• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - First Half Season Schedule Out

I'm sure the networks aren't having to pay full fare for this cancelled season though, no?

I don't know. Obviously a much smaller scale, but the Hornets charged me full payments for my season tickets for this season and have started for next season as the pandemic has gone on even though they weren't playing. They've since refunded the remainder of this season once it became apparent that they weren't playing again, but I could see the NBA trying to BS the TV networks through this via the promise of a resumed season. The Panthers have fully invoiced us for this season as well even though who knows if they are actually going to play.

I'm sure the networks aren't having to pay full fare for this cancelled season though, no?

This year the league will have to payback some money. I was talking about the bridge period between early next season and when it is fully attended.

But is that because they haven’t allowed a bunch of Americans?

Could be. But with the lack of tourist income they're getting right now, I bet they'd welcome the NBA to a bubble where the league would be constantly testing. And that would be so much safer than anywhere in FL right about now. The league also hates Trump, and DeSantis may be the Trumpiest governor in the country. It would be a nice FU to DeSantis to leave FL for the Bahamas.

Believe that all players report today (or tomorrow) on the 22 NBA teams returning to play. Naturally, all will be or have been tested, and there are rumors that lots of positive tests are expected (or have already been confirmed).

Nikola Jokic tested positive; this will delay his return to the US.

Last edited:
the lakers have been practicing together for a few weeks

i know fans of every team in every sport feel this way about their team but i just know a sixers player is going to either die of or get permanent lung damage from covid

At this point, I'm fine with the NBA going with a 16 team tournament and putting a big old asterisk on the championship.

Day 1 - EC First Round
Day 2 - WC First Round
Day 3 - EC Semis
Day 4 - WC Semis
Day 5 - Break
Day 6 - EC Finals
Day 7 - WC Finals
Days 8 and 9 - Break
Day 10 - NBA Finals

Feel free to make it double elimination after the first round or make the Finals best of 3. But make it quick.

At this point, I'm fine with the NBA going with a 16 team tournament and putting a big old asterisk on the championship.

Day 1 - EC First Round
Day 2 - WC First Round
Day 3 - EC Semis
Day 4 - WC Semis
Day 5 - Break
Day 6 - EC Finals
Day 7 - WC Finals
Days 8 and 9 - Break
Day 10 - NBA Finals

Feel free to make it double elimination after the first round or make the Finals best of 3. But make it quick.

That would be really exciting and fun (and a lot less likely to result in a shutdown, as players might be able to live in a bubble for 10 days; 70+ days is not realistic). Would love it.

Unfortunately, the NBA wants to recoup as much of the lost TV revenue as possible so that leads to 2.5 months of games rather than 10 days.

Last edited:
A 16 team NBA championship would make multiple times the revenue of the Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight, Final Four, and NCAA Championship.

The NBA needs to salvage what they can and move on to a next season that is also at risk.

A 16 team NBA championship would make multiple times the revenue of the Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight, Final Four, and NCAA Championship.

The NBA needs to salvage what they can and move on to a next season that is also at risk.

I agree. And the faster they can eliminate teams and send them home, the safer it becomes for everyone in the bubble. Nobody's going to look at this year's championship as a full value championship, even if they did play 3/4 of the season.

It’s all about trying to recoup full value of tv contracts - that’s the only reason for more regular season games

Back