• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2017 College football thread

Agree on ND... I am not a fan, but if they win out, they are definitely worthy of a playoff spot.

Last 6 games would be:
Blowout of USC
Blowout of NCSU
Win against WFU
Win @ Miami
Win against Navy
Win @ Stanford

Maybe none of those are "big" wins, but that is a legit 6 game stretch of decent opponents to end the season.

I don't really view that any differently than playing in a deep conference like the Big 12/ACC/Pac-12 though. Take Oklahoma's final 9 games -- vs Iowa State/vs Texas/@ KSt/vs Texas Tech/@ Oklahoma State/vs TCU/@ Kansas/vs WVU/and then a conference championship game. Yeah Kansas sucks but otherwise that's just as hard if not harder, and they have to play an extra game to boot

I don't really view that any differently than playing in a deep conference like the Big 12/ACC/Pac-12 though. Take Oklahoma's final 9 games -- vs Iowa State/vs Texas/@ KSt/vs Texas Tech/@ Oklahoma State/vs TCU/@ Kansas/vs WVU/and then a conference championship game. Yeah Kansas sucks but otherwise that's just as hard if not harder, and they have to play an extra game to boot

I don't disagree.

I was just saying that I think the criticism that ND's schedule/wins aren't that impressive is overblown. They don't play a conference schedule, but they have plenty of games against legitimately good teams. The lack of a conference championship game is clearly a mark against them, but the schedules are at least comparable.

I fear ND making the playoff will decrease the likelihood of them joining as a regular ACC member and making our conference "normal" again. Thus I don't want to see them in the playoff even though deserved.

This. ND should join a conference to make it easier on themselves. That schedule they put together every year is always a bear.

Also, I'm sick of this sweetheart deal the ACC gives them to play ACC teams.

This. ND should join a conference to make it easier on themselves. That schedule they put together every year is always a bear.

Yeah, but they'd lose their prima donna status of being so important they don't need conference affiliation and they have their own network TV deal.

I don't disagree.

I was just saying that I think the criticism that ND's schedule/wins aren't that impressive is overblown. They don't play a conference schedule, but they have plenty of games against legitimately good teams. The lack of a conference championship game is clearly a mark against them, but the schedules are at least comparable.

Comparable yes, but not sure I'd go along with definitely deserving a playoff spot if you have even four out of five of an undefeated 'Bama, 1-loss Big 12 champ, 1-loss Clemson (extenuating circumstances due to QB injury), 1-loss Ohio State and/or 1-loss UGa who beat ND at their place H2H

Can't dismiss the benefit that the ACC receives from getting rights to ND road games at ACC schools. The ACC benefitted by that affiliation in the conference's negotiations with its network partners. ND is not playing at WF if not for the deal. The deal with ND has helped raise the profile of the ACC. ND is not going to join the ACC in football as long as NBC (or some other network) is willing to pay them $millions each year to televise 6 or 7 football games.

Can't dismiss the benefit that the ACC receives from getting rights to ND road games at ACC schools. The ACC benefitted by that affiliation in the conference's negotiations with its network partners. ND is not playing at WF if not for the deal. The deal with ND has helped raise the profile of the ACC. ND is not going to join the ACC in football as long as NBC (or some other network) is willing to pay them $millions each year to televise 6 or 7 football games.

Wasn't the first Home/Home(x2) negotiated with ND well before the ACC deal? I do agree that the current affiliation benefits the ACC, though.

Comparable yes, but not sure I'd go along with definitely deserving a playoff spot if you have even four out of five of an undefeated 'Bama, 1-loss Big 12 champ, 1-loss Clemson (extenuating circumstances due to QB injury), 1-loss Ohio State and/or 1-loss UGa who beat ND at their place H2H

Yeah, but you won't have that.

ND could also lose a game (or two) and it would be moot.

Just saying they belong in the conversation... And, as of now, the 3 spot makes sense to me.

Why do people think a 1 loss Bama/UGA championship game loser should automatically be in? The SEC is hot garbage this year. The 3rd best team in the conference lost to Troy at home. Pretty sure Bama's resume would be worse than 1 loss tOSU, Clemson, ND, or any 1 loss Big 12 team. Now, I think Bama is legit as always, and won't lose to UGA, but the point still stands.

Hopefully GT finds a way to beat UGA, UGA beats Bama, and chaos reigns.

I go back and forth, and everything depends on context, but I think I'm OK with that potential SEC Championship game acting as a play-in game for the playoff.

Depends, of course, on who else is in contention, but seems dumb to have that game and then play it again a month later in potentially the same venue (Atlanta).

I *love* it when the three games I'm most interested in watching are all in the same time slot.

Wake @ ND
SC @ Georgia
Clemson @ NCS

Conversely, none of the televised noon games involve any ACC teams. Why do they do this?

I *love* it when the three games I'm most interested in watching are all in the same time slot.

Wake @ ND
SC @ Georgia
Clemson @ NCS

Conversely, none of the televised noon games involve any ACC teams. Why do they do this?

You're not hyped for Syracuse-FSU at 12:20?

Beth Mowins may be a knowledgeable play by play person but her voice is extremely annoying.

Gotta think if UT doesn't beat So Miss tonight in Knoxville, Butch doesn't make it past Sunday night.

Looks like Penn State may have gotten away with a fumble out the end zone. Player lost control of the ball going into the EZ and stepped out of bounds in the EZ. Not sure if he regained control before stepping out. Don't think there was even a review of it.

If it were Wake, it would've been flagged I'm sure.

Pretty sure when Say Hey does his ACC Cage Match: Football Edition everyone will be playing for second place. Dino Babers is a bad looking dude.

Although FSU has been ahead most of the game, they are ungood. So sad we missed our golden opportunity to knock them off this year. Syracuse w/ Dungey is moving the ball way better in the 2nd half but has nothing to show for it.

State up 21-17 against Clemson at half.

Not sure which is more annoying: Gus Johnson’s over the top yelling or Mike Gundy’s stupid mullet

Back