• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014 Midterm Election Discussion Thread

Instead they wanted bipartisanship and got burned. Then they lost their 60th vote in a matter of months.

Romney lost because he was dragged to the right in the primary and lost all credibility. Obama lost because if you tell the American people something is bad constantly for 6 years, they will believe you.

Because if there's one thing we've learned in the last 48 hours, it is that the American voter is enamored with progressive policies and clamoring for a sharp move left.

That's how I see wins for legal weed and minimum wage hikes.

Except they didn't run as progressives. They ran as "I'm totes not Obama!" and that was a stupid, stupid strategy. Defense doesn't win in politics. You have to go on the offensive and stay on the offensive

Democrats lost because they were pussies.

The dialectic inevitably favors us.

They should have rammed through their agenda when they had 60 votes in the senate back in 2009.

Loserman and Evan Bayh were 60th votes for nothing except Loserman and Evan Bayh

This is in some ways the Democratic version of the pubs arguing that Romney lost because he was not conservative enough, but I think there are some important distinctions. It's about the base. The pub base came out for Romney to view against Obama if nothing else. The dem base doesn't work the same way. They need more of a reason to turn out than the olds who will always turn out and vote R.

Preach

Republicans always think the country is more conservative that it really is and Democrats think it is more liberal than it really is. That is why both sides have such a hard explaining why they lose. They are blind to reality.

Republicans always think the country is more conservative that it really is and Democrats think it is more liberal than it really is. That is why both sides have such a hard explaining why they lose. They are blind to reality.

Haha. That's cute. Americans are getting more conservative about some issues (government spending, defense, abortion) and more liberal about others (minimum wage, gay marriage, marijuana).

Romney lost because he was dragged to the right in the primary and lost all credibility. Obama lost because if you tell the American people something is bad constantly for 6 years, they will believe you.

What election did Obama lose?

At this point, what is the real difference between the two parties?

“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....” -Noam Chomsky

At this point, what is the real difference between the two parties?

“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....” -Noam Chomsky

The composition in just about every demographic category.

let's make a deal, all the liberals will stop playing the victim card over voter ID on the day when all the white evangelical christians stop crying victim and pretending there's a war on Christmas and that they're gonna be forced to be gay married.

No deal unless I get to death panel someone.

Haha. That's cute. Americans are getting more conservative about some issues (government spending, defense, abortion) and more liberal about others (minimum wage, gay marriage, marijuana).

Wow - PH seriously undefeated in this one. That is a dead on post. Would love for a candidate to pretty much represent this above reality. I am not sure we are getting more conservative on abortion although I would love for that to be true as I am obviously passionate about the way we as a nation currently handle abortion.

Outside of Weed (and probably defense spending), I think Christie represents a lot of the points you make. To be honest Not really sure where he stands on defense spending

Well that's just not what happened. The Democrats had a supermajority for right around six months total and that wasn't even consecutively.

Back