• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 College Basketball Thread: UCONN - One Shining Moment

Liberty will probably hire Beard in the next couple of years and claim he's a "reborn Christian" who's "found Jesus." Then Baylor will hire him after he finds success at Liberty under the same biblical premise.

Isn't the good Buzz still at A&M?
4 years in and unless he makes the tournament this year, his best season was last year's 27-13 record with an NIT runner-up.

6-3 this year with one KenPom top-100 win (DePaul, which is 97th). A&M can't fire Jimbo so maybe they'll take it out on Buzz.

Beard’s lawyer apparently stated that the complainant-family member wants all charges dropped and Beard released.

If true, I cynically wonder if Beard did do whatever it is he was arrested for doing and the complainant-family member has now realized that if Beard gets fired, there goes their lifestyle.

Beard’s lawyer apparently stated that the complainant-family member wants all charges dropped and Beard released.

If true, I cynically wonder if Beard did do whatever it is he was arrested for doing and the complainant-family member has now realized that if Beard gets fired, there goes their lifestyle.

I'm not a lawyer but if it's a domestic attack on a female, does the victim really have a say in this matter? I know in NC if a woman is hit, the guy immediately is taken to jail.

Ray Rice's wife wanted the charges dropped even after the elevator video was released to the public. Your cynicism is warranted. It's a sad reality for cases like this.

Ding, ding, ding.

And this is why I thought the attorney suing the Buffalo punter made a huge mistake in not sending a copy of the suit to be filed before the actual filing. He could have gotten a good settlement, but now the punter is unemployable in the league - and probably a lot of other places. Good luck collecting now.

I'm not a lawyer but if it's a domestic attack on a female, does the victim really have a say in this matter? I know in NC if a woman is hit, the guy immediately is taken to jail.
Yea I mean my understanding is that the phrase “press charges” is a bit of a non-sequitur and that at the end of the day a prosecutor can more or less do what they want as far as whether or not to charge, but that if the victim doesn’t want to pursue it/participate/etc. it makes the case a lot harder and in some cases impossible (depending on the type of crime and other evidence available).

I’m a lawyer but not a criminal lawyer or prosecutor or anything like that, so I’m sure there are folks here who can correct me.

Exactly. If my wife made that kind of money and gave me the credit card, she could strangle me once a week.

Ding, ding, ding.

And this is why I thought the attorney suing the Buffalo punter made a huge mistake in not sending a copy of the suit to be filed before the actual filing. He could have gotten a good settlement, but now the punter is unemployable in the league - and probably a lot of other places. Good luck collecting now.
Not trying to hijack this thread, but last week, the San Diego DA announced last week that no criminal charges would be filed against Matt Araiza (the SD State/Bills) punter because the evidence was "conflicting". There still is a pending civil suit against Araiza.

This is Texas. And he’s a big time college coach.

My wife was a prosecutor in the family violence division in a Texas county (Bexar). I learned that if the victim does not cooperate the chances of getting a conviction are basically zero unless you have video or other witnesses, which is almost never the case.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but last week, the San Diego DA announced last week that no criminal charges would be filed against Matt Araiza (the SD State/Bills) punter because the evidence was "conflicting". There still is a pending civil suit against Araiza.
I was mostly commenting on income sources and not wanting to lose said sources. I used to do some domestic law, and when you represent women with children, you don't want the abuser to lose his job because she needs the child support coming in. And I just thought it was a bit wacky of the victim's attorney in that case to file the case before trying to settle it because you know (or should know) his ass is getting cut as soon as that suit is filed. Punters are fungible. Years back, I spoke with someone who had been a sexual harassment victim of someone who was well off and well known locally. I referred her to a friend who sent a demand letter, and it was quickly and quietly settled with an NDA. That's how you get paid. What's the point of filing suit, and punishing the guy publicly but not getting any money as redress.

To help make sure a dangerous violent dude doesn't hurt someone else.

To help make sure a dangerous violent dude doesn't hurt someone else.
If he's a violent dude, filing a suit won't change that. It just publicizes that fact. The whole point of filing civil suits for money damages (as opposed to injunctive relief) is to obtain said money damages. Getting a paper judgment against someone who is not employed does not accomplish that.

So State just got a Top 50 7-footer who signed last week and could see action this month?

Back