• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2017 College football thread

Washington's going to lose another game and it won't even be an upset.

Given they'll be favored in each of the their 4 remaining games... Yeah, it'd be an upset.

But I agree they probably drop one of: Oregon, @Stanford, Utah, Wazzu

Given they'll be favored in each of the their 4 remaining games... Yeah, it'd be an upset.

But I agree they probably drop one of: Oregon, @Stanford, Utah, Wazzu

It will be one of those obvious "upsets" that everyone is picking.

OK, tell me which one is obvious.

They are favored by 21 this weekend against Oregon.

@Stanford is probably most likely, since it is a road game, Utah has completely fallen apart, and Wazzu has dropped 2 of 3.

Man, the more I look at all of these Pac12 teams, the more it becomes clear that it is a mess. They had better hope Washington can win out, because nobody else from that league is sniffing the playoff.

OK, tell me which one is obvious.

They are favored by 21 this weekend against Oregon.

@Stanford is probably most likely, since it is a road game, Utah has completely fallen apart, and Wazzu has dropped 2 of 3.

Man, the more I look at all of these Pac12 teams, the more it becomes clear that it is a mess. They had better hope Washington can win out, because nobody else from that league is sniffing the playoff.

Probably right. The only other team with even a small chance would be Stanford if they won out, including beating ND and winning the Pac 12 title. With two losses, the Cardinal would need a ton of help, but some people claim LSU still has a chance if they beat Bama, win the West, and then beat UGA in the SECCG. Could a two loss, including a loss to Troy, LSU make the Final 4? LSU made the final 2 as a two loss team a few years ago.

Not sure that is clear-cut. Big 12 contender Iowa State lost at home to Iowa, and Texas lost at home to Big 10 cellar dweller Maryland.

I guess that's true. However if both those games were replayed today I'd be shocked if ISU or Texas failed to win by double digits. Both teams have improved significantly.

Meanwhile the second-best team in the BTen West lost to Duke by 24. Woof. That division is an utter disaster

Stanford, Washington State, or Southern Cal (PAC12 CG) will beat Washington. It is a certainty.

And those corndog people need to stop talking about winning the SEC West, the SECCG, and the Nat'l Championship at the same time as they're talking about firing their coach.

Not that I am VT fan, but I am thinking that VT beats Miami this weekend and enters the playoff conversation by running the table ahead of a rematch w/ Clemson in the ACC Championship.

Stanford, Washington State, or Southern Cal (PAC12 CG) will beat Washington. It is a certainty.

And those corndog people need to stop talking about winning the SEC West, the SECCG, and the Nat'l Championship at the same time as they're talking about firing their coach.

Well, if you throw the Pac12 Championship game in there, then sure, that's the most likely loss for UW (and not really an "upset"). They'll be significant favorites in every game until that one, though.

Not that I am VT fan, but I am thinking that VT beats Miami this weekend and enters the playoff conversation by running the table ahead of a rematch w/ Clemson in the ACC Championship.

While a long shot, VT has a better chance than Miami because there is no chance that Miami is going to beat VT, ND, and then Clemson in the ACCCG. Miami only plays 11 games this year because of the hurricane, and there is a better chance Miami doesn't get to ten wins (and doesn't get to the ACCCG) than it gets into the playoff. Right now, Miami's best win is a 1 point win in a miracle comeback against GT. They struggled to beat Cuse and UNC. Canes about to get exposed.

VPI is better than Miami. Agreed there. Miami VPI and Clemson all make the playoff as a one loss ACC champion (likely just stating the obvious)

CFB Playoff rankings come out tonight at 7:00. My guess:

1) Alabama: Passes the eye test with flying colors. FSU win loses clout every week, but Fresno State and Colorado State are both 4-1 in the Mountain West. Still, they cold drop to #2 due to their #38 SOS. Key Games: at MSU, at Auburn, SECCG

2) Georgia: Big road win against Notre Dame. App State is 4-0 in the Sun Belt. Steamrolling teams, just like Alabama. Just demolished Florida. Key Games: at Auburn, at Ga Tech, SECCG

3) Notre Dame: Started the season unranked but looks great right now. Wins over So Cal, Michigan State, and NC State. Lost by one point to UGA. Key Games: at Miami, at Stanford

4) Oklahoma: Just a guess here. Oklahoma holds the advantage over tOSU, whom they beat in Columbus. The rest Iowa State loss not so bad at all, better than Clemson's loss to Syracuse. Wisconsin and Miami have weak schedules so far (#35 & #62) while Oklahoma has the #5 schedule, thanks to tOSU. I don't think they'll make the playoff, but deserve this ranking as much as anyone now. BTW, Clemson has the #4 schedule so far. If Oklahoma doesn't get this slot, I think it goes to Clemson. Key Games: at OSU, v. TCU, Big 12 CG

OU will lose two more games if they don't get their defense and defensive coordinator in order. Their secondary is lol bad, like the worst I've seen it be. They basically have me playing corner and Mike Stoops loves to rush 3 and get no pressure on the QB, thus putting pressure on the DBs. LB play continues to be atrocious. The good news for OU is their D has come to play in the two big games this year against tOSU and Texas. The bad news is it hasn't for any of the other games. OU, in my opinion, needs to win out and give the impression that they have patched up their defense. They can't continue to win by a TD against marginal to bad teams.

If Bama and UGa are undefeated going into the SECCG, both will make the final 4. Probably as #1 and #4 seeds. Only Auburn can change this, I Gus. Then it's OU, Clemson and the B1G winner for the #2,#3 spots. Miami will have to run the table and be judged on their weak 11 game schedule.

I do think Notre Dame's resume is a little overrated. Not sure exactly how good USC, NC State and Mich. State actually are. They all have losses to some pretty meh teams. All of those may not look that impressive by the end of the year

Last edited:
I do think Notre Dame's resume is a little overrated. Not sure exactly how good USC, NC State and Mich. State actually are. They all have losses to some pretty meh teams. All of those may not look that impressive by the end of the year

I'm with this. Oh and i loathe ND.

I know I'm biased because they just caved our heads in but ND is really good this year, at least offensively. Defense surprised me. I wouldn't pick against them in any other games they have left. The 1 point loss to Georgia shows a lot IMO.

Agree on ND... I am not a fan, but if they win out, they are definitely worthy of a playoff spot.

Last 6 games would be:
Blowout of USC
Blowout of NCSU
Win against WFU
Win @ Miami
Win against Navy
Win @ Stanford

Maybe none of those are "big" wins, but that is a legit 6 game stretch of decent opponents to end the season. Add in the domination of Michigan State on the road, even @BC, and the 1 point loss to UGA, and you have a compelling resume.

Would rather see if they are any good in a national semifinal than have some mediocre 2 loss conference champion in the 4 spot.

The thing about Notre Dame this year is that they didn't just sneak by Mich State, State or USC, the Irish demolished each of them. That's what elite teams do. Won't argue that all three of those teams may be overrated, but they way ND beat them has to be taken into account. Other than the 1 point loss to UGA (and UGA is legit; so that tight loss further supports ND legitmacy), ND has beaten every opponent by 20+.

You can tell an highly ranked team is counterfeit when they edge a series of middling opponents (like Miami has this year). In those cases, it's only matter of time before they get exposed. That is not the case with ND this year.

Last edited:
I fear ND making the playoff will decrease the likelihood of them joining as a regular ACC member and making our conference "normal" again. Thus I don't want to see them in the playoff even though deserved.

Back