• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is annoying to watch Elko come in and beat Clemson season 2, when we have had 9 tries at it and failed. That stings no matter what anyone says, Clemson had a fluke game, blah blah.

Starting to feel like Clemson's golden age has come and gone, especially with the super conferences now locked in at B10 and SEC level. Going to be really hard to out recruit them in the coming years. They can still be a top-15ish team, I just think there ceiling will have to lower a tad no matter what.

In general, I agree. But this is potentially the worst Clemson team in the past decade. That QB1 looks very, very average.

Waaaayyyyy overreacting to the 1st game. Games like that can happen, where what can go wrong did go wrong in the red zone. Clemson could easily run the table the rest of the way. Firing Dabo? I mean seriously??? Fellas........

I'll bet you $500 Clemson does not run the table the rest of the way. That team has some serious issues and it showed.

Without doing any actual research to confirm, my sense is Dabo has not embraced the portal and he has promoted from within almost exclusively.
This has never been more evident than the 24-hour span of Sunday night to Monday night.

FSU already had one of the best WRs in the country (Johnny Wilson) and added a guy good enough to score three TDs against a top-5 team in his debut (Keon Coleman).

Clemson thought its stick figure sophomore QB and Little Lincoln could solve every offensive issue from the past 2 years and said, "naw, the big hulking WRs who can't separate that we've had are good enough for us."

Fluke isn't the right term since obviously Duke looked solid. At the same time, they ran for fewer yards, threw for fewer yards, had 10 fewer rushing attempts, 10 fewer receptions, turned the ball over, and yet they still won. Two of the fumbles by Clemson weren't even caused by Duke, they just gave it to them.

And lol at Elko being a "Duke lifer." Duke's going to lose 3 of 4 in the Notre Dame/FSU/NC State/Louisville section of their schedule and 11 students will show up for the Wake game as college basketball starts up.

Waaaayyyyy overreacting to the 1st game. Games like that can happen, where what can go wrong did go wrong in the red zone. Clemson could easily run the table the rest of the way. Firing Dabo? I mean seriously??? Fellas........
I mean how many times have we seen programs hang on to coaches past their time to the point where a rebuild is required? Clemson should be asking itself what gives it the best chance to stay competitive for championships right now. The answer might still be Dabo, but if I was a Clemson fan I'd have serious concerns over his complete unwillingness to play the portal game and his flippant responses about NIL.

This has never been more evident than the 24-hour span of Sunday night to Monday night.

FSU already had one of the best WRs in the country (Johnny Wilson) and added a guy good enough to score three TDs against a top-5 team in his debut (Keon Coleman).

Clemson thought its stick figure sophomore QB and Little Lincoln could solve every offensive issue from the past 2 years and said, "naw, the big hulking WRs who can't separate that we've had are good enough for us."
It’s not like Dabo can use the ACC excuse to ignore transfer portal / NIL, to your point FSU is doing it successfully

Disagree

Duke did not play that well and still won by 3 TDs

Dabo is getting exposed for ignoring the portal and NIL

FSU is going to destroy Clemson in a few weeks

I mean on back to back drives, when the score was 13-7, Clemson fumbled on the Duke 7 and the Duke 1 yard line, with both fumbles occurring on first and goal.

If both of those drives end in TDs as we could have reasonably expected, I sincerely doubt that Duke wins that football game. But even still, Clemson had some huge issues beyond those two plays.

I mean on back to back drives, when the score was 13-7, Clemson fumbled on the Duke 7 and the Duke 1 yard line, with both fumbles occurring on first and goal.

If both of those drives end in TDs as we could have reasonably expected, I sincerely doubt that Duke wins that football game. But even still, Clemson had some huge issues beyond those two plays.
To add to this, Duke's final 2 TD drives only went 49 and 33 yards. Clemson really handed them this game in a lot of ways.

Clemson really lucks out by playing FSU/ND/UNC all at home this season. That's crazy.

Clemson wins that game if they score to go up 14-13 and probably if they make the field goal. Clemson wins that game if they dont fumble on the one leading to a 70 yard return. Cant prove it but that is football. Momentum is real. Clemson wont make those same mistakes again, unfortunately. They may not be good but are good enough to beat every other team in the conference except FSU without those mistakes. I dont recall any major mistakes by Clemson in winston last year. Definitely a fluke win by Duke,

It’s not like Dabo can use the ACC excuse to ignore transfer portal / NIL, to your point FSU is doing it successfully
Exactly. If you listed FSU's 10 most-important players ... rough estimate that 7 or 8 of them came from the portal.

The bottom isn't going to fall out with a trip to the Military Bowl or some shit but last night was eye-opening in the eye test. They're just not as physically imposing as they were 3, 4, 5 years ago.

You can probably set hard line on Klubnik's attempts for at least the next 5-6 games of, "if he throws more than 25 passes, Clemson loses." It was obvious to everyone in the stadium that Clemson wasn't going to win last night's game through the air. They need to run Shipley and Mafah about 20 times/game each; no idea if they will.

Clemson wins that game if they score to go up 14-13 and probably if they make the field goal. Clemson wins that game if they dont fumble on the one leading to a 70 yard return. Cant prove it but that is football. Momentum is real. Clemson wont make those same mistakes again, unfortunately. They may not be good but are good enough to beat every other team in the conference except FSU without those mistakes. I dont recall any major mistakes by Clemson in winston last year. Definitely a fluke win by Duke,
They didn't make one. Granted, our defense wasn't able to force them into any, either.

You can probably set hard line on Klubnik's attempts for at least the next 5-6 games of, "if he throws more than 25 passes, Clemson loses." It was obvious to everyone in the stadium that Clemson wasn't going to win last night's game through the air. They need to run Shipley and Mafah about 20 times/game each; no idea if they will.
I thought Klubnik made some throws that were fine. But it felt like every single one of his throws was to one of the sidelines, which I don't really understand at all.

I'm not a football coach so there very well may be a valid reason for it, but it's felt like Clemson doesn't attack the middle of the field with the passing game this year or last year. It's just throws to RBs and throws to WRs on the sidelines. Hard to get explosive plays like that.

Exactly. If you listed FSU's 10 most-important players ... rough estimate that 7 or 8 of them came from the portal.

The bottom isn't going to fall out with a trip to the Military Bowl or some shit but last night was eye-opening in the eye test. They're just not as physically imposing as they were 3, 4, 5 years ago.

I was in the stands for Clemson vs. Oklahoma at the Orange Bowl in 2015. I remember thinking Clemson looked like an NFL team. Not sure that's the case anymore.

Clemson didn’t look great last night and also had some fluky stuff happen that’s not likely to reoccur much this season (in the course of one game). Duke won and that’s that but I’d imagine the post-win expectancy controlling for turnover luck and expected points is at least a coin flip

I realize that reversing any one of Clemson's major mistakes, particularly early in the game, changes the dynamics and momentum of the game. But even if they make both field goals and score both fumbled touchdowns, they still come up a point short. Just sayin'...

Two plays stuck out to me right away.

The first Duke punt return where he turned the corner and looked faster than Clemson's special teams.

The Duke TE catching the ball down the seam and edging out the Clemson defense for a big gain when they were 2nd & long.

That told me something right away. Duke was going to have a good chance to win.

Back