• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2017 College football thread

I'm trying to avoid going down that rabbit hole too far. And Finebaum will be advocating for two SEC teams anyway.

We haven't even brought up Wisconsin either, who should have the weakest 12-0 regular season ever seen from a Power 5 team.

I'm a badger fan, but they are not very good. I think there's a decent chance they lose at Indy this weekend if Jonathon Taylor can't go. If they don't lose there, they will lose to Iowa or Michigan. Even if they get past all of those teams, they will get destroyed by OSU.

The Badgers schedule has been pathetic, but don't see them losing to Indiana, Iowa or Michigan (of that group, Iowa is the only true threat). Also, don't see anyone, including tOSU, blowing out Wisconsin. They will be a tough out for any team. Since losing to Bama 35-17 to open the 2015 season, Wisconsin has gone 29-4 with no loss more than 7 points (one was in OT).

The Badgers schedule has been pathetic, but don't see them losing to Indiana, Iowa or Michigan (of that group, Iowa is the only true threat). Also, don't see anyone, including tOSU, blowing out Wisconsin. They will be a tough out for any team. Since losing to Bama 35-17 to open the 2015 season, Wisconsin has gone 29-4 with no loss more than 7 points (one was in OT).

They were better last year offensively. D is solid, but Hornibrook has taken a step back and they are not putting many points on the board against truly terrible defenses.

CFB Playoff rankings come out tonight at 7:00. My guess:

1) Alabama: Passes the eye test with flying colors. FSU win loses clout every week, but Fresno State and Colorado State are both 4-1 in the Mountain West. Still, they cold drop to #2 due to their #38 SOS. Key Games: at MSU, at Auburn, SECCG

2) Georgia: Big road win against Notre Dame. App State is 4-0 in the Sun Belt. Steamrolling teams, just like Alabama. Just demolished Florida. Key Games: at Auburn, at Ga Tech, SECCG

3) Notre Dame: Started the season unranked but looks great right now. Wins over So Cal, Michigan State, and NC State. Lost by one point to UGA. Key Games: at Miami, at Stanford

4) Oklahoma: Just a guess here. Oklahoma holds the advantage over tOSU, whom they beat in Columbus. The rest Iowa State loss not so bad at all, better than Clemson's loss to Syracuse. Wisconsin and Miami have weak schedules so far (#35 & #62) while Oklahoma has the #5 schedule, thanks to tOSU. I don't think they'll make the playoff, but deserve this ranking as much as anyone now. BTW, Clemson has the #4 schedule so far. If Oklahoma doesn't get this slot, I think it goes to Clemson. Key Games: at OSU, v. TCU, Big 12 CG

Alabama doesn’t have a win over a team receiving a single vote in this week’s polls. I agree they’ve been dominant but they also haven’t played a difficult schedule at all. I believe Washington has played a pretty “easy” schedule relatively speaking

Biased, but I have a hard time seeing OSU at 5 or 6, given that they are #3 in both polls, and #2 in FPI and Sagarin.

Either way, there's zero chance the B1G champ gets left out, if it's an undefeated Wisconsin or 1 loss OSU.

Biased, but I have a hard time seeing OSU at 5 or 6, given that they are #3 in both polls, and #2 in FPI and Sagarin.

Either way, there's zero chance the B1G champ gets left out, if it's an undefeated Wisconsin or 1 loss OSU.

Just trying to predict tonight's order, not the eventual playoff. Agree that the B1G champ likely gets in when all is said and done.

Agree, but if the top 3 are set, and the committee is choosing between one loss Oklahoma and one loss tOSU, not sure how the Sooners don't get the nod given that they drilled the Buckeyes at the Horseshoe. FWIW, teams always lose more games than anyone anticipates (e.g., Oklahoma will probably lose another before the end of the year, UGA or Bama could lose to Auburn at Auburn, tOSU could lose at Iowa, ND could lose to either Miami, Stanford or WF, what?, there may be team that makes a move to get into contention that isn't even under consideration right now).

The same better be said about a 1-loss Big 12 champ then. 'cuz that's a much better league

The same better be said about a 1-loss Big 12 champ then. 'cuz that's a much better league

Not sure that is clear-cut. Big 12 contender Iowa State lost at home to Iowa, and Texas lost at home to Big 10 cellar dweller Maryland.

They only have one loss

Yeah, but they're not sniffing the Top 4 this week and probably never will. They lost to Arizona State FFS and their SOS is bad and not going to improve because they play in the shit PAC 12 and they're probably going to lose another game and the committee isn't going to forget how awful they looked last year when they played a real team.

Not sure that is clear-cut. Big 12 contender Iowa State lost at home to Iowa, and Texas lost at home to Big 10 cellar dweller Maryland.

If it's 12-1 Oklahoma and 12-1 tOSU at the end of the year then Oklahoma should get the nod. Otherwise, B1G champ gets in.

Agree, but if the top 3 are set, and the committee is choosing between one loss Oklahoma and one loss tOSU, not sure how the Sooners don't get the nod given that they drilled the Buckeyes at the Horseshoe. FWIW, teams always lose more games than anyone anticipates (e.g., Oklahoma will probably lose another before the end of the year, UGA or Bama could lose to Auburn at Auburn, tOSU could lose at Iowa, ND could lose to either Miami, Stanford or WF, what?, there may be team that makes a move to get into contention that isn't even under consideration right now).

Yup.

As far as tonight goes, I just think the Ohio State loss to Oklahoma is still impactful. It may get less so as the season progresses and there are more losses for playoff contenders, but right now it should absolutely matter that Oklahoma beat the piss out of Ohio State in their own house.

I just don't think Ohio State has the resume (quality wins) of the teams I listed above them. That seems to be what the committee has valued in the past (especially in its initial rankings, when there is less data).

Yeah, but they're not sniffing the Top 4 this week and probably never will. They lost to Arizona State FFS and their SOS is bad and not going to improve because they play in the shit PAC 12 and they're probably going to lose another game and the committee isn't going to forget how awful they looked last year when they played a real team.

Washington is not sniffing the top 4 this week, but the only ranking that matters is the final one. Washington definitely needs a couple of upsets to get back in the mix, but this is college football, upsets are a given. Every Power V Conference Champ is going to get consideration for the playoff. Since this system started there is a reason no conference has had two teams make the final 4. Those on the committee have a penchant for spreading the wealth.

Washington is not sniffing the top 4 this week, but the only ranking that matters is the final one. Washington definitely needs a couple of upsets to get back in the mix, but this is college football, upsets are a given. Every Power V Conference Champ is going to get consideration for the playoff. Since this system started there is a reason no conference has had two teams make the final 4. Those on the committee have a penchant for spreading the wealth.

Washington's going to lose another game and it won't even be an upset.

Back