• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 College Football Thread: Grass Picker Named to CFP Selection Committee!

Official 2021 College Football Thread: It's September ! It's the South! It's Saturday

Wins and losses don’t matter for bowls as long as you get 7 wins.

We are competing to get ranked, for better TV slots, attention, etc. That’s not enough to root for UNC in a Coastal game, but it’s part of the calculus.

You don’t think we’d get a better bowl at 10 wins than seven wins? If anything we need a team like FSU or Louisville with large fan bases not to be bowl eligible or to have more than one loss below us so that we don’t lose out on the fan base argument at bowl selection time.

As you know, we don’t get picked for bowls based on the strength of schedule. We get picked based on number of wins combined with our profile/interest level to the bowl as a school and fanbase. I want to go to the best bowl possible, which means having the most wins possible, and our ACC competitors having the least wins possible.

Until we become candidates for the playoff and need out SOS to matter, I am never, ever going to want other ACC teams to win. Unless I have some sort of soft spot for them. But Florida State and Louisville? Please.

You don’t think we’d get a better bowl at 10 wins than seven wins? If anything we need a team like FSU or Louisville with large fan bases not to be bowl eligible or to have more than one loss below us so that we don’t lose out on the fan base argument at bowl selection time.

As you know, we don’t get picked for bowls based on the strength of schedule. We get picked based on number of wins combined with our profile/interest level to the bowl as a school and fanbase. I want to go to the best bowl possible, which means having the most wins possible, and our ACC competitors having the least wins possible.

Until we become candidates for the playoff and need out SOS to matter, I am never, ever going to want other ACC teams to win. Unless I have some sort of soft spot for them. But Florida State and Louisville? Please.

If we get 10 wins, we're ranked in probably in the Orange Bowl if Clemson is in the CFP. So yes, 10 wins matters. 7, 8, or 9 wins doesn't matter.

I don't think Clemson should be punished in the CFP for losing to Georgia. It's basically a tie. One guy made one great play for UGA that's the margin of the game. We can't say UGA is significantly better than Clemson.

Needless to say, the ACC looks like garbage after Week 1. Clemson should have to run the table in impressive fashion to make it to the CFP after this.

If we get 10 wins, we're ranked in probably in the Orange Bowl if Clemson is in the CFP. So yes, 10 wins matters. 7, 8, or 9 wins doesn't matter.

I don't think Clemson should be punished in the CFP for losing to Georgia. It's basically a tie. One guy made one great play for UGA that's the margin of the game. We can't say UGA is significantly better than Clemson.

Needless to say, the ACC looks like garbage after Week 1. Clemson should have to run the table in impressive fashion to make it to the CFP after this.

Every conference looks garbage. Bottom of P5 and top of non P5 has never been closer.

Big 12: Oklahoma almost lost to Tulane. Iowa State almost lost to Northern Iowa.
Big 10: Illinois(who beat Nebraska) lost to UTSA
Pac 12: Stanford looked bad vs Kansas State. Washington lost to Montana.
SEC: Miss State almost lost to La Tech. Vandy got blown out by ETSU.

Last year was a weird and inconsistent year in college football. There’s bound to be some rust this year, and therefore some unusual outcomes. Most likely things will settle down and the talent discrepancy will begin to reveal itself. But we’ll see. That’s why they play the games.

Speaking of games, that UCLA receiver just had an amazing broken tackle TD.

I don’t know about rust. Maybe lesser teams are benefiting more from everyone coming back.

I’m definitely seeing rust. Some of these teams only played half a season last year. Their rhythms are off. I expect them to settle in. But it’s going to be fun to watch more upsets till then, some of which could have playoff implications.

Hoping that things can change over the next couple of months, but man, it already looks like everyone is playing for 2nd again in the BCS. Losing their OC, Mack Jones and an endless number of talented receivers, three OL and the best RB in college football, you would think Bama's offense would take at least a small step back... nope. The could've scored 60 on Miami if Bama hadn't called off the dogs, and Bama's D is better than last year.

Just don't see anyone close to Bama's class:

UGA's and Clemson's offenses will improve as the season goes on, but their offenses are light year's away from Bama. tOSU's and OU's defenses still are weak (OU gave up 35 to Tulane?).

The ACC's three best teams as projected going into the season (Clemson, Miami, UNC) scored a total of 26 points this weekend. Bama had 27 midway through the 2nd quarter against Miami.

The next best team's in the SEC West struggled LSU lost outright to UCLA; A&M led Kent State 10-3 at the half.

Iowa State is expected to contend for the Big 12; they beat Northern Iowa 16-10.

Washington is expected to contend for the Pac 12 title; not only did they lose to Montana. They scored 7 points. Against Montana.

BTW, 6 FCS teams beat FBS teams over the weekend:

Montana 13 Washington 7
UC Davis 19 Tulsa 17
E. Washington 35 UNLV 33 (this game was 6-3 at the half and went over the total because of the game went OT; OT is such a bad beat for under bettors)
SD State 43 Colorado State 23 (Steve Addazio's stay in Fort Collins will be short)
Holy Cross 38 UCONN 28 (you can cash your under 1.5 UCONN season wins ticket now as Holy Cross, who is a bad FCS team was thought to be UCONN's one guaranteed win this year)
East Tennessee State 23 Vandy 3 (Like Clark Lea, but this has to be the worst ever beat-down of a Power 5 conference team by a FCS team; things are super-ugly in Nashville; the Vandy v. UGA game on September 25 will be fun)

Last edited:
Hoping that things can change over the next couple of months, but man, it already looks like everyone is playing for 2nd again in the BCS. Losing their OC, Mack Jones and an endless number of talented receivers, three OL and the best RB in college football, you would think Bama's offense would take at least a small step back... nope. The could've scored 60 on Miami if Bama hadn't called off the dogs, and Bama's D is better than last year.

Just don't see anyone close to Bama's class:

UGA's and Clemson's offenses will improve as the season goes on, but their offenses are light year's away from Bama. tOSU's and OU's defenses still are weak (OU gave up 35 to Tulane?).

The ACC's three best teams as projected going into the season (Clemson, Miami, UNC) scored a total of 26 points this weekend. Bama had 27 midway through the 2nd quarter against Miami.

The next best team's in the SEC West struggled LSU lost outright to UCLA; A&M led Kent State 10-3 at the half.

Iowa State is expected to contend for the Big 12; they beat Northern Iowa 16-10.

Washington is expected to contend for the Pac 12 title; not only did they lose to Montana. They scored 7 points. Against Montana.

BTW, 6 FCS teams beat FBS teams over the weekend:

Montana 13 Washington 7
UC Davis 19 Tulsa 17
E. Washington 35 UNLV 33 (this game was 6-3 at the half and went over the total because of the game went OT; OT is such a bad beat for under bettors)
SD State 43 Colorado State 23 (Steve Addazio's stay in Fort Collins will be short)
Holy Cross 38 UCONN 28 (you can cash your under 1.5 UCONN season wins ticket now as Holy Cross, who is a bad FCS team was thought to be UCONN's one guaranteed win this year)
East Tennessee State 23 Vandy 3 (Like Clark Lea, but this has to be the worst ever beat-down of a Power 5 conference team by a FCS team; things are super-ugly in Nashville; the Vandy v. UGA game on September 25 will be fun)

The UConn loss is bad no doubt, but Holy Cross has won their conference the last 2 years, so I wouldn't say they are a bad FCS team. Montana, SD State and Eastern Washington are 3 really good FCS programs, not smart scheduling. Yeah, Washington has no excuse to lose to an FCS, but why play a good one? You get no credit no matter which FCS team you play.

Did any ACC team look good this weekend?

Imagine how many times the phrase “Wake Forest transfer” is going to be used every time they show his highlights this weekend - never mind this year. Not the attention we want. The “leave Wake to join the big boys and secure your NFL future” narrative subtly gets confirmed.

You mean like Joe Burrow tOSU trfr? Get over yourself guys. This will be the new normal for lots of schools and a few players. I truly hope KWlll holds up to 300 carries but I doubt it will play out that way.

The UConn loss is bad no doubt, but Holy Cross has won their conference the last 2 years, so I wouldn't say they are a bad FCS team. Montana, SD State and Eastern Washington are 3 really good FCS programs, not smart scheduling. Yeah, Washington has no excuse to lose to an FCS, but why play a good one? You get no credit no matter which FCS team you play.

Good point. This is why we never should have played APP State when they were an FCS power, but it's fine to do so now.

CLT_12_CLEMSON_GEORGIA.JPG

Completely forgot the ACC media simps gave a ND player ROY. Ridiculous. Why buy the cow when ND gets the milk for free? Giving them everything they want is no way to negotiate.

FSU needs an OL. Hope they don't find one before they play us.

Back