• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 College Basketball Thread: UCONN - One Shining Moment

I don't really follow any of the metrics, and while the cmte. obviously will look at our entire "body of work" over the entire season, in my mind after the past week off our "regular" season is over we're now in our own little "play-in" tournament for these last 5 games.
Again just my uniformed feeling of how it plays out:
Go 5-0 or 4-1 and we're in; ACC tournament is just for seeding purposes.
Go 3-2 and we're in at that point, but lose the 1st round of the ACC and we're likely out.
Go 2-3 and we have to win 2 in the ACC tournament to be "on the bubble", and getting in is then highly dependent on what happens to other bubble teams and the whims of the cmte. (i.e. we're in typical "bubble territory" like a handful of other teams)
Go 1-4 or 0-5 and we have to win the ACC.
I like this game and think it's a lot more productive to think about what things will look like on Selection Sunday than discuss where we think we stand on the bubble here in mid February.

5-0: In. This would mean 2 additional Q1 Ws, top 4 in the ACC and our metrics would improve significantly.
4-1: Likely in pending Wisco or Duke finishing in Q1 territory. 13-7 with just 1 Q1 might not do it, 2 Q1s would.
3-2: Very unlikely. We would need at least one of Duke or Wisco to be Q1 and would need to get at least one Q1 win in the ACCT.

Anything worse and we'd need to win the tournament.

Quirky college basketball scheduling notes regarding the two NCAA D1 Independents (Hartford and Chicago State):

In 2021, University of Hartford won the America East tournament , received an NCAA bid and lost to eventual nation champ Baylor in the first round.

Last year, amid controversy, in part because the Hartford hoop program was actually solid for a low major, Hartford announced that they were transitioning from D1 to D3. This caused every decent player in the program to transfer and the coach to quit.

Hartford left the America East, but they are still a D1 Team (an independent) for this season and next. This Sunday (February 18th), Hartford plays their last game of the season against Chicago State (the only other basketball independent). So, the team will be able to fully enjoy Spring Break. Hartford is 5-21 (they have elected to not play the maximum allowable 31 regular season games for teams that don't play in a MTE or a conference tournament). 3 of Hartford's 5 wins are against non-D1 teams. KP ranks Hartford as the worst of the 363 D1 teams.

The other indy, Chicago State, will play 31 games and they have been feisty with wins over Valpo, Coastal Carolina, Citadel, IUPUI and of course Hartford (and a ton of road covers against teams unprepared to play an OOC game in the middle of the conference season). Chicago State will continue to play games until March 4th, including at Gonzaga, on March 1, which was kind of ballsy scheduling for Gonzaga, because the opening round of their tournament is March 2nd, but the Zags anticipated getting a bye until the semis which aren't played in until March 6th.

Last edited:
I agree with most of that except I don't think 3-2 is in assuming we don't lose in the first round. At 3-2 I think we would need the semis of the ACCT to feel good about it.

I've just felt for most of the year that 13-7 in ACC play is the magic number for us.

I agree with most of that except I don't think 3-2 is in assuming we don't lose in the first round. At 3-2 I think we would need the semis of the ACCT to feel good about it.

I've just felt for most of the year that 13-7 in ACC play is the magic number for us.
Q1 wins matter to the committee. You have to have them. 13-7 with 3 Q1 Ws? Lock. 13-7 with 1? Probably in, but who knows.

Quirky college basketball scheduling notes regarding the two NCAA D1 Independents (Hartford and Chicago State):

In 2021, University of Hartford won the America East tournament , received an NCAA bid and lost to eventual nation champ Baylor in the first round.

Last year, amid controversy, in part because the Hartford hoop program was actually solid for a low major, Hartford announced that they were transitioning from D1 to D3. This caused every decent player in the program to transfer and the coach to quit.

Hartford left the America East, but they are still a D1 Team (an independent) for this season and next. This Sunday (February 18th), Hartford plays their last game of the season against Chicago State (the only other basketball independent). So, the team will be able to fully enjoy Spring Break. Hartford is 5-21 (they have elected to not play the maximum allowable 31 regular season games for teams that don't play in a MTE or a conference tournament). 3 of Hartford's 5 wins are against non-D1 teams. KP ranks Hartford as the worst of the 363 D1 teams.

The other indy, Chicago State, will play 31 games and they have been feisty with wins over Valpo, Coastal Carolina, Citadel, IUPUI and of course Hartford (and a ton of road covers against teams unprepared to play an OOC game in the middle of the conference season). Chicago State will continue to play games until March 4th, including at Gonzaga, on March 1, which was kind of ballsy scheduling for Gonzaga, because the opening round of their tournament is March 2nd, but the Zags anticipated getting a bye until the semis which aren't played in until March 6th.
Probably doesn't matter for Gonzaga. Wanted a game to bridge the gap from WCC play to the semis but not a real competition and if they have to play before they'd just pay out Chicago State anyways

L'ville Basketball continues to hit new lows:

One coach on the L'ville bench must feel right at home.

L'ville Basketball continues to hit new lows:

One coach on the L'ville bench must feel right at home.

Not trying to defend loserville, but I always hate these photos. Clearly 10 minutes left until game time. They will probably fill in decent.

if louisville keeps this up, they gonna get all acc teams that do make the tournament a 7 seed or worse

Crowd that is there sounds solid honestly. They're still gonna lose by double digits despite the start

GT doing its best to blow this against VT.

And VT hasn’t been doing themselves any favors, either.

Back