• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

Perhaps. I believe I'm on record saying 45-37 for them, which would likely get them in. Looking at some of the projections recently posted, though, perhaps I've been a little too optimistic. Certainly not 56-win optimistic like Wrangor, though.

Huh? Yes, I'm saying the bottom of the West will be better and therefore will play the Spurs tougher, which could lead to a few more losses than last season versus those teams. We're talking about the Spurs' win total, so I don't understand what their play against "other playoff teams" has to do with anything, but obviously I think they'll play those teams tougher, too.

It’s worth noting that the 4 teams behind them in the standings (Wolves, Nuggets, Clippers, Lakers) went 10-4, 9-5, 13-3, and 10-6, respectively, meaning they have fewer wins “at risk” from having all of teams out West be competitive. Not to mention that two of those teams got older in a good way, and the other added the best player in the league.

So do you think the Spurs will make the playoffs?

Those O/U seem to think the Spurs will take a bigger hit than other WC playoff teams.

Why wouldn’t they? There are obvious reasons why the Spurs are so dominant against shit teams. If there are fewer shit teams then of course it’s going to impact the Spurs worse than day the Wolves or the Nuggets.

I think there are going to be about 6 teams fighting for the final one or two playoff spots in the West and I expect the Spurs to be in that group. I’m certainly not going to bet against Pop in that situation but I’m not going to bet on the Spurs either.

As things stand now (with everyone healthy), a reasonable projection is that the Spurs are among a group of 7 teams that will be in the mix for spots 4 through 10 in the West. Would not call it likely that the Spurs do not make the playoffs (would happily take the Spurs on an even money bet to make the playoffs), but a playoff spot is not a given either. That said, the projections can't anticipate all circumstances impacting teams during the season (e.g., how would the Pelican's prospects look if AD goes down early?).

As things stand now (with everyone healthy), a reasonable projection is that the Spurs are among a group of 7 teams that will be in the mix for spots 4 through 10 in the West. Would not call it likely that the Spurs do not make the playoffs (would happily take the Spurs on an even money bet to make the playoffs), but a playoff spot is not a given either. That said, the projections can't anticipate all circumstances impacting teams during the season (e.g., how would the Pelican's prospects look if AD goes down early?).

Interested in who you see as #3.

That also leaves all of the Clippers, Mavs, Grizzlies, and Suns out. I think at least one of those finishes in the top 10, my bet being on the Mavs.

Interested in who you see as #3.

That also leaves all of the Clippers, Mavs, Grizzlies, and Suns out. I think at least one of those finishes in the top 10, my bet being on the Mavs.

I'm all in on Utah. They finished last season on 29-6 run, including multiple blowouts of GSW. The Jazz 4-2 win over OKC was not a fluke, and the injury to Donovan Mitchell kept the Jazz from extending the Rockets series. Barring injuries, think the Jazz are a cut above all teams in the West other the GSW and Houston (and don't think the Jazz are far behind Houston).

Mavs will be an interesting team to follow. Will need to see how all of the pieces come together before considering them to be a playoff threat.

I'm all in on Utah. They finished last season on 29-6 run, including multiple blowouts of GSW. The Jazz 4-2 win over OKC was not a fluke, and the injury to Donovan Mitchell kept the Jazz from extending the Rockets series. Barring injuries, think the Jazz are a cut above all teams in the West other the GSW and Houston (and don't think the Jazz are far behind Houston).

Mavs will be an interesting team to follow. Will need to see how all of the pieces come together before considering them to be a playoff threat.

That�s what I figured, and I generally agree. I think the Jazz will finish 3rd with no other team within 4 games in either direction.

And in other not surprising news, 76ers first round draft pick is injured in summer league play.

Rumors are James Johnson took down all his heat pictures on social media cause he's about to be traded

And in other not surprising news, 76ers first round draft pick is injured in summer league play.

The basketball gods sent some karma to the Sixers for trading a local kid, whose mom works for the team and is better than the guy he was traded for.

And it's a broken foot for Z. Smith. Rj, it doesn't matter that they traded Bridges, he would have gotten hurt too. Sixers rookie curse continues

I like the new shot clock reset rule. I’d like to see that in college where end of game fouling is more common.

Resetting to 14 is total BS as is resetting to 14 after a non-shooting foul. Neither of those give the offense the benefit they deserve for making a good play.

Back