• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

Those teams would get thrashed by the 2018 Orlando Magic

If Houston wins it all this year and CP3 gets a ring, is he GOAT PG? (Don't count Magic, he was a point-forward)

If you aren’t counting Magic he’s already the GOAT. Getting a ring or two just puts more distance between himself and Steph/Harden (not saying those guys are next in line but they are the only active players with a clear chance of catching Chris)

I think CP3 is firmly #2 behind Magic. Steph will pass him. Maybe Harden as well.

Those Laker teams were ridiculously good and they kept getting better. I mean down low:

Rambis/AC Green
Kareem/Mychal Thompson

I am convinced the only way the Pistons finally caught them is they bolstered their rotation in the paint to:

Mahorn/Rodman
Laimbeer/Spider Salley/James Edwards (once Mahorn left)

Silly good teams.

Jordan's Bulls couldn't beat the Pistons until the Pistons got old. The Bulls would not have beaten Magics Lakers, Doc's Sixers or Bird's Celtics.

1- Magic
2 - Oscar Robertson
3 - John Stockton (he played all 82 games in 16 of 19 seasons). No "DNP-Rest" for him. incredible PG.

Then it gets interesting...Cousy, Steph, CP3...

I think CP3 is firmly #2 behind Magic. Steph will pass him. Maybe Harden as well.

If Harden wins a ship and finals MVP this year I’d put him ahead of Steph at this point. Statistically both are a step below Chris through nine seasons. I don’t think it’s a given that either will age as well as Chris has.

1- Magic
2 - Oscar Robertson
3 - John Stockton (he played all 82 games in 16 of 19 seasons). No "DNP-Rest" for him. incredible PG.

Then it gets interesting...Cousy, Steph, CP3...

That’s the only reason he’s in the conversation. Durability and consistency are important parts of any GOAT discussion but they aren’t the end all be all. Greatness is required and John Stockton was never Great, just consistently very good for a very long time.

If Harden wins a ship and finals MVP this year I’d put him ahead of Steph at this point. Statistically both are a step below Chris through nine seasons. I don’t think it’s a given that either will age as well as Chris has.

Steph and Harden are only 3 and 5 years younger than Paul.

That’s the only reason he’s in the conversation. Durability and consistency are important parts of any GOAT discussion but they aren’t the end all be all. Greatness is required and John Stockton was never Great, just consistently very good for a very long time.

So who were the great NBA PGs of the 80s and 90s? Can you go through the Dream Team roster and note which others players besides Stockton were "never Great?"

Steph and Harden are only 3 and 5 years younger than Paul.

Steph and Harden are at an age where most players start to drop off statistically. Chris didn’t, and maybe they won’t either, but they are already playing from behind in that area. Chris was so good, so early, that they’ve been playing catch-up since day 1.

Maybe my standard of greatness is too high or maybe some of those guys would have been just as great as Steph/Harden/Chris if you plugged them into today’s game.

stockton is/was great. that’s really not up for debate.

CP3 is basically the modern Stockton in terms of his game. Heady, dirty, not an elite athlete, but gets the job done.

CP3 is basically the modern Stockton in terms of his game. Heady, dirty, not an elite athlete, but gets the job done.

Chris is a much better scorer. And was an elite athlete for his first 4 1/2 years in the league. Two of which were some of the greatest ever individual seasons from a point guard.

Back