• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - Ben Simmons: The 2&2-Townie debates

Honestly, Tyrone Lue is a terrible hire. He was a bad coach. The equivalent of Larry Drew. Serviceable is the nicest compliment I can think of.

I'd much rather have Jason Kidd as a head coach than Lue. I'm just not sure you can trust Kidd. I guess Lue couldn't.

The Lakers are a shit show. I think there best case hire is to bring back former coach Mike Brown. He has a good relationship with Lebron. That's best case.

The other option is for the Lakers to just let Lebron go player-coach next year, screw free agents, and spend the year getting their fucking house in order. No coach with from a good organization is going to touch the Lakers job. It is a lose-lose - if you win, Lebron did it. If you lose, you're a loser. Mettina is going to be a head coach somewhere next year. Udoka most likely as well. I can't imagine either would take the Lakers job. Maybe Udoka. He could get extra work replacing the lame French guy in the Most Interesting Man in the World Dos Equis commercials.

It has nothing to do whether Lue is a bad hire or not, man.

It’s the perception of the organization that has leaked re: this fiasco and the past year of organizational dysfunction.

You also are underrating the fact that LeBron and a lot of current players love Lue (he’s “one of us” vs. former player coaches like Jacques Vaughan, Jason Kidd, Derek Fisher, etc. who aren’t particularly liked by the current star class).

It’s the perception of the organization that has leaked re: this fiasco and the past year of organizational dysfunction.

You also are underrating the fact that LeBron and a lot of current players love Lue (he’s “one of us” vs. former player coaches like Jacques Vaughan, Jason Kidd, Derek Fisher, etc. who aren’t particularly liked by the current star class).

So? I'm not really seeing your point.

I don't really care whether players like him or not. He's, at best, at unimaginative coach; opponents especially in 7-game series were at a huge advantage because of their ability to, ya know, coach and make adjustments and Lue's inability to do either very well.

Both truths can co-exist. Players like him. He sucks as a coach.

You want to see coaching, go watch Brooklyn highlights from the first two weeks of the season and then watch them after Christmas. I have never understood hiring NBA retreads who failed in one or two previous jobs. I suppose for every Isiah Thomas, Tim Floyd, and Sydney Lowe, somewhere there's a Bill Billechick (sp?) just needing a better organization.

My point is that I don’t think Lue’s coaching ability is the point of folks laughing at the Lakers incompetence. Lue is who he is, but it’s not his coaching ability that makes this fiasco hilarious (to Laker haters) at least.

Honestly, Tyrone Lue is a terrible hire. He was a bad coach. The equivalent of Larry Drew. Serviceable is the nicest compliment I can think of.

I'd much rather have Jason Kidd as a head coach than Lue. I'm just not sure you can trust Kidd. I guess Lue couldn't.

The Lakers are a shit show. I think there best case hire is to bring back former coach Mike Brown. He has a good relationship with Lebron. That's best case.

The other option is for the Lakers to just let Lebron go player-coach next year, screw free agents, and spend the year getting their fucking house in order. No coach with from a good organization is going to touch the Lakers job. It is a lose-lose - if you win, Lebron did it. If you lose, you're a loser. Mettina is going to be a head coach somewhere next year. Udoka most likely as well. I can't imagine either would take the Lakers job. Maybe Udoka. He could get extra work replacing the lame French guy in the Most Interesting Man in the World Dos Equis commercials.

Jason Kidd? Whoa. Ty Lue obviously benefitted from being LeBron's caretaker in the weak Eastern Conference, but he does have a ring and three trips to the NBA finals. What does Jason Kidd have that puts him ahead (or even close or even in the same stratosphere) of Ty Lue?. Nothing points up the flaws of a coach more than a team immediately improving upon the coach's departure. Last season, Kidd was fired in mid-season when the Bucks struggled to .500 record into February. Someone named Jason Prunty replaced Kidd and they immediately improved. Then, the Bucks hired Budenholzer for this season and with largely the same roster, they had the NBA's best record finishing 38 games over .500. On top of that record, Jason Kidd also has been charged with domestic abuse and a DUI.

I wouldn't hire Jason Kidd to be a towel boy, much less an NBA head coach or assistant.

Last edited:
I have two suggestions for the new Lakers coach:

Lavar Ball - no one knows basketball like he does

Mykal Thompson - Been around the Lakers for years, and I hear he has a son who is about to be a free agent.

Mykal Thompson - Been around the Lakers for years, and I hear he has a son who is about to be a free agent.

There is a non-zero chance that they are on Jeannie’s list.

har

Apparently Embiid slept last night so there’s that

I could’ve sworn Windhorst or one of Lebron’s other groupies leaked earlier in the year that Kidd was on Lebron’s shortlist of guys he’d want to play for

In this era of #metoo (or any era), serial spousal batterer Jason Kidd does not deserve a HC job in the NBA. He beat up his ex-wife often:

"FEBRUARY 16--In a blistering legal counterattack on her estranged husband, the wife of NBA star Jason Kidd has filed a lawsuit accusing the athlete of "years of physical abuse" and serial adultery.

Joumana Kidd, who last month was branded an erratic spousal abuser by the New Jersey Nets guard, made her allegations in a counterclaim filed late yesterday in New Jersey Superior Court (a copy of the document can be found here). According to Joumana, 34, Kidd has engaged in extramarital affairs with "several different television reporters," as well as strippers in Arizona, Sacramento, Miami, Dallas and Indiana, a Nets season ticket holder, a Nets employee, and a cheerleader in New Orleans.

Joumana also contends that she recently discovered a prepaid cell phone of his containing text messages and naked photos sent by various women. Joumana portrays Kidd, 33, as a sadistic binge drinker and excessive gambler who began beating her even before the pair's 1997 marriage. She claims that Kidd assaulted her while she was pregnant with the couple's first child and has struck her with everything from a large rock to a cookie.....

In January 2001, Kidd was arrested in Arizona for punching Joumana in the mouth during an argument. He later took an assault plea and was ordered to attend anger management classes. The couple has three children, whose names have been redacted from Joumana's filing by court personnel."

He also punched a fan and other acts of violence.

He is an absolute bum who could play basketball well. He's made his money. Send him on his way.

Last year Chris Paul looked good. This year not good. Gonna cost them this series with his bricks.

Well he got paid. Too bad if he doesn’t win. We all make choices. But he’s got his State Farm friend to sooth the pain.

Goddamn does Brett Brown suck as a coach!!!! He takes Butler and Embiid out. Toronto scores 8 straight, no TO; Turnover-dunk-10 straight no TO. Finally, after 12 in a row, he calls a TO.

WTF does he have Embiid on Siakim rather than Gasol???

He needs to go!

What player has actually improved and exceeded expectations over the six years Brown has been there? The only possible answer would be Embiid, but everyone knew he would have been the easy #1 pick if not for his injury. Other than that, Brown has not developed anyone and his game planning and coaching suck.

I’m confused are we not up 15 at half?

Wtf is wrong with you rj

NBA coaches are not generally tasked with “developing talent”

Goddamn does Brett Brown suck as a coach!!!! He takes Butler and Embiid out. Toronto scores 8 straight, no TO; Turnover-dunk-10 straight no TO. Finally, after 12 in a row, he calls a TO.

WTF does he have Embiid on Siakim rather than Gasol???

He needs to go!

What player has actually improved and exceeded expectations over the six years Brown has been there? The only possible answer would be Embiid, but everyone knew he would have been the easy #1 pick if not for his injury. Other than that, Brown has not developed anyone and his game planning and coaching suck.
lol at the idea that a coach has anything to with an NBA player's development

No, i'm not the gray haired, old guy wearing t-shirt under a Sixers jersey and a Native American headdress in the third row.

First, I would never wear a t-shirt under a basketball jersey.

Back