• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2017 College football thread

The Sun Belt Conference this year. Yikes! Sagarin

22 SUN BELT (A) = 48.85 49.34 12 ( 21)
23 SOUTHERN (AA)= 48.73 46.85 9 ( 23)

I'm trying to figure out how Notre Dame is ranked #5 and tOSU is #3 when ND's only loss is by one point to the #2 team in the nation and tOSU got trounced at home by Oklahoma. ND has blown out everyone else they've played.

I'm trying to figure out how Notre Dame is ranked #5 and tOSU is #3 when ND's only loss is by one point to the #2 team in the nation and tOSU got trounced at home by Oklahoma. ND has blown out everyone else they've played.

Because OSU is OSU and ND was a complete dumpster fire last year. I know it isn't supposed to matter, but it does influence perception.

*I hate OSU.

Our friend John Currie has a tough decision to make in Knoxville. Not a good situation for him to be in. First year AD, and needs to decide when to pull the trigger on Butch Jones.

Because there is no team that's gets a greater bump than Ohio State. Say what you will about the SEC, but O$U always gets the benefit of doubt. Why? Because the make the NCAA the most money.

Our friend John Currie has a tough decision to make in Knoxville. Not a good situation for him to be in. First year AD, and needs to decide when to pull the trigger on Butch Jones.

I think you asked the right thing........'when' to pull the trigger, not 'if' he should pull it.

Because OSU is OSU and ND was a complete dumpster fire last year. I know it isn't supposed to matter, but it does influence perception.

*I hate OSU.

Because there is no team that's gets a greater bump than Ohio State. Say what you will about the SEC, but O$U always gets the benefit of doubt. Why? Because the make the NCAA the most money.

It was a rhetorical question. I'm also perplexed how Penn State got to #2, thus becoming tOSU's Big Win !

Also, how the hell did Penn State only drop to #7 ?

*I hate OSU.

I hate both teams, but TITCR. If ND wins out -- and I think they will -- they are in. Should be interesting to see how it plays out. I think it comes down to picking between OSU and Clemson for the final spot.

I hate both teams, but TITCR. If ND wins out -- and I think they will -- they are in. Should be interesting to see how it plays out. I think it comes down to picking between OSU and Clemson for the final spot.

It's kind of early to work on "SCENARIOS !" right now, but if undefeated Georgia and Alabama play in the SECCG, which is very possible, and the game is close and both teams look good, having been ranked #1 and #2, for what will have been a month, I don't know how you can put ND in the playoff since they lost to Georgia. Also, every other one-loss team in the nation will have a worse loss than Georgia or Alabama. Clemson has the worst loss of any team in the Top 15.

IOW: SEC Champ, SEC Runner-Up, two other teams.

Georgia (@Auburn, @ Ga Tech) and Alabama (@Miss St, @Auburn) both still have two difficult away games on their schedules though.

Last edited:
It was a rhetorical question. I'm also perplexed how Penn State got to #2, thus becoming tOSU's Big Win !

Also, how the hell did Penn State only drop to #7 ?

I know you know how this works, but you are asking the questions...

Penn State lost by one on the road to Ohio State... How far should they have fallen? Again, not that I think it should matter, but they easily covered the ~6 point spread and probably outperformed expectations.

None of this stuff even matters yet. Things will work themselves out over the next few weeks as more and more teams get 2nd and 3rd losses.

I know you are nervous about UGA getting left out of the playoff, but they are in a tough spot. Assuming they don't step on their dick (as they are prone to do), that SEC Championship Game could be a play-in game for the playoff. Will it be fair if they are left out of the playoff with their only loss to Alabama? Probably not. But unless that game is close, nobody is going to want to see it again in the playoffs if there are other 1 loss teams out there.

Personally, I expect UGA to lose a game before that Alabama game... So, again, it will work itself out.

I know you know how this works, but you are asking the questions...

Penn State lost by one on the road to Ohio State... How far should they have fallen? Again, not that I think it should matter, but they easily covered the ~6 point spread and probably outperformed expectations.

None of this stuff even matters yet. Things will work themselves out over the next few weeks as more and more teams get 2nd and 3rd losses.

I know you are nervous about UGA getting left out of the playoff, but they are in a tough spot. Assuming they don't step on their dick (as they are prone to do), that SEC Championship Game could be a play-in game for the playoff. Will it be fair if they are left out of the playoff with their only loss to Alabama? Probably not. But unless that game is close, nobody is going to want to see it again in the playoffs if there are other 1 loss teams out there.

Personally, I expect UGA to lose a game before that Alabama game... So, again, it will work itself out.

I'm just advocating for Alabama to get in as the runner-up.

And what do you think happens when Georgia loses to Auburn or Tech and then beats Alabama in the SECCG ?? SCENARIOS !

Penn State has a victory against Michigan at home and didn't cover at Iowa, winning by 2 against a 12.5 point spread.

FWIW, I haven't yet decided how I feel about the loser of a previously undefeated Bama/UGA SEC Championship Game getting into the playoff. It will depend on the other teams involved, I guess... But if that game has a convincing outcome, I don't see how you can put them both in the playoff.

But I certainly sympathize with the logic that the loser of that game probably has the 2nd best resume and could deserve it.

Better to lose early than late, though.

It was telling the other day on some college football circle jerk TV show when they went through this scenario and they all agreed that if Bama lost to UGA in the SEC championship, they should still get into the playoff... However, the same group also said they didn't feel that way about UGA if they lost that game.

So dumb. No reasoning given whatsoever other than, "It's Alabama."

Same bullshit applies to Ohio State.

College football is very frustrating sometimes.

I'm trying to avoid going down that rabbit hole too far. And Finebaum will be advocating for two SEC teams anyway.

We haven't even brought up Wisconsin either, who should have the weakest 12-0 regular season ever seen from a Power 5 team.

Butch is gone

Florida makes UT look like idiots by firing McIlwaine 2.5 years in vs watching the Vols flounder for 5 years under Jones.

Funny that the Gators want McIlwaine to take half the 13 mil buyout he owed for the "good" of the university.

Florida makes UT look like idiots by firing McIlwaine 2.5 years in vs watching the Vols flounder for 5 years under Jones.

Funny that the Gators want McIlwaine to take half the 13 mil buyout he owed for the "good" of the university.

The BoT's idea is that they can fire him for cause because he can't produce any evidence of death threats against his family by Florida fans. Therefore, he should be happy with a lesser buyout. I think the BoT has a point because McIlwaine is publicly lying, thus intentionally damaging his standing as Florida's head coach; and he's insulted and wrongly accused the fan base that otherwise supports him and his team, and fills the stadium.

I mean, if McIlwaine had waited till after the Georgia game, he would have gotten real death threats that he could show the university.

Back