• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2017 College football thread

So still no chance for two ACC teams in the final four? Seems certainly back in the realm although unlikely

Would really doubt it -- one of them would have gotten a second loss in the championship game whereas someone like Ohio State or Auburn would have 2 losses but just won their CG.

A two-loss Miami team isn't sniffing the playoff. Forget it. They lost to fucking Pitt. Any of the following teams would be ahead of them (assuming they don't win their way into the Playoff):

Alabama - one loss to Auburn
Georgia - two losses to Auburn
tOSU - B1G Champ and losses to Oklahoma and Iowa
Oklahoma - Beat tOSU and losses to TCU and Iowa State, at least ISU is a bowl team
Wisconsin - one loss to tOSU
Penn State - Beat Pitt by 19 and lost to two ranked B1G teams
TCU - Lost to ISU and OU, but if they win the Big 12 Championship Game over OU, they'd get in ahead of 2-loss Miami
Southern Cal - Lost to ranked WSU by 3, blown out by ND, would be 11-2 PAC 12 Champ

I'm not saying that any of these teams have a clear path to the playoff, just that they'd ALL be more deserving than a Miami team that just got pounded by Pitt and somehow kept it close against Clemson. They've been lagging behind in the rankings all year because they barely beat shitty teams like UNC-CH.

If UCF had played and beaten Ga Tech, they'd be 12-0 and have a better resume than Miami going into their conference championship game.

I love UGA +2.5 over Auburn this weekend so much that I want to marry it, get it pregnant, then settle down in the suburbs and raise a family together.

Really tough spot for Auburn. Beating Bama was their Super Bowl and they got banged up, very unlikely Auburn will play their best this Saturday. My concern about the UGA side is that Auburn dominated the line on both offense and defense when they last played (488 yards to 230; 1.4 yards per carry for UGA to 5.2 for Auburn); nothing flukish about that. Hard to see that OL dominance changing much regardless of emotional edges and letdowns.

For UGA to win, the game must be low-scoring as the Auburn defense has been dominant all year giving up 14 (281 yards) to Clemson, 17 (230 yards) to UGA and 14 to Bama (314 yards)... all season lows for the best teams Auburn faced. Georgia will need to win a 17-14, 20-17 type of game (unless UGA gets defensive/special teams scores) because no one is scoring a ton of points on Auburn's D.

Yeah, I took Clemson at that number, as well.

Wanted to take Wisconsin, but that seems like the consensus call on that game (and I am not sure why)... Will stay away, I think.

Tempted by TCU and the points.

But UGA is the biggest play of the weekend. Seeing UGA as a dog in that game gives me a warm feeling inside my heart. And shit, knowing Biff is going to be there with his Nick Chubb jersey on makes it seem like a lock.

Herbstreit and Reece Davis both felt confident that Clemson could/should get in even with a loss. That seemed odd to me, although they do have like 9 top 40 wins.

I'm hoping for complete chaos with Miami, OSU, TCU, and UGA winning. Who do you take there among these 5 teams - TCU, OSU, Bama, Oklahoma, Clemson? I think I'm rolling with the two conference champs in TCU and OSU. Would be wild, though.

In that scenario Ohio State losing to Oklahoma could significantly hold them back since they’d be compared directly against each other

Really tough spot for Auburn. Beating Bama was their Super Bowl and they got banged up, very unlikely Auburn will play their best this Saturday. My concern about the UGA side is that Auburn dominated the line on both offense and defense when they last played (488 yards to 230; 1.4 yards per carry for UGA to 5.2 for Auburn); nothing flukish about that. Hard to see that OL dominance changing much regardless of emotional edges and letdowns.

For UGA to win, the game must be low-scoring as the Auburn defense has been dominant all year giving up 14 (281 yards) to Clemson, 17 (230 yards) to UGA and 14 to Bama (314 yards)... all season lows for the best teams Auburn faced. Georgia will need to win a 17-14, 20-17 type of game (unless UGA gets defensive/special teams scores) because no one is scoring a ton of points on Auburn's D.

Agree with all of that, but I expect UGA to win handily. I think they'll come out fired up and the wheels will fall off for Auburn once they can't match the intensity.

They have to have blown their wad the last two weeks at home. They'll be spent emotionally and physically.

Yeah, Georgia's not scoring more than 24 points in this game. If they can get 3.5 yards per carry on the ground on Saturday instead of 1, that will help. Need to score whenever they get across the Auburn 40-yard line. No exceptions.

Georgia's defense must play better. Kerryon Johnson's health will be important.

Herbstreit and Reece Davis both felt confident that Clemson could/should get in even with a loss. That seemed odd to me, although they do have like 9 top 40 wins.

I'm hoping for complete chaos with Miami, OSU, TCU, and UGA winning. Who do you take there among these 5 teams - TCU, OSU, Bama, Oklahoma, Clemson? I think I'm rolling with the two conference champs in TCU and OSU. Would be wild, though.

Those guys are idiots. If Clemson loses to Syracuse and Miami they should be ashamed. I don't think it will be an issue though. Out of that group I'd take Bama and Clemson, but we know that's not a possibility. tOSU would definitely get in. Then either Bama or maybe Clemson if they somehow earn style points losing to that Miami team.

It's not a bad point. Georgia had a cakewalk against Ga Tech last week.

The counter to that I heard from somebody else was that GT is tough to recover from because of all that cut blocking! I get it in theory, but tend to agree that you'll be more healthy after a 38-7 beatdown that was over by about halftime than you'd be after beating Bama in the Iron Bowl.

The counter to that I heard from somebody else was that GT is tough to recover from because of all that cut blocking! I get it in theory, but tend to agree that you'll be more healthy after a 38-7 beatdown that was over by about halftime than you'd be after beating Bama in the Iron Bowl.

Didn't seem to effect Duke that much when they played us.

Ga Tech only ran 49 plays on Saturday. In the second half they ran 20 plays for 70 net yards and 65 yards came on a single drive that featured a 24-yard run and ended in an interception. So I think Georgia should be pretty healthy overall.

Getting ahead early will be key. Don't see Fromm leading a comeback of any significance

Yeah, but all of that bush league cut blocking could really hurt somebody. There is no place for it in major college football. I mean, UGA is playing for a national title and GT is just playing out the string. It's dirty.

(according the UGA fan that told me this)

Back