• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 College Basketball Thread: UCONN - One Shining Moment

Yeah neither Omier nor Walker shoot the 3 ball, so we can go big and try to impact it that way.

Also random observation - he was a pretty good rebounder last season. I remember a couple games last season where he had serious bounce, and I don't see that as much this season. Which seems strange, since he also lost a lot of weight.
That is random timing as the Georgia Tech game was his Wake Forest career high in rebounds with 9. He also grabbed 7 each of the prior two games, so you could argue he is currently rebounding at his best clip of his career right now.

If we beat Miami, it is because Monsanto goes off. 60% from three on high-volume. GT was the worst game I've seen him play since early in the season, not just shooting but some sloppy passes. Also random observation - he was a pretty good rebounder last season. I remember a couple games last season where he had serious bounce, and I don't see that as much this season. Which seems strange, since he also lost a lot of weight.

I don't see any other path to victory, cause we are not going to be able to stop the Canes.
He set a career high at Wake in rebounds against Tech. He's the third best defensive rebounder on the team. His ORB% numbers have definitely dropped, but I assume that's due to team makeup and what we're asking of him more than anything.

Last edited:
That is random timing as the Georgia Tech game was his Wake Forest career high in rebounds with 9. He also grabbed 7 each of the prior two games, so you could argue he is currently rebounding at his best clip of his career right now.
Monsanto was quite a bit better at ETSU and last season in ORB. Defensive is about the same as last year, he was better at ETSU.

Maybe partly its scheme. Just eye test, I don't see the same bounce that I remember last season. Which is weird since he was coming off injury.

Duke plays ND, @Syracuse, Louisville, VT, NCSU, and @UNC... I'd like Duke to win all of those games and get back to a Quad 1. Duke is getting into the NCAAs regardless, so I don't see much to be gained from them sucking. I do, however, want them to beat the shit out of UNC in that finale and hopefully end UNC's chances of an at-large bid and any Q1 victories.

Definitely rooting for Wisconsin... Shouldn't take much for them to get back to Top 75 in NET. They have 4 home games left, all against decent opponents... If they can win 2-3 of those, they'll be back to a Q1 for us. Yeah, they are also a competitor, but I'm still more focused on Wake Forest winning basketball games than what others do. Run the table in the regular season (we won't) and we should have a strong enough resume to get in, regardless of others.
The only thing we have to gain from Duke losing is potential ACCT seeding.

Monsanto had one rebound at Georgia Tech in his first game back that looked very athletic. Everyone commented on how he apparently was healed.

Since then he has not displayed any jump-out-of-the-gym highlights that I can recall. However, he is rebounding better.

Offensively, he's standing 23 feet away from the basket on basically every shot attempt. He is unlikely to get many rebounds from that position. As a freshman at ETSU he actually attempted more 2-point shots than 3's, which means he was generally closer to the basket - not just on his own shots. Last year he had a total of 18 offensive rebounds, so it's hard to read much from a small sample size.

I assume pre-achilles injury, and especially in the SoCon, he was just taller, faster, bigger, stronger than his opponents night in and night out. That contributes greatly towards grabbing boards and getting inside to score.

Yea I want to believe but I just can’t see it with Miami. Pitt and NC State was our best chance for quality wins and I’m afraid the matchup with Miami is much tougher than either of those.

2022 - Miami wins 92-84
2020 - Miami wins 71-54
2019 - Miami wins 76-65
2018 - Miami wins 87-81
2016 - Miami wins 77-63
2014 - Miami wins 69-56
2012 - Miami wins 74-56
2010 - Miami wins 67-66
2009 - Miami wins 79-52
2007 - Wake wins 59-58 - SUCK IT MIAMI!!! Visser with 15 & 14; Hale with 17 & 8
2006 - Miami wins 78-69
2005 - Wake wins 68-63 - SUCK IT AGAIN HURRICANES!!! CP3 goes for 13-6-8

I had no idea it had been that long or that bad. Yikes.

2-10 since they joined the ACC.

in 2009, WF went to Miami with 4 dudes who all played 10+ years in the NBA and earned $300 million (2 of them still playing), plus 3 other top 100 recruits (!) and got rolled by 27

Miami had one future NBA player on the roster, DeQuan Jones. He played 63 games in the NBA. He scored 3 points in the win over WF.

in 2009, WF went to Miami with 4 dudes who all played 10+ years in the NBA and earned $300 million (2 of them still playing), plus 3 other top 100 recruits (!) and got rolled by 27

Miami had one future NBA player on the roster, DeQuan Jones. He played 63 games in the NBA. He scored 3 points in the win over WF.

Well, sure... But Jack McClinton.

32 points

Jimmy Graham also on that squad.

AP HEADLINE: Slumping Wake can't overcome Miami zone
Jack McClinton scored a season-high 32 points and Miami used a zone defense to stymie Wake Forest, which lost its second straight game, 79-52.

Well, sure... But Jack McClinton.

32 points

Jimmy Graham also on that squad.

AP HEADLINE: Slumping Wake can't overcome Miami zone
Jack McClinton scored a season-high 32 points and Miami used a zone defense to stymie Wake Forest, which lost its second straight game, 79-52.

I remember when a Wake slump was only losing back to back games.

And sadly that wasn't even the 2008-2009 squad's most embarrassing performance that season in Miami...

Coach K makes his return to Cameron tonight. Looks like Duke created some special uniforms to honor K and ESPN has done nothing but talk about K since this game tipped.

Back