• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 College Football Thread: Grass Picker Named to CFP Selection Committee!

It’s not a short day drive from Florida, New York, or Massachusetts, and that’s not the point anyway. It takes twice as long to fly there from anywhere compared to Charlotte because you have to change planes (in Charlotte). There’s also not a local educated and well trained talent base. People go to college to get out of places like Greensboro. Any population growth is due to high school dropouts having four kids. There aren’t enough local Bojangles for those people to work at and they’re not qualified to do anything for a big corporation except vacuum the carpet at The Grandover, which is the tackiest big hotel with second rate golf courses next to the interstate highway I’ve ever visited.

I genuinely forget that Greensboro exists. But I love that I’m reminded about it due to folks half defending it which prompts savagery like this.

I will not defend Greensboro just pointing out how the conference's location there is exactly the same as the almighty SEC's in a similar town. The airport argument is super dumb.

My family was trying to find a middle ground to have a get together around the holidays and Greensboro was the middle point for us and my brother’s family.

We are going to Winston instead.

Grew up in NC and admittedly have spent more much time in Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Winston, and Wilmington than Greensboro but it makes sense for conference to move to Charlotte for reasons discussed. Not much going on in Greensboro. Wouldn’t we rather have ACC in Charlotte vs. DC, Boston, NYC, Pitt, or even Atlanta? Atlanta is the de-facto HQ of SEC already.

It's fun watching Charlotte people dump on Greensboro as if Charlotte is the center of the universe and a significant domestic travel hub.

Move the HQ to Bristol, CT. Walk across the street with a tin cup and beg ESPN to throw a dime in it. No airfare.

It's fun watching Charlotte people dump on Greensboro as if Charlotte is the center of the universe and a significant domestic travel hub.

Not exactly a prime vacation destination by any means, but uhh, it's the 6th busiest airport in the country...

Of all the things to dump on Charlotte for, why did you choose airport traffic in CLT which is genuinely a significant domestic travel hub? You could have dumped on so many things but blew it by leading off your insult with a botched basic fact.

Biff is right about the Grandover courses. I know people who drive over from the Triangle to play there and I don't get it. I enjoy Sedgefield. The Cardinal is a good layout. Those are the only two reasons I'll drive to Greensboro until the bball team is the no. 1 seed in the 2023 ACCT.

Let's just move the ACC headquarters to Pinehurst. USGA is there now.

No particularly good games tonight:

Troy (4-3) at #24 Coastal (6-1) -17, O/U 50, 7:30 ESPN2
USF (2-5) at ECU (3-4) -10, O/U 56, 7:30 ESPN

While the ACC fucks over Greensboro, we can remember for two decades Greensboro hosted the greatest basketball tournament in college basketball history. The toughest ticket in sports. Bigger than the NCAA tournament. It was the greatest ever. So fuck wherever they go. They will never top the history of what took place in Greensboro NC.

Maybe they can put that on a plaque Tebow-style at their dying regional airstrip.

All I know is that I moved from Charlotte to Winston a year ago and, despite having to connect through CLT or elsewhere 90% of the time for work travel, I wouldn't trade for anything speeding through security in 5 minutes vs the nightmare that is Charlotte Douglas International Airport.

Last edited:
Maybe they can put that on a plaque Tebow-style at their dying regional airstrip.

I love flying out of Greensboro. You can show up 20 minutes before your flight and have to wait in line behind maybe like five people.

I’ve lived in Greensboro for 16 years now, and I really like it. But having the headquarters of the ACC in either Charlotte or Raleigh does make more sense but I’m not sure if the cost of moving all of the operations is worth any added benefit.

All I know is that I moved from Charlotte to Winston a year ago and, despite having to connect through CLT or elsewhere 90% of the time for work travel, I wouldn't trade speeding through security in 5 minutes vs the nightmare that is Charlotte Douglas International Airport for anything.

Don't you have Global Entry or PreCheck ? I had a huge line for an international flight a few months ago and got through in 20 minutes. Usually I'm through in 5 minutes.

1. The smaller airports are great for convenience and ease of going through security.

2. I have Global Entry but I'm pissed off because I have steel knees and get diverted to the CT scanner every time. Sort of negates some of the Global Entry hassle advantage.

That is all.

ACC demands a real airport.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlot...otte-sets-its-sights-on-acc-headquarters.html

The conference disclosed yesterday what its 15-member school presidents will look at closest when considering whether the ACC stays in its current location — Greensboro — or goes elsewhere. The conference wants a city in the Eastern time zone; one with a growing and diverse population; access to a hub airport; a place that will benefit the ACC’s brand and provide cachet and access to current and prospective sponsors; and a city that allows for reasonable operating costs.

“They’ve set the criteria out there for everybody to see,” Johnny Harris, CEO of real estate firm Lincoln Harris, told CBJ on Wednesday. “And in doing so, it becomes fairly obvious to anybody that’s looked at it that Charlotte would be one of the cities that could meet those criteria.”

One of the ACC’s criteria for its new headquarters is access to a large hub airport. The Greensboro and Raleigh airports “just don’t compete” with Charlotte Douglas International Airport, Gray said, especially with the current expansions.

CLT is home to American Airlines’ second-largest hub and has 180 nonstop flights. Raleigh-Durham International Airport had 57 nonstop routes prior to the pandemic and now has 38, according to the RDU website. Piedmont Triad International Airport, which serves Greensboro, has 16 nonstops.
Business partners including Raycom Sports and ESPN have headquarters or satellite offices in Charlotte.

“It would have to be Charlotte’s to lose,” Signature Sports Group principal Steve Hall said. Signature Sports is based in Charlotte and works extensively in college sports on promotions and sponsorships. The company does not work for the ACC.

Mike Boykin, co-founder of marketing firm Bespoke Sports & Entertainment, said a move to Charlotte would make sense “because it’s the heartbeat of the ACC. It makes perfect sense.”

Boykin and Hall cited the airport and corporate sector as obvious draws.

“Nobody’s going to look at the ACC negatively for being in Greensboro, but they are going to look at the ACC more positively if it’s in Charlotte,” ESPN college football analyst Paul Finebaum told CBJ. Finebaum hosts a daily talk show on ESPN’s Ballantyne-based SEC Network. “It feels like you would be modernizing the league — you wouldn’t still be sitting in someone’s basement in Greensboro.”

Jay Bilas, ESPN’s lead college basketball analyst and a Charlotte resident, told CBJ, “It seems like Charlotte, given the sponsor base, would be a good thought. The footprint of the conference is totally different than it was 20 years ago.”

I have no idea what to expect out of Michigan / Michigan State. I'm just glad one of them has to lose.

I get Charlotte over Greensboro, but I also don't think it matters at all. Feels like the type of shit you argue about in the offseason when there is nothing else to talk about. WGAF?

Back