• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 College Basketball Thread: UCONN - One Shining Moment

This got overlooked this weekend.

UC lost to Xavier in a close game. With UC down at home by 1, after UC rebounded the intentional Xavier FT miss with 0.9 seconds left, Wes Miller called a timeout he didn't have, which gave Xavier two free throws and extended Xavier's lead to 3.

Is it possible it was it intentional so that he would have an inbound play to draw up instead of trying to get a shot up off a rebound?

Is it possible it was it intentional so that he would have an inbound play to draw up instead of trying to get a shot up off a rebound?
Would you really want to take the time to set up full court play where you have to take a 3 to tie the game when any shot would have won the game had you not taken the timeout?

Would you really want to take the time to set up full court play where you have to take a 3 to tie the game when any shot would have won the game had you not taken the timeout?

With 0.9 sec left, I can see it.

with that little time left I think you're much more likely to get a decent look off an inbound play vs off a rebound.

Of course we're talking like 2% vs 0.5% so either way it's a super low probability

Well, the brilliance stopped a UC player from turning up court and actually getting a shot up in exchange for failing to even inbound the ball.

BTW, UCONN is loaded.

The Huskies have a 7-2 freshman named Donovan Clingan who was not a top 50 recruit and not offered by KY, Kanas, Duke or UNC, but he is the real deal. The next Zach Edy. Clingan is shooting a ridiculous 77% from the field. This is how stacked UCONN is: Clingan doesn't start and hasn't played more than 19 minutes in any game. UCONN can shoot -- 58% effective FG% and defend -- 42% effective FG% defense.

Watched U-Conn destroy Florida last week. Clingan moves incredibly well, and effectively neutralized the Gators' Colin Castleton (pre-season All SEC). Florida generally shoots well, but U-Conn limited them to 30%. Granted, Florida is a middle-of-the-pack SEC team, but U-Conn just totally dominated them. Was super impressed with them.

Light afternoon, so took some time to look for tickets to Saturday's game at Rutgers. While doing some reading, I inevitably see all the garbage about pay for play, football obsession, and the (lack of a) future for this sport and am teetering on finding something else to do with a couple hundred bucks. Ugh this is such a disgraceful mess. I honestly don't think caring about college sports is reasonable at the moment given the current hellscape, but in the event that I am able to look past the bullshit and just focus on 40 minutes of a sport I love and not the issues that actually matter, I think Rutgers is a tough matchup for us but not a team we can't beat. They have good length 1-5. Their starting center that plays around 28 minutes a game offers very little in terms of an outside shot, but is still more nimble than Marsh or Bradford, and too powerful for Carr to guard. If Marsh can play 25ish minutes and guard him well while running the high pick and roll with Appleby effectively, we will once again have a chance to win. We just need to not shoot atrociously from the perimeter. Monsanto has been downright terrible so far this season and that needs to change. Carr has been really disappointing too but hopefully they both come into their own. There really aren't very many teams without holes due to the very hellscape I referred to earlier, so having major holes like we do doesn't rule us out from getting good wins.
Didn't want to let the Chris Beard news bury this sad sack ass post. My god dude. Get a new hobby.

the TO by Wes was definitely intentional

not a great decision (they would have had a half-court heave for the win; instead they were unlikely to be facing the basket for a tying prayer) but he clearly meant to do it

the TO by Wes was definitely intentional

not a great decision (they would have had a half-court heave for the win; instead they were unlikely to be facing the basket for a tying prayer) but he clearly meant to do it
I don't understand this. Doesn't calling a TO you don't have result in a technical - which means the other team gets a FT AND the ball out of bounds? So you not only potentially lose a point but you no longer have the ball??

Very unfortunate, and to echo the sentiments above, she is his fiance so if she leaves him (or he leaves her) she isn't receiving anything from him the way she might in a divorce. And it's not up to her whether he is prosecuted, but it's basically impossible for the State to get a verdict against him when the alleged victim will not testify as to what happened and he cannot be compelled to testify. You'd basically just have the arresting officer who cannot testify as to anything the non-testifying victim said, so essentially no evidence.
Put her ass on the stand. She’s not going to take the fifth.

I always knew he was overrated, but didn't realize he was an idiot as well.

Xavier can make the first and miss the second one again. Or just miss both. Prosser called his last TO in the ACCT vs Maryland after we fouled with the score tied with 2 seconds left. Williams had the guard miss the second and the rebound bounced around and game over.

Xavier can make the first and miss the second one again. Or just miss both. Prosser called his last TO in the ACCT vs Maryland after we fouled with the score tied with 2 seconds left. Williams had the guard miss the second and the rebound bounced around and game over.

better to just make both FT's when up 1, so that you don't lose on a miracle shot. If you miss the first, go ahead and miss the second

if you are up 1 very very late, a miracle shot beats you whether you are up 1 or 2 so it makes sense to miss (as GW did)

Back