• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

and he'll get at least 4 more this year when he dispenses boston.

Is James Harden still a team member of the Rockets ?

Amazing performance by Mitchell in the third.

CP winning a ship with [Redacted] has to reverse the curse and restore balance to Deaconland right?

Apparently Harden is sick. I'm glad there's an explanation for his game tonight; but CP3 was amazing, especially for an "old" guy.

Sad for Mitchell.

Wow. Paul was the person with most playoff experience to never make a conference finals before tonight

Celtics gonna wrap it up tomorrow and we're gonna go a whole week without any basketball.

Celtics gonna wrap it up tomorrow and we're gonna go a whole week without any basketball.

JJgg7.gif

Lebron has more early success with less help. Jordan finally broke through in year 7 in part because the Bulls surrounded him with a hall of fame sidekick and competent supporting cast. Lebron failed to breakthrough in year 7 in part because the Cavs didn’t. So Lebron found a team that could. Jordan likely would have done the same.

Would Scottie Pippen have been an all-time great without Jordan? I, personally, believe he would have been a good player but never would have developed into a star. The constant MJ-Pippen one-on-one games made Pippen a more versatile offensive player and allowed him to hone his defensive skills against the best scorer ever.

Wow. Paul was the person with most playoff experience to never make a conference finals before tonight

CP3 (33) and Ovechkin (32) breaking through to their Conference Finals for the first time in the same year.

Let's go, Rockets!

i'm just dying thinking about some fucking nerd in the front office telling michael jordan to play better team defense because his boxsxore +/- is suffering. LOLOLOLOLOL

Just imagine if the Bulls moved him to PG.

Magic was a PG. Oscar was better than CP3. I think Walt Frazier was as well. Clyde wasn't as quick, but was dominant on D and could score at will. CP3 is a better defender and passer than Zeke and is much better than Stockton.

Magic was a PG. Oscar was better than CP3. I think Walt Frazier was as well. Clyde wasn't as quick, but was dominant on D and could score at will. CP3 is a better defender and passer than Zeke and is much better than Stockton.

Where would you put Nash, Payton, Kidd, and Iverson?

Iverson was more of a small SG.

I'd put Payton above Nash due to his D. Kidd would be the bottom of that group, because he couldn't score.

The most forgotten great PG is Pistol Pete. If he played with a team that had some talent while in his prime, I wouldn't be surprised if he would have been on the medal stand with Oscar and Magic. He was uncoverable and was possibly the greatest passer that ever lived. Don't confuse raw assist numbers with passing ability. He knew when his teammate was open even if the player didn't realize it.

Magic was a PG.

Serious question, since I never really watched him-- Did Magic guard PGs on defense? I think that would be the distinction between calling him a point guard or a point forward, right? He's running the offense and bringing the ball up either way, but I can't believe they matched him up with guards on D, right?

They had a lot of players that played multiple positions. In Magic's first four years, the Lakers had Norm Nixon. Most of the time Nixon would cover the PG, but Magic still controlled the ball on offense. Then, they traded Nixon for Byron Scott. For those years, the three main Lakers guards, Magic, Byron and Coop were interchangeable on D.

Something else you have to remember is opponents also switched on D on Magic. Mo Cheeks is a Hall of Fame pure PG, but the Sixers often put the other guard on Magic. So did the Pistons and other teams with small PGs.

Remember, the Lakers had three true forwards on the court for 90++% of the time. For Magic's first few years, they had Jamal Wilkes/Jim Chones/Kupchak and McAdoo with Kareem and Magic. Then, they replaces Wilkes with Worthy and added Rambis.

For many of the years Magic played the Lakers' starting team went - 7'2, 6'9, 6'9 (6'6), 6'5, 6'9.

Magic was a guard.

They had a lot of players that played multiple positions. In Magic's first four years, the Lakers had Norm Nixon. Most of the time Nixon would cover the PG, but Magic still controlled the ball on offense. Then, they traded Nixon for Byron Scott. For those years, the three main Lakers guards, Magic, Byron and Coop were interchangeable on D.

Something else you have to remember is opponents also switched on D on Magic. Mo Cheeks is a Hall of Fame pure PG, but the Sixers often put the other guard on Magic. So did the Pistons and other teams with small PGs.

Remember, the Lakers had three true forwards on the court for 90++% of the time. For Magic's first few years, they had Jamal Wilkes/Jim Chones/Kupchak and McAdoo with Kareem and Magic. Then, they replaces Wilkes with Worthy and added Rambis.

For many of the years Magic played the Lakers' starting team went - 7'2, 6'9, 6'9 (6'6), 6'5, 6'9.

Magic was a guard.

Those Laker teams were ridiculously good and they kept getting better. I mean down low:

Rambis/AC Green
Kareem/Mychal Thompson

I am convinced the only way the Pistons finally caught them is they bolstered their rotation in the paint to:

Mahorn/Rodman
Laimbeer/Spider Salley/James Edwards (once Mahorn left)

Silly good teams.

Back