• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 College Football Thread: Grass Picker Named to CFP Selection Committee!

That defense was stacked at safety. Gattis and Ghee starting with Chip Vaughn in reserve.

Yes. FTW, that defense was stacked everywhere: Safety, corner, LB, DL...

Some key games for WF's ranking and CFP candidacy:

NC at # 11 ND: Would help WF's perceived weak SoS if UNC beat ND in South Bend, and WF then beat UNC in Chapel Hill the next week
UVA at BYU: UVA probably gets ranked with a win; committee looks at ranked wins, particularly on the road
Miami at #17 Pitt: WF's best case scenario would be for Pitt to be ranked as high as possible if WF plays the Panthers in the ACCCG
#6 Michigan at #8 MSU: Another Power V unbeaten will go down
#9 Iowa at Wisconsin: Badgers favored; if they win, Iowa will drop below WF in the ranking
# 12 KY at Miss State: Miss State favored; if they win, WF moves up
#10 Ole Miss at Auburn: see the two above

If #13 WF wins tomorrow, decent chance WF is in the top 10 next week and in the first Football Committee ranking on Tuesday.

We also have the possibility of Pitt picking up a loss and Virginia running the table at BYU, vs. ND, at Pitt, vs. VT to make the ACCCG at 10-2. UVa would be ranked top 20, maybe top 15 going into an ACCCG rematch.

Yes. FTW, that defense was stacked everywhere: Safety, corner, LB, DL...

Some key games for WF's ranking and CFP candidacy:

NC at # 11 ND: Would help WF's perceived weak SoS if UNC beat ND in South Bend, and WF then beat UNC in Chapel Hill the next week
UVA at BYU: UVA probably gets ranked with a win; committee looks at ranked wins, particularly on the road
Miami at #17 Pitt: WF's best case scenario would be for Pitt to be ranked as high as possible if WF plays the Panthers in the ACCCG
#6 Michigan at #8 MSU: Another Power V unbeaten will go down
#9 Iowa at Wisconsin: Badgers favored; if they win, Iowa will drop below WF in the ranking
# 12 KY at Miss State: Miss State favored; if they win, WF moves up
#10 Ole Miss at Auburn: see the two above

If #13 WF wins tomorrow, decent chance WF is in the top 10 next week and in the first Football Committee ranking on Tuesday.

If Auburn wins, I unfortunately could see them jumping us though.

We also have the possibility of Pitt picking up a loss and Virginia running the table at BYU, vs. ND, at Pitt, vs. VT to make the ACCCG at 10-2. UVa would be ranked top 20, maybe top 15 going into an ACCCG rematch.

I think UVA is much improved from when we played earlier in the year and it’s hard to beat a team twice, but I still think it’s a better match up for the Deacs. Pitt has smart big defensive linemen that blow up RPO- don’t think UVA has that same personnel on D. Pitt is also gonna want to slow it down and run it - would rather be in a track meet with UVA.

If Auburn wins, I unfortunately could see them jumping us though.

Maybe, but they have two losses, and the loss to Penn State will continue to look worse. Also, Auburn is #18; it would be very unusual for a team to jump that many spots to beat a team that also won. That said, if WF wins in a nail-biter over Duke, then yes, AU could jump WF, if the Tigers play well against Ole Miss.

Again, which everyone seems to overlook on this media hype of Pitt the surefire ACC champ and Pickett for Heisman: Pitt lost to Western Michigan. They are clearly capable of losing to anyone they play.

Again, which everyone seems to overlook on this media hype of Pitt the surefire ACC champ and Pickett for Heisman: Pitt lost to Western Michigan. They are clearly capable of losing to anyone they play.

I don’t agree with the sentiment we want Pitt, UVA, or anyone we’ve yet to play to keep winning and improving. We want to win every game we play - as is always the mentality. The only way strength of schedule comes into play is if we are trying to get in CFP with one loss or at-large New Year’s Six- and let’s be honest - either is unlikely. We have to run table to get to CFP- And we’re in no matter the quality of our opponents. It’s one thing to “cheer on” teams in our division to protect our chances of winning division if we drop a game or two, but I want whomever we play in Charlotte to have wheels fall off - 1. To give us more media attention, 2. Show ways to beat them, and 3. Hopefully they get worse and not better by then.

Yeah, it's going to be great when we're undefeated and trying to get into the CFP and our best win is against a UVA or Pitt team with three or four losses.

I don’t agree with the sentiment we want Pitt, UVA, or anyone we’ve yet to play to keep winning and improving. We want to win every game we play - as is always the mentality. The only way strength of schedule comes into play is if we are trying to get in CFP with one loss or at-large New Year’s Six- and let’s be honest - either is unlikely. We have to run table to get to CFP- And we’re in no matter the quality of our opponents. It’s one thing to “cheer on” teams in our division to protect our chances of winning division if we drop a game or two, but I want whomever we play in Charlotte to have wheels fall off - 1. To give us more media attention, 2. Show ways to beat them, and 3. Hopefully they get worse and not better by then.

I agree with this, I'm just saying this week all the hype is on Pitt to win the ACC and has cooled on us (look at the bowl projections this week versus a couple of weeks ago). Yes, we gave up 56 to Army, but we don't have anything near as bad as a WMU loss. Basically just saying Wake is still flying under the radar even when undefeated and ranked higher.

I agree with this, I'm just saying this week all the hype is on Pitt to win the ACC and has cooled on us (look at the bowl projections this week versus a couple of weeks ago). Yes, we gave up 56 to Army, but we don't have anything near as bad as a WMU loss. Basically just saying Wake is still flying under the radar even when undefeated and ranked higher.

Agreed. Not sure how we are getting shit for beating an Army team that is 4-3 and has almost knocked off a P5 team on the road every year. We beat them by 14 at Army while Pitt has a home loss to a BAD Western Michigan team.

I'm 100% great flying under the radar as the #13 team in the country

Pitt also fell behind Tennessee 10-0 and only won by a TD. UT is not good.

I'm 100% great flying under the radar as the #13 team in the country

The reliance on FPI also plays into this. That crazy formula still has State with a better chance to win the ACC than us and still has Clemson pretty close to us. They also have Clemson as a top 10 team in the country if you want to know how useless it is.

Back