• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

Not UC-something, it was Loyola-Marymount.

It was actually a chain of assistants. First, Jack McKinney had a brutal bike accident while coaching the Lakers and was replaced by another Dr. Jack devotee and mad scientist, Assistant Coach Paul Westhead, who won an NBA title and then was replaced by Magic Johnson's pick, Assistant Coach Pat Riley.

Last edited:
Official 2017 NBA Thread: who cares

“Fire” is the key word.

I’m talking about situations in which an AD/GM straight up fired a head coach and decided an assistant from that same staff was the best choice to replace him.

I will say that firing Casey looks like a good move in retrospect. The Raptors got swept by a team that got taken to 7 twice and got swept in the Finals.

I think there’s a good chance Casey will get the Pistons to firmly mediocre as well.

Last edited:
when Danny Manning was fired and Evan Manning took over!

College football:

- George O'Leary (assistant at GT under Bill Lewis) - Won an ACC title, two ACC COY and was hired by ND (for a month)
- Phil Fulmer (assistant at TN under Johnny Majors) - Won an NC, two SEC titles, 5 division titles and 10+ games 6 times
- Clay Helton (assistant at USC under Steve Sarkisian) - Won a Pac 10 title, 2 top 10s in three years (#3 in 2016); two division titles 27-10 overall record

College Hoop

- Steve Fisher (assistant at Michigan to Bill Frieder) - Won NC

College football:

- George O'Leary (assistant at GT under Bill Lewis) - Won an ACC title, two ACC COY and was hired by ND (for a month)
- Phil Fulmer (assistant at TN under Johnny Majors) - Won an NC, two SEC titles, 5 division titles and 10+ games 6 times
- Clay Helton (assistant at USC under Steve Sarkisian) - Won a Pac 10 title, 2 top 10s in three years (#3 in 2016); two division titles 27-10 overall record

College Hoop

- Steve Fisher (assistant at Michigan to Bill Frieder) - Won NC

Frieder had accepted the job at Arizona State. That's why Schembechler fired him and promoted Fisher at the end of the regular season.

Majors had health issues as pointed out above. Same with Sarkisian.

Regardless, given all the turnover in sports, there aren't many examples of a coach getting fired for losing then one of his assistants taking over and winning.

Casey wasn't fired for losing. Casey had the best record in the East and the 2nd best record in NBA.

Casey was fired for not getting the Raptors past the Cavs. Neither Sarkasian nor Majors (nor Bill Lewis; nor Frieder) had the recent success before the coaching change that Casey had Toronto. Your attempt to split hairs doesn't work because by all accounts Casey did a good/great a job in Toronto (he won the NBA coach of the year; so, NBA voters thought Casey was the best regular season coach in the NBA last year). So, firing Casey and hiring an assistant from his staff is a more akin to successful head coach getting replaced than a craptastic head coach getting replaced for "losing". When a coach gets fired for losing, its because his record sucked. Not the case here.

A better comparison would be the success of an assistant hired after a head coach won the COY.

He lost to the Cavs. That's why he was fired. Losing. We both agree on that although it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't something else for obvious reasons.

I cast a wide net for comparisons and successes because there aren't many at all. We both agree on that as well.

If they took the series to 7, would he have been canned? I doubt it. I think it is mainly because they rolled over and died that series.

so any bets on where LBJ ends up? my bet is lakers but hoping for Sixers to keep some strength in the eastern conference. would love lbj/sixers vs celts in the east and gsw/hou/sas in the west for the next few years.

Hunch that LeBron will stay in the East. Unless he goes to Golden State, would be much harder to keep LeBron's 8 year NBA final streak going in the West. Cleveland outside of LeBron was so bad that literally any Eastern team that LeBron joined would be better than this year's Cavs and an instant threat for an NBA finals run.

Here are two interesting questions:

If the Lakers, sign Lebron will they trade Lonzo as his ballhandling becomes redundant?

Could Magic and Rob Palinka be ballsy enough to trade a package of Lonzo and maybe others before the draft?

Another- Where would the Lakers try to package Lonzo and Deng to open up enough money for more FA?

Hunch that LeBron will stay in the East. Unless he goes to Golden State, would be much harder to keep LeBron's 8 year NBA final streak going in the West. Cleveland outside of LeBron was so bad that literally any Eastern team that LeBron joined would be better than this year's Cavs and an instant threat for an NBA finals run.
LeBron (and his critics) care waaaayy more about his Finals record than his Finals streak. The "road is so much harder in the West" thing is so overblown. He'll have to play the Warriors at some point in the playoffs if he wants to win titles, which is all he cares about.

I'm going Lakers.

Here are two interesting questions:

If the Lakers, sign Lebron will they trade Lonzo as his ballhandling becomes redundant?

Could Magic and Rob Palinka be ballsy enough to trade a package of Lonzo and maybe others before the draft?

Another- Where would the Lakers try to package Lonzo and Deng to open up enough money for more FA?

lonzo runs the break then stands in the corners in the half-court. i fully expect lbj to transition to a stretch 4 that facillitates the offense from the high post on his next contract.

so any bets on where LBJ ends up? my bet is lakers but hoping for Sixers to keep some strength in the eastern conference. would love lbj/sixers vs celts in the east and gsw/hou/sas in the west for the next few years.

i have the same thoughts.... think he ends up on the lakers but would prefer the 76ers (or rox for cp3)

I agree. I was mocked for making a similar point last year about the weakness of the East. On the same end, the only team in the East Lebron could join and be favored to beat the Warriors is the Celtics.

Starting to see some Lebron to Spurs buzz. It makes sense if Lebron doesn't want to join a really young team and/or have to bring over veterans.

The Lakers talk only makes sense if he really wants to live in LA and he has someone he can bring with him. Maybe he can force a Love trade? Maybe PG?

I saw some player or sports analyst suggest he go to OKC. Russ and Lebron going all out vs. Durant would be fun to watch.

I agree. I was mocked for making a similar point last year about the weakness of the East. On the same end, the only team in the East Lebron could join and be favored to beat the Warriors is the Celtics.

Starting to see some Lebron to Spurs buzz. It makes sense if Lebron doesn't want to join a really young team and/or have to bring over veterans.

The Lakers talk only makes sense if he really wants to live in LA and he has someone he can bring with him. Maybe he can force a Love trade? Maybe PG?

I saw some player or sports analyst suggest he go to OKC. Russ and Lebron going all out vs. Durant would be fun to watch.

MOCKED! ok, rj...

PG and LBJ to the lakeshow would be a pretty damn good team. i think they'd need to pair something with deng to move his contract, but if it's kuzma/pics and not ingram that's really nice. convince bro-lo to ring chase back in la instead of the bay and you're in business.

i'm also not sure sixers with lbj arent better than celts. i guess coaching is the big difference. i also cant see kyrie/lbj getting back together again.

The Celts with Lebron would definitely be better than the Sixers with Lebron if only because Simmons and Lebron aren’t a good fit. Kyrie and Lebron have already worked well together. Such a Celtics team would essentially be the 2016 squad plus Tatum and Hayward.

Back