• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

GS can suspend him in addition to fining him

it did always seem like Poole was an odd duck

I've always loved Green's game but he's a bona fide shithead

same thing in the NFL. von miller swung his helmet in a scrimmage myles garrett style and NFL didn’t have jurisdiction to do anything about it.

Sixers seem to be getting a lot of preseason love. Simmons and Lowe were pretty bullish on them on Bill's latest pod. They've definitely gotten deeper, but I still don't know if I trust their wing defenders to pair with Harden and Maxey. A lot riding on 38 year-old (when the playoffs roll around) PJ Tucker. Danuel House was a sneaky good add for them. I do think Harden will look better this year.

East is just so stacked. Hawks or Cavs with their big offseason moves could be finishing in 8th.

House is a good defender and can shoot iirc but i'll only ever remember him getting kicked out of the Bubble for banging one of the temperature checkers

so the best two teams in the west are coming into the season with major vibes problems

well done, everyone

I'm sure Poole is super annoying in practice and to be around generally, but that video is an awful look for Draymond. Poole was literally just standing there watching the drill, Draymond saunters right up into Poole's face, and then throws an effing haymaker after Poole shoves him in the chest to get him to back off.

Not buying the takes that Poole should've seen a punch coming after shoving Green out of his face. It's a basketball practice, and Green literally got right up in his face. No one is expecting to throw hands in that situation.

I'm sure Poole is super annoying in practice and to be around generally, but that video is an awful look for Draymond. Poole was literally just standing there watching the drill, Draymond saunters right up into Poole's face, and then throws an effing haymaker after Poole shoves him in the chest to get him to back off.

Not buying the takes that Poole should've seen a punch coming after shoving Green out of his face. It's a basketball practice, and Green literally got right up in his face. No one is expecting to throw hands in that situation.
I'm sure Dray is super annoying in practice and to be around generally, too LOL

Eventually the Warriors are gonna have to make some tough decisions. Jordan Poole extension similar to what Herro got is looming, and I just can't see a way where they can keep Steph, Klay, Draymond, Wiggins, and Poole all together with everyone making $30-35M+ each, no matter how willing Lacob is to spend into the luxury tax. Draymond might be the odd man out. Will be fascinating to watch. Something tells me money had a little bit to do with that punch.

saw a Lillard interview where he says Poole is always talking reckless

Hollinger with a good piece on Wembanaya and tanking.

———

The combined impact of the two games has been to create a truly rare event in league annals: Major buzz about the draft before the NBA has even begun its season. Usually, we need the college season to get underway before that happens, but this year the likely top three picks in the draft all play outside the NCAA system. (This could be a sign of the times as well, with insurgents G League Ignite and Overtime Elite rostering the likely second and third picks, Henderson and forward Amen Thompson.)

While we’re here: The competition level in this game was significantly higher than what Wembanyama or Henderson might have faced in, say, the Big 10 or SEC. Actually, the fourth-best and fifth-best players on Wembanyama’s team were recent All-Conference players in those two leagues. For those old-schoolers who wonder if the French prodigy could be doing this at Duke or Gonzaga, donnez moi une break.

———-

The decision to tank isn’t just made willy-nilly by a general manager. This is one of the big-picture moves that absolutely, positively requires buy-in from ownership to pursue. And that adds another variable: Some owners are more than willing if the moment is right. Some are dead-set against it, and some in the middle are reluctant but persuadable.

And this week, the persuadability factor just went up. Waaaaay up. A general manager’s opinion on whether to tank might not have changed, but his owner’s receptiveness to the proposal sure as hell did. Not because any owners were there watching Wemby in person, but because, like I said above, this was an event.

Put yourself in the owners’ shoes: The buzz factor is now through the roof. No longer is your team tanking for some unknown quantity playing halfway around the globe, a maybe stacked upon the maybe of winning the lottery in the first place. Forget that; now you’re tanking for the biggest whale in the ocean. Everyone is talking about him and everyone knows who he is. And all your fans badly want you to tank, including all the VIPs you hobnob with at games and around town.

For owners, tanking just became cool.

———

———-

So, getting back to the big picture, I think we’re basically OK on the tanking front. It’s not that nobody will tank, but it’s pointless for teams to outdo each other beyond a certain point. Additionally, the play-in carrot adds real costs to the decision for middling teams.

Nonetheless, here’s where I expect to see the Wembanyama Effect: Don’t be surprised if some teams go much, much earlier than they otherwise would have. Instead of waiting ’til February, somebody might pull the plug in December. One could easily imagine a team like, say, Charlotte or Portland starting the year 8-19 and figuring “to hell with this.”

Do the math: If you know landing in the bottom six or seven is the goal, and that at least three teams have basically planted their flag in the ground already, you realize there just isn’t a lot of real estate left on Tank Island. Get in early, everyone; they’re not making more.

Ultimately, that’s why the tanking incentive will never totally go away regardless of what optimizations the league makes to the lottery process. Superstars have disproportionate value in the NBA, so the potential rewards are simply too great.

In the case of Wembanyama, in fact, they’ve arguably never been higher.

jaybone needs one more for his 16 team Fantasy NBA league. $100 buy-in. Very active. Weekly prizes.

Back