• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 College Basketball Thread: UCONN - One Shining Moment

Exactly. The crazy thing is people who are less interested in college basketball as the talent has gone down think they'll be more interested if college basketball moves closer to a college baseball model.

I disagree. I’ve been watching a lot of middle school basketball lately. As one might imagine, the skill level is not good. But it’s super entertaining because I know the players and the games are close. That’s obviously an extreme example, but it illustrates the point.

Sports are entertainment. Fans need storylines, personalities, drama, rivalries, etc to compel them. The lack of year-to-year player continuity in college basketball diminishes all this. The Greensboro Swarm are way more talented than Wake, but they only average 1000 fans because no one knows the players, coaches, history, rivalries, etc.

Zoinks.

P.S. Just looked it up and had no idea Texas was ranked #2. Guess that’s what happens after 10 years of total irrelevance.

Texas is/was in line to be #1 after Houston lost this past weekend.

Beard's career was focused on getting the Texas job and winning a Natty. Positioned perfectly, and then this. Don't see him keeping his job unless the circumstances are completely different from current appearances.

Texas also lost to Illinois last week. Horns down indeed.

The preliminary reports here are very reminiscent of the recent Marcell Ozuna incident. There certainly should be a higher standard of scrutiniy to allow a coach/leader of men to keep his job vs. allowing a baseball player to play out his ridiculous contract.

I disagree. I’ve been watching a lot of middle school basketball lately. As one might imagine, the skill level is not good. But it’s super entertaining because I know the players and the games are close. That’s obviously an extreme example, but it illustrates the point.

Sports are entertainment. Fans need storylines, personalities, drama, rivalries, etc to compel them. The lack of year-to-year player continuity in college basketball diminishes all this. The Greensboro Swarm are way more talented than Wake, but they only average 1000 fans because no one knows the players, coaches, history, rivalries, etc.

I agree with this. In my mind players like Childress, Duncan, and Howard will always be more significant because we got know them and watch them grow and develop over 4 or more years. But players like CP3 and John Collins came and went too fast. Great players to be sure and I don't fault them for leaving early at all. But it does lessen their "legacy"

BTW, UCONN is loaded.

The Huskies have a 7-2 freshman named Donovan Clingan who was not a top 50 recruit and not offered by KY, Kanas, Duke or UNC, but he is the real deal. The next Zach Edy. Clingan is shooting a ridiculous 77% from the field. This is how stacked UCONN is: Clingan doesn't start and hasn't played more than 19 minutes in any game. UCONN can shoot -- 58% effective FG% and defend -- 42% effective FG% defense.

UCONN has played 5 games against top 100 teams, and they have won each by an average of 19 ppg. Danny Hurley is 2-4 in the NCAAT in his career; so, he is fully capable of F-ing this up, but UCONN is a beast this year. They are 11-0 and according to KP, will be favored in every game (only Big East games left) the rest of the way.

BTW, UCONN is loaded.

The Huskies have a 7-2 freshman named Donovan Clingan who was not a top 50 recruit and not offered by KY, Kanas, Duke or UNC, and he is the real deal. The next Zach Edy. Clingan is shooting a ridiculous 77% from the field. This is how stacked UCONN is: Clingan doesn't start and hasn't played more than 19 minutes in any game. UCONN can shoot -- 58% effective FG% and defend -- 42% effective FG% defense.

UCONN has played 5 games against top 100 teams, and they have won each by an average of 19 ppg. Danny Hurley is 2-4 in the NCAAT in his career; so, he is fully capable of F-ing this up, but UCONN is a beast this year. They are 11-0 and according to KP, will be favored in every game (only Big East games left) the rest of the way.

I think Hurley just nudged in front of Beard on that list of top coaches in the NCAA.

BTW, UCONN is loaded.

The Huskies have a 7-2 freshman named Donovan Clingan who was not a top 50 recruit and not offered by KY, Kanas, Duke or UNC, but he is the real deal. The next Zach Edy. Clingan is shooting a ridiculous 77% from the field. This is how stacked UCONN is: Clingan doesn't start and hasn't played more than 19 minutes in any game. UCONN can shoot -- 58% effective FG% and defend -- 42% effective FG% defense.

This is probably the best UConn team I've seen. They've got multiple scorers, they're deep and they play excellent defense. Hurley has done a great job bringing the program back.

Wisconsin is ranked now after beating Iowa and Maryland this past week. So, the road win in Madison is looking better.

Purdue is the new #1, UVA is #2 and UCONN is #3.

Duke is #12, VT is #24 and Miami is #25.

Back