• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

got in a huge fight with an old roommate about whether frank kaminsky was going to be good (i said yes)

Jury is still out on that one. He is really good as a 5 if he has a defensive 4 next to him who can guard in the post. He played well at the end of the season when he got out of Borrego's doghouse, I don't think it is a coincidence that the Hornets made a playoff push once he started playing. He can play the Europussy role better than most Europussies.

I think Stevens is fine.

Less headaches and expectations next year. Perhaps easier to coach / motivate.

Just like Boston wasn’t a shoo-in to win the East this year, they aren’t going to suck next year.

They won't suck, but if they lose Rozier, they are very likely not to get a home playoff series. Even with him, they might not be Top 4.

BTW, with the exception of Dwade and Lebron putting together their team, Pat Riley has been a mediocre team executive. It could be argued that the Heat have more, bad contracts than any team in the NBA.

BTW, with the exception of Dwade and Lebron putting together their team, Pat Riley has been a mediocre team executive. It could be argued that the Heat have more, bad contracts than any team in the NBA.

RJ so what makes a team exec good?

RJ so what makes a team exec good?

People forget he won nothing for many, many years until Shaq demanded a trade. In NY, he didn't win anything. He's had bottomless pits of money and has had a decent run in Miami that was created by the players not him. All he had to do was dump some salaries. Since then, he has made some terrible signings.

Masai Ujiri built two franchises on his own. RC Buford created a legacy. Bob Meyers took a scrap heap and turned it into a dynasty. The GM in Milwaukee has created something out of nothing. Vlade may be turning the one of the worst franchises in sports around. Then, there is The Logo, who has built multiple franchises as the greatest exec of all time.

The Knicks have been a dumpster fire since Riley left ... again, I didn't say he was logo good or RC Buford good. I said he was better than Lebron at doing GM things.

Speaking of the Bucks, they shed Snell's salary next year by dealing him to the Pistons + their first round pick for Jon Leuer. Clears some of the way for giving Middleton and Brogdon deals.

The Knicks have been a dumpster fire since Riley left ... again, I didn't say he was logo good or RC Buford good. I said he was better than Lebron at doing GM things.

GM Lebron/Wade created the Heat.

GM Lebron created a championship in Cleveland.

Riley is the most overrated NBA exec for the past quarter century.

In minor trade news, the Warriors traded for the Hawks #41 pick for $1.3 mil and a 2024 2nd rounder.

Pretty sure they made a similar cash trade to get Jordan Bell.

Good move by the Bucks and the Pistons.

Selling picks frustrates me to no end. Owner does jack shit, makes a cool million.

Sorry, but GM Lebron did not create the Heat. You can tap that out, but it doesn't make it so. He didn't draft Chalmers or sign Joel Anthony, James Jones, Mike Miller, and Mike Bibby.

Is it infinitely better to pick up vets on the cheap with Lebron and DWade and Bosh on your roster, abso-fucking-lutely. Pat Riley is no genius, but he did have 25ish years experience dealing with with superstars PRIOR to Lebron joining the Heat, so he knew how to create the space to win the Lebron sweepstakes.

Have they overpaid for players since Lebron left. They have. They've had guys get hurt right after signing big contracts too.

If Lebron orchestrated the Kevin Love trade on his own, then good job. That got him another championship. But it is waaaay easier to put together a team with Lebron on the roster than without him on the roster. Riley has won championships before Miami, at Miami before Lebron, and Miami has continued to be watchable after Lebron left. Cleveland was not watchable after Lebron left.

Again, I don't slather over Pat Riley's hall of fame career. But he has had a hall of fame career, so to dismiss it just seems super childish to me. The equivalent of kid screaming I'm taking my ball and going home.

Cleveland was dumpster fire within minutes of Lebron leaving. Miami has been pretty good despite not only losing Chris Bosh just like they lost Alonzo, but being responsible for his contract on their cap until I think this year. Despite that, they've made the playoffs more than they haven't. Their hurdle is Whiteside. They signed him to a huge contact knowing he is a headcase. At least I'd think they'd have to know. And though he is often super productive, he sucks or misses chunks of games for mysterious reasons way too often for a near max player.

Riley was always able to meld egos into team. That was his skill. You can dismiss it, but he's won a lot of trophies.

saw a suggestion that the Bulls look at Ish for backup PG

would make my goddam year

Its pretty impressive that Riley could take a team with Kareem, Magic Johnson , and Worthy and somehow win titles. Hell, Paul Westhead did it (substitute Jamaal Wilkes for Worthy), he's better than Lebron as well!

Its pretty impressive that Riley could take a team with Kareem, Magic Johnson , and Worthy and somehow win titles. Hell, Paul Westhead did it (substitute Jamaal Wilkes for Worthy), he's better than Lebron as well!

Easier to say that now. Kareem was the oldest player in the league I believe, Magic was the youngest player in the league. Worthy was youngish as well. 30 years from now, I suppose we can all say that Steve Kerr is no big deal as well. He had Steph, Klay and Green and then Durant. And he still managed to lose championships. Loser!

The only championship team I can think of are Lebron's Cavs that didn't have all of the following:
* great players
* good to great chemistry
* good to great coach
* good to great mgmt

I believe Krause in Chicago was not beloved by the players and there was poor communication, but he was still good and building teams.

Realize that its essentially meaningless, but just saw a report that Mavs are interested in trading for the Suns and former Wolfpacker TJ Warren. The article mentioned that Warren is 25. Seems like he would be closer to 35, but guess I'm thrown off by how everyone heads to the NBA at 20 or younger these days.

Also, to demonstrate how anonymous the Suns are these days, I had no idea Warren averaged just under 20 ppg each of the last two years (19.6 and 18).

Realize that its essentially meaningless, but just saw a report that Mavs are interested in trading for the Suns and former Wolfpacker TJ Warren. The article mentioned that Warren is 25. Seems like he would be closer to 35, but guess I'm thrown off by how everyone heads to the NBA at 20 or younger these days.

Also, to demonstrate how anonymous the Suns are these days, I had no idea Warren averaged just under 20 ppg each of the last two years (19.6 and 18).

Yeah. There's also some chatter that the Spurs are trying to trade #19 and/or #29 for Warren.

Warren and DSJ are the best Pack players in the NBA since Googs. They're almost the only ones. It's crazy that we're about to have 4 guys from one team who reach 10 seasons in the NBA and the Pack hasn't had one since a guy who played for them in the early 90s.

Last edited:
TJ Warren to the Pacers. Looks like they get Warren and #32 for cash?

TJ Warren to the Pacers. Looks like they get Warren and #32 for cash?

You know things are bad when a team with the worst record in the Western Conference has to trade a draft pick and one of its more productive players to gain cap room. It's one thing to suck. Another to suck and to be in salary cap hell.

Back