• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know. Hard to say. But I know this and this is my only real point - let's tap the breaks on the downfall of the Clemson football program because they had one bad game.
Is it hard to say though? It was clear coming into the season they were weak at WR and their WRs looked like ass last night.

Driving back from the beach and listened to a little bit of Sirius College radio and predictably there’s a bunch of disgusting duke coverage. I tuned in as Niehesel (sp) was talking about Elko at Wake and how he accomplished a lot with so little, including when we lost(!) to VT 6-3 and BC 3-0.

Which HC job will Elko head to after this season? Florida, TAMU, Mich St.

Elko's contract was just officially extended six weeks ago through 2029.

Wouldn't be surprised if "bigger" programs start sniffing around Elko (those who haven't already) but FL is still paying Dan Mullen and his staff plus Billy Napier's current buyout is $35M+.

Jimbo's contract is FULLY GUARANTEED - So if he is pushed out TAMU is still on the hook for the remainder of his deal.

And MSU isn't going to be swimming in the cash if/when Tucker is canned because of his egregious extension.

Claiming Elko already has one foot out the door to a "bigger" school is as lazy as the opposing fans who claimed for the last 5 years that Dave Clawson would leave Wake at first opportunity.

So what is the media narrative? Is the ACC “down” because Clemson lost to Duke? Or is the ACC good because FSU has claimed their rightful place?
It’s going to be hard for the lazy media to know what to say.
The conferences we want to compete with will have more than one great team that can compete nationally. So far, the ACC is exactly where it has been portrayed in recent years. Potentially, one very good team. Then a bunch of also-rans.

I don't know. Hard to say. But I know this and this is my only real point - let's tap the breaks on the downfall of the Clemson football program because they had one bad game.
Clemson has lost 3 out of their last 4 games, and in many of the games that they did win last season they looked far from dominant.

Speculating that they are no longer at the level they were at 4-5 years ago is more than fair. They are certainly still a very, very good football program, but it's definitely fair to speculate that they are no longer the constant CFP presence that they once were.

Probably more likely this is a down period still adjusting to the post-Watson and Lawrence era, NIL, and transfer portal. Dabo's job isn't in jeopardy and they'll be back as a program although perhaps not to the heights of that period.

Wouldn't be surprised if "bigger" programs start sniffing around Elko (those who haven't already) but FL is still paying Dan Mullen and his staff plus Billy Napier's current buyout is $35M+.

Jimbo's contract is FULLY GUARANTEED - So if he is pushed out TAMU is still on the hook for the remainder of his deal.

And MSU isn't going to be swimming in the cash if/when Tucker is canned because of his egregious extension.

Claiming Elko already has one foot out the door to a "bigger" school is as lazy as the opposing fans who claimed for the last 5 years that Dave Clawson would leave Wake at first opportunity.
Kind of agree with this.

Keep in mind that Duke has a shitload of Wall Street alums with stupid money. Since Spurrier left, they never cared about football; Duke has the money if they want to match anything that any school, yes even SEC schools, offers. So, not saying Elko would definitely stay at Duke if A&M or Florida came sniffing around, just saying that Duke could easily make the decision not about money for Elko. People have this idea that SEC and Big 10 schools are swimming in cash. Yes, they have the most TV money, but in general terms, these schools don't have the overall donor deep pockets that Duke (or other schools... like Stanford) have; not even close; the evidence is in the endowments for each school. Football was just not a priority at Duke, and it may still not be a priority, but the Devil alumni base has the resources to make it a priority if they want to go on that direction.

Also, Elko coached at A&M and Notre Dame; so, he knows what its like to coach for an impatient/unrealistic fanbase. The money is great, but a lot of it is just a miserable existence; a bad three game stretch and even the best coach finds himself and his staff on the hot seat; at those schools, a coach doesn't even have control of his staff as a fanbase can get an coordinator fired. There is a quality life/perspective component to coaching at Wake Forest or Duke that explains why coaches at those schools rarely jump for other jobs when given the opportunity.

So, if Florida cuts Billy Napier loose after the season, Elko (and Clawson) would likely be on the short list, but not beyond the realm of possibility that coaching the Gators, who have burned through five full-time head coaches and three interim coaches since 2010, isn't that appealing.

Last edited:
I think Elko is a good coach but at some point big money programs have to wise up and not hire guys on one or two seasons of head coaching success

I realize Elko's success includes years and years of work as a coordinator, but the stupid money getting thrown after the hot new thing has lots of programs in the hole

If Deion has success at Colorado, we're going to see more programs throw money at coaches with a few seasons of success and expect immediate returns on that investment.

Most of these programs have plenty of alums with stupid amounts of money.

The conferences we want to compete with will have more than one great team that can compete nationally. So far, the ACC is exactly where it has been portrayed in recent years. Potentially, one very good team. Then a bunch of also-rans.
The Big Televenteen has nobody who actually competes nationally. Michigan and tOSU have their annual paper rankings from their garbage conference then shit the bed when the games are actually played. Even the vaunted SEC is only two real teams competing on the national stage. The rest of that conference are also-rans, as FSU and UNC exposed the other night.

Elko has stayed for a year or two at programs and then taken the next big job with higher paychecks consistently throughout his career. His longest stint was 3-4 years at bowling Green. Compare that to Clawson who has had much longer stints and a very bad experience with a Tier 1 program, and it couldn't be more night and day.

money is no obstacle for the premier SEC or Big Ten schools to appease crazy fan and booster pressure. If Elko continues this year with success and gets to a major bowl and acc championship, he will get offer and he will take one of them. These programs want to win right away and Elko has done that at Duke. Clawson took a couple years and has had some underachieving years like last year that will scare away the Tier 1 schools.

I guess I never really understand the "Big 10 are frauds" argument. Ohio State has been elite for a long time, Michigan has been a top tier team the last couple years, and Penn State has pretty consistently been top 10-15 for a long time as well.

I guess I never really understand the "Big 10 are frauds" argument. Ohio State has been elite for a long time, Michigan has been a top tier team the last couple years, and Penn State has pretty consistently been top 10-15 for a long time as well.
"Frauds" is maybe a little hyperbole used by posters to enhance the point that the big ten in both football and basketball consistently underperforms their rankings and seedings. Def. great teams like you said but always overhyped

I feel like Duke also still has miles to go with the facilities investments like we’ve made. Those things take years to come to fruition. They’ll have to move quickly to make some fairly big commitments if they want him to stay.

I feel like Duke also still has miles to go with the facilities investments like we’ve made. Those things take years to come to fruition. They’ll have to move quickly to make some fairly big commitments if they want him to stay.

One of the negatives of NIL is that it pretty much negates the facilities advantage we have. I'll take the 500k and the school without the hot tub in the locker room, please.

Also what an awful weekend with FSU, Duke and UNC all winning 🤢 Though it’s great to see Dabo just throw up an absolute dud in the season opener.

Colorado did well for sure. But Jeff Saturday won his first game too.

I'm for tapping brakes across the board after one game.

One of the negatives of NIL is that it pretty much negates the facilities advantage we have. I'll take the 500k and the school without the hot tub in the locker room, please.

1) I don’t agree and 2) very few guys are getting $500k especially as HS recruits. Realistically you need both if you really want to be competitive in this landscape.

Nobody cares, but UF isn't getting rid of Napier after this season. Expectations are low for UF this year, and his recruiting for '24 (& beyond) will keep him around for at least another season or two.

The only way his seat gets warm this offseason is if they are embarrassingly bad this year. Losing @ Utah wasn't a surprise... I don't know many Gators who thought they'd win that one (though there was certainly more optimism as the game approached due to Utah injuries).

Those rankings are meaningless, made up by the media. They dominate their shit conference and lose when they play any decent team OOC. To me the Big 10 teams are no different than App State used to be in football, or like Gonzaga in basketball, they are just on TV more.

Similar to how the rules of the NFL game have evolved to make RB-focused teams obsolete, the rules of the college game have evolved to make the B1G obsolete. Their fans are just too numerous and deluded to accept it, and the ridiculous impact of completely biased rankings just adds to the confusion. Urban Meyer's penal colony is the only B1G school that has realized it, and then of course he bailed anyway.

Back