• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is chart is kind of disingenuous. Duke was third in the division, not holding any tiebreaker over Pitt. They were effectively out of contention by the middle of Oct and totally out of it by the beginning of November. UNC barfed all over itself in its last two ACC games and still won the Coastal. Duke wasn't close to shit.

And those 5 conference wins - UVA, Miami, BC, VT, Wake. Real tough sledding there.

What a miserable fucking fan base.
...and if Duke had beaten, UNC, they'd have gone to the championship game....(they lost a back-and-forth battle, 38-35)

We never get pressure on any fg attempt (can't remember the last time we blocked one....at App State, maybe....or was that just a miss?)

Duke did on 2 last night....
You really seem to like the Duke program. Please go root for them.

...and if Duke had beaten, UNC, they'd have gone to the championship game....(they lost a back-and-forth battle, 38-35)
Yeah but that game was in like the middle of Oct and once they lost that one they were almost effectively out of contention. The point is that they back doored their way into 3rd in the Coastal, so it's not like they lost the division the last week of season.

And none of this is to diminish what Elko is doing there. He's doing great work. But the implication that Duke is in the cream of the ACC is a little premature right now, imo. Maybe we can say they are after this season, but I don't think last year is evidence of this.

Look, we all get it that the ball bounces funny sometimes and the football gods can have a sense of humor. We are all just a little salty that Wake hasn't beaten Clemson since 2008. Despite being an excellent coach, Clawson is 0-8 against Clemson and also doesn't have a win against a team ranked in the top 10. We want ours. It's all fun when Clemson gets beat up, just not when Duke does it. DJU will probably get a shot in the NFL solely based on his tape last season, where scouts will point out it is possible despite all evidence to the contrary he can play like a 5-star player.

Just have to keep grinding. We will get our bounces too someday. Luck is where hard work and preparation meet or so I am told, my experience with that subject is limited.

Clemson didn't lose due to transfer portal policies. In addition, the need to use the portal is lessened when you're already at the top versus building something from below.

That said, there are always shortcomings to address and competitive depth to build on a roster. But they lost last night because they couldn't hold onto the football or kick it when they needed to AND Duke happened to play a very good game.

Clemson didn't lose due to transfer portal policies. In addition, the need to use the portal is lessened when you're already at the top versus building something from below.
The teams at the top should be the ones that benefit MOST from the transfer portal.

If they were willing, they could identify weak spots on their roster and supplant them with stud transfers every single season. WRs are a clear weakness on the past few Clemson teams and they would have benefited immensely from someone like Keon Coleman.

The teams at the top should be the ones that benefit MOST from the transfer portal.

If they were willing, they could identify weak spots on their roster and supplant them with stud transfers every single season. WRs are a clear weakness on the past few Clemson teams and they would have benefited immensely from someone like Keon Coleman.
Exactly. We're talking about one of the few programs that can go out and grab almost any WR they want out of the portal. To say not even attempting to address this need via the portal had little to no effect on last night's game doesn't add up for me.

I don’t think the team I saw last night can beat any of those 3, even at home.
Yeah, the only ones of those I can see them winning are maybe UNC if they have a meltdown game and maybe ND if Sam has some hardcore war flashbacks and lobs up 5 picks. Just based on what we saw this weekend I think FSU blows the doors off them.

Yeah wake Clemson and Duke ended up with a rough draw this year scheduling wise at large. Clemson gets FSU ND and UNC (at home at least). Believe Wake and Duke are the only two ACC teams to play FSU Clemson and ND

Clemson is 3-4 over its last 7 football games. The scores in three of the 4 losses were not close:

November 5: @ ND L 14-35
November 26: SC L 30-31
December 30: TN (without its starting QB) L 14-31
September 4: @ Duke L 7-28

DeShawn Watson is not walking through that door; Trevor Lawrence is not walking through that door; Tee Higgins is not walking through that door. Clemson has talent; they will improve, but in the past, Clemson could just show up and pound decent/good football teams on the shear talent edge. Just not the case right now. OTOH, those saying that FSU, Notre Dame and/or UNC are all going to beat Clemson in DV; not ready to go there.

Last edited:
FSU had holes all over their roster. They couldn't beat Rydell High if they hadn't plucked a lot of transfers. Clemson is a whole different story. They haven't had any hiccup recruiting years like FSU has.
FSU had 10 (including bowl) wins last season and were returning their QB.

Would Clemson have a better or worse roster if they used the transfer market?

But it's not just one bad game - Clemson's trendline from last October to present (as Pilch posted above) ain't pretty for a program who expects to compete for a CFP spot every year.

I think all anybody is really getting at is that there are some pretty serious warning signs here. Maybe they're nothing and Clemson wins the conference. Maybe they're something and Clemson is starting a slide towards whatever their floor is with Dabo.

The goal for Clemson's program right now is to compete for national championships. Nobody was picking them for the playoff this year, but this goal is basically gone unless they beat the shit out of everyone else on their schedule and throttle Duke in the ACCCG.

Personally, I think Dabo's attitude towards transfers and NIL are extremely concerning given the current landscape of the game.

Back