-up guy out of high school) and that his ceiling is a bit higher than the player Chandler developed into. Obviously, you'd hope that he develops a bit more on the offensive end, but based on his trajectory thus far, I don't think you can draft him expecting too much of that.

The only bad thing about the injury is that it's going to set him back developmentally. He played at 228-pounds this year, and will be lucky to get back there at the absolute most post-rehab. He weighed in at 206 and that's probably where they'll want to keep him while he works back into the speed of the game. Then, he has to both gain the weight and learn how to carry it, both in terms of how he plays and so as to avoid injury.

Noel feels like a player, like Chandler, who develops into a force for his second NBA team, and not the one that drafts him. I'd stay away.

I take McLemore, but there's a good case to be made for any of the three. If you want MKG to be the player that they drafted him to be, then you pick the guy who can score at an NBA-level from day one. Not only that, McLemore's ceiling dwarfs Henderson's, and he could end up the best player from this draft.

Len is an upgrade at the center position, but I'm not sure if the Bismack experiment has concluded. Perhaps he'll show up to camp in different shape than his D-League-caliber end-of-season form.

Bennett also is an upgrade at the PF position, but I just wouldn't take him over McLemore in this draft.

1) McLemore
2) Bennett
3) Noel
4) Oladipo
5) Len

You say that McLemore's ceiling dwarfs Hendersons, but you didn't mention who Bennett would be replacing, which is no-one. I get that McLemore is good, but I still think that Charlotte's post weakness and lack of size trumps their need for 3 point shooting and McLemore's ceiling, especially considering that the guy is falling out of the top 3. I still will completely understand if they take McLemore at 4, he's possibly just too good to pass up at that spot.

Noel feels like a player, like Chandler, who develops into a force for his second NBA team, and not the one that drafts him. I'd stay away.

As a Charlotte fan, you don't have to worry about getting Noel. He won't be available.

You say that McLemore's ceiling dwarfs Hendersons, but you didn't mention who Bennett would be replacing, which is no-one. I get that McLemore is good, but I still think that Charlotte's weaknesses trump McLemore's ceiling, especially considering that the guy is falling out of the top 3.

For sure, but if I'm Rich Cho, I go for McLemore. Higher ceiling, IMO, and better "likely case" scenario.

Charlotte has needed a perimeter shooter since its formation and the team won't get max potential out of the player it drafted second (not to mention the point guard that seems to be here to stay) unless there is a guy who can hit perimeter jumpers.

I'd personally rather draft a 2014 PF in the lottery (Randle, Gordon, Parker...hell, even McAdoo), especially if BMac is on the board in 2013.

Like I said above, there is a legit case to be made for any of those guys and Bennett is my second choice in that group.

There isn't a right or wrong answer in a draft as middle-heavy as 2013 when you're as bad, shallow as the 2012-2013 Charlotte Bobcats. With the exception of Otto Porter, any player at #4 is an upgrade over the current roster, IMO.

You say that McLemore's ceiling dwarfs Hendersons, but you didn't mention who Bennett would be replacing, which is no-one. I get that McLemore is good, but I still think that Charlotte's post weakness and lack of size trumps their need for 3 point shooting and McLemore's ceiling, especially considering that the guy is falling out of the top 3. I still will completely understand if they take McLemore at 4, he's possibly just too good to pass up at that spot.

McLemore has a position. Bennett doesn't. At barely 6'7, he will be posted up by PFs and he's not quick enough to be a SF. Take the guy who has a slot.

If Charlotte has a choice between McLemore, Oladipo, Len and Bennett and take Bennett, it will look like a typical MJ pick.

As an addendum, another thing that I would do if I were to wake up tomorrow as Rich Cho, then I buy a late first rounder and pick up Mike Muscala. At a legit 6'11 and with a power forward's skill set and athleticism, I think he might be another steal in this draft.

For sure, but if I'm Rich Cho, I go for McLemore. Higher ceiling, IMO, and better "likely case" scenario.

Charlotte has needed a perimeter shooter since its formation and the team won't get max potential out of the player it drafted second (not to mention the point guard that seems to be here to stay) unless there is a guy who can hit perimeter jumpers.

I'd personally rather draft a 2014 PF in the lottery (Randle, Gordon, Parker...hell, even McAdoo), especially if BMac is on the board in 2013.

Like I said above, there is a legit case to be made for any of those guys and Bennett is my second choice in that group.

There isn't a right or wrong answer in a draft as middle-heavy as 2013 when you're as bad, shallow as the 2012-2013 Charlotte Bobcats. With the exception of Otto Porter, any player at #4 is an upgrade over the current roster, IMO.

You're right about their being much better forwards in next years draft. Julius Randle would be a money pick for Charlotte next year when they again get shafted out of the #1 pick

As an addendum, another thing that I would do if I were to wake up tomorrow as Rich Cho, then I buy a late first rounder and pick up Mike Muscala. At a legit 6'11 and with a power forward's skill set and athleticism, I think he might be another steal in this draft.

I think they might be able to get him if they can trade for a Top 10 2nd Round pick.

1) McLemore
2) Bennett
3) Noel
4) Oladipo
5) Len

Interesting take. Here's mine:

I don't think the Horncats can pass on McLemore if he's sitting there at 4. He's just too perfect a "need" fit, and it's the right value as well. But after that, man, it's a tough call. Oladipo seems like an absolute can't-miss pro -- a born winner -- and the Horncats could use as many of those as possible (even though an Oladipo/MKG pairing -- while filthy defensively -- would need to vastly improve their shooting range [and I think both of those gym rats can and will do just that]). But Bennett fills the other gaping hole in the roster -- a stretch four who can rebound. He's another perfect fit, skill set-wise, and fourth isn't too high to take him. And then you have Len -- a true center that might end up being a ten-year starter for a franchise, and who, unlike Noel, can score the ball. A Len-Biyombo front-court makes a ton of sense, because Biyombo can guard bruisers if necessary, and Len can shoot. But the more I think about Noel, the less sense he makes with an improving Biyombo in the fold (and he did improve -- by the end of the year Biyombo, at 20, was semi-regularly flirting with double-doubles). With the Noel's injury issue, and the weight issue, and the offense issue, and the Biyombo redundancy, I just don't know if he'll develop into a reliable player in his first four seasons, leaving the Horncats with a tough call on whether to bestow a big contract on a guy that is still mainly potential.

Basically, any of those choices are rational. In the end, the Horncats need to simply take the best player they can get, and -- all criticism of this draft aside -- I think there are very good players to be had at 4. I'd honestly prefer to draft in the 3-6 range than 1st in 2013 (though trading out of the top 5 makes zero sense to me, unless you get a great price, which you won't in this year's draft).

I rank the Horncats options like this (for this week):

1. McLemore (But why am I starting to feel less confident in him? Why do I worry that Oladipo will eat his lunch for ten years?)
2. Bennett (If only he was two inches taller! Of course, if he was, he'd be off the board at 4. And he has monster arms, which negate the height thing anyway. So, so intriguing).
3. Len (But only if he crushes his workout/interview. Prove to me you're not the next Chris Mihm.)
3a. Oladipo (And yet, if they chose him first out of this group, I would totally understand.)
4. Noel (But if he falls to you at 4, you just shrug and take take him, right?)

Last edited:
McLemore has a position. Bennett doesn't. At barely 6'7, he will be posted up by PFs and he's not quick enough to be a SF. Take the guy who has a slot.

If Charlotte has a choice between McLemore, Oladipo, Len and Bennett and take Bennett, it will look like a typical MJ pick.

Bennet has both the weight/wingspan to play the 4 on both ends. Don't get enamored with raw height. He'll be able to guard the position with those long arms, and he'll be a devastating pick and pop stretch four on offense. I'm not worried about Bennett playing effectively in the NBA. But what is his ceiling?

The highlighted portion is just dumb. Bennett is being ranged by every major draft scouting service as a 3-6 pick. A team without a decent PF, taking such a PF at 4, will look like a team doing something sensible.

Last edited:
I keep getting the vision of Bennett being more Jason Maxiell or DeJuan Blair than Rodney Rogers. Rodney had SF skills and quickness. I'm not sure Bennett can handle or shoot well enough to be a SF.

He hasn't shown the defense of similarly short with long arms of Elton Brand.

I keep getting the vision of Bennett being more Jason Maxiell or DeJuan Blair than Rodney Rogers. Rodney had SF skills and quickness. I'm not sure Bennett can handle or shoot well enough to be a SF.

He hasn't shown the defense of similarly short with long arms of Elton Brand.

He's not a small forward, IMO. He's a shortish 4 with long arms, who can pass, shoot, and dribble effectively. When I see him, I see a more agile, better shooting Paul Milsap. At four in this draft, that's nothing to sneeze at.

If I'm anyone but Orlando I'm offering up my 1st round pick for DeMarcus Cousins. In the right environment he can absolutely thrive. Calipari kept him in check at Kentucky, someone in the NBA can. The Kings is clearly an abomination of a franchise and I don't think it's fair to judge him in that environment. His talent is absolutely worth the risk.

Bennet has both the weight/wingspan to play the 4 on both ends. Don't get enamored with raw height. He'll be able to guard the position with those long arms, and he'll be a devastating pick and pop stretch four on offense. I'm not worried about Bennett playing effectively in the NBA. But what is his ceiling?

The highlighted portion is just dumb. Bennett is being ranged by every major draft scouting service as a 3-6 pick. A team without a decent PF, taking such a PF at 4, will look like a team doing something sensible.

He's not a small forward, IMO. He's a shortish 4 with long arms, who can pass, shoot, and dribble effectively. When I see him, I see a more agile, better shooting Paul Milsap. At four in this draft, that's nothing to sneeze at.

Agreed.

Also, from a 1/2/2013 DX scouting report:

Measuring 6-7 in shoes at the Nike Hoop Summit eight months ago (and at the 2011 LeBron James Skills Academy), Bennett is somewhat undersized for a power forward, but makes up for that with his 7-1 wingspan, strong 239 pound frame, and excellent athleticism. He's a powerful and explosive leaper with very good quickness and body control for a player his size, making him a difficult matchup for opposing big men at the college level.

What makes Bennett unique is how advanced he is offensively for a freshman. He's already one of the most versatile scorers you'll find in the NCAA, as he's capable of scoring inside the paint, making 3-pointers, putting the ball down attacking from the perimeter with either hand, handling the ball on the break, and making his presence felt on the offensive glass.

Bennett stepped onto a deep and experienced UNLV team that won 26 games last year and immediately established himself as their go-to guy and most aggressive player, which he's proven he's worthy of as he currently ranks as one of the most productive players in the country.

The first thing that jumps off the page about Bennett is his tenacious finishing ability. His superb combination of length, explosiveness and aggressiveness makes him a threat to tear down the basket at any given moment and allows him to finish plays from impressive distances, sometimes even when elevating from outside the paint. He's converting 74% of his attempts around the basket right now according to Synergy Sports Technology, which ranks amongst the top ten players in college basketball thus far.

Not very advanced with his back to the basket, Bennett nevertheless shows some craftiness inside the paint, utilizing floaters with soft touch and using the glass on reverse moves. His length allows him to finish with ease without even having to jump very high at times, and helps him use some very unique angles to get his shot off effectively. As he gets older, he'd be wise to continue to improve his rudimentary post game, as he has the tools to be very effective down low with combination of his quickness, strength and touch.

Knocking down nearly one 3-pointer per game, Bennett has legitimate range on his jump-shot, even if he's been somewhat streaky overall over the course of the season, converting just 32% of his attempts from beyond the arc (see below). With his soft touch and solid shooting mechanics, this likely has more to do with shot-selection than anything, as he tends to fall in love with this part of his game at times. Nevertheless, he has clear-cut potential as a floor-spacer and pick and pop threat, which is very intriguing in today's NBA.

Also very capable of putting the ball on the floor, Bennett is an excellent ball-handler for his position. He can attack his matchup from the perimeter driving in either direction, sometimes after a shot-fake or a strong crossover. This allows him to draw fouls and get to the free throw line at a superb rate, sixth best among DX Top-100 prospects thus far. Bennett not only draws a lot of fouls, but he also converts very effectively from the free throw line, hitting 75% of his attempts so far.

Bennett has a lot of freedom in UNLV's offense, as you'll often see him grab a rebound and bring the ball up the court himself, sometimes taking it coast to coast. What's interesting is that he doesn't turn the ball over very often, as he's coughed it up just 19 times in 368 minutes thus far, or just about twice for every 40 minutes of action he sees. With that said, he also doesn't generate many assists (17 on the season), as he looks pretty focused on his own offense once the ball in his hands.

The place where Bennett has the most room to improve at the moment seems to be on the defensive end. He often looks like he's only going half speed here, jogging the floor lackadaisically, relaxing in his stance whenever he can, and losing his focus easily. He regularly gives up deep post position to opposing big men without putting up much of a fight, and loses track of his matchup relatively frequently off the ball. Like many young players, Bennett's fundamentals are fairly poor on this end of the floor, and his intensity leaves a lot to be desired at times. Maximizing his conditioning-level could help here.

With that said, Bennett's talent does shine through on this end of the floor as well on occasion, as he's capable of making some very impressive plays with his terrific combination of length, strength, explosiveness and quickness. He can move his feet well, is very difficult to shoot over when he's dialed in, and has solid anticipation skills blocking shots and getting his hands on loose balls.

With his soft hands, long arms and excellent athleticism, Bennett has proven to be a capable rebounder at times as well, even if he hasn't really done so consistently thus far, ranking just 16th of the 25 power forwards in our Top-100 rankings in this category this season (see below). There's little doubt that he could be even more effective here if he put his mind to it consistently.

Turning 20 this March, Bennett is a little older than most of players in his freshman class, but still has plenty of room to continue to improve. He made a fairly seamless transition from high school to college, likely due to the fact that he left his home in suburban Toronto at a very young age (to attend Mount State Academy in West Virginia and Findlay Prep in Las Vegas) and gained considerable experience representing Canada at the U16 FIBA Americas Championship in 2009 and the U17 FIBA World Championship in 2010.

NBA teams may be wary of the fact that he's an inch or two smaller than the prototypical power forward, but his long arms, explosive athleticism, and improving skill-level on the perimeter should ease many of their concerns. Power forwards in Bennett's mold are very much en vogue in today's NBA, and as long as he continues to produce for UNLV, he can likely expect to hear his name called fairly early whenever he decides to enter the draft.

More importantly, he ended up shooting 38.1% from deep on the year making 1.1/2.8 3FG. Furthermore, he shot 44.0% from three during his last 10 games.

He also ended the year as one of the best rebounders in this draft.

The kid can shoot from all over the floor. That's not a concern on draft night. Neither is his 7'1 wingspan, which puts him on the right side of average for his size and for the power forward position in the NBA.

In short, Bennett is a damn good prospect.

Last edited:
Kevin Garnett played at 217 in his first NBA season, Nerlens probably weighed 215 before his surgery, so where did I counter my own point? Basketball players have been known to lose 10 pounds when they get the flu. When a 7 foot person with the metabolism of a race horse doesn't eat much solid food for a few days they are going to quickly lose weight. I don't know why you think a 19 year old kid is incapable of gaining weight, but there's certainly no logic behind your reasoning.

From Chad Ford:

The weight issue is quickly becoming a non-issue. Noel weighed in at 206 pounds at the draft combine, creating a bit of a furor. Calipari told me that Dr. Andrews actually recommended Noel lose weight to help speed up the ACL recovery. Calipari said Noel weighed 222 pounds when he was injured. Noel told me in Chicago the number was actually 228. He weighed 215 pounds when he came to Kentucky. Assuming that he gained between 7-13 pounds at UK -- and assuming full-time training before the draft could have easily added another five pounds to his frame -- Noel would've come into the camp weighing between 227-233 pounds. At those numbers, he would have been heavier than Anthony Davis when he was drafted -- and the issue would completely go away.

Back