• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starks and Downs as starting safeties would have been nuts.
The off-season has gone so well, it’s gotten to the point where if Ryan Day doesn’t do 2/3 of these things he’s probably gone next year:

• Beat Michigan
  • Win the B1G
  • Win a national championship
With Bill O’Brien.

How did it work out for Bama last time they hired a coach from the state of Washington? DeBoer is a Pac 12 west coast guy with no background in the SEC or the South. And he ran off a key defensive assistant so that the guy can be a coordinator at Georgia. This doesn't look like a great hire to me. All those Bama guys in the portal must be thinking the same thing.
I really don't understand this take. Somehow because Alabama hired Mike Price from Washington State 20 years ago and he was fired before ever coaching a game because of a stripper scandal, that translates to DeBoer is going to flop?

So many people keep talking about "west coast" coaches as though they're from another planet. There are like 75M people who live in the Pacific and Mountain time zones, just because Bryan Harsin didn't work out at Auburn doesn't mean another person who was last employed west of the Rockies can't be successful in the SEC. Lane Kiffin is a west coast guy who seems to be doing fine in the SEC. Les Miles never coached in the south before coming to LSU and winning a natty. Some guy named Nick Saban had never coached in the south before he came to LSU and I heard he turned out ok.

The strongest argument against someone like DeBoer is that he doesn't have southeast high school connections. But 1) that shouldn't have any impact on kids who are already at Bama, which is what my original comment was about, 2) Bama recruits nationally, and 3) I'm pretty sure any HS in the southeast/entire country is going to open the door for the Alabama HC when he comes calling.

Last edited:
I really don't understand this take. Somehow because Alabama hired Mike Price from Washington State 20 years ago and he was fired before ever coaching a game because of a stripper scandal, that translates to DeBoer is going to flop?

So many people keep talking about "west coast" coaches as though they're from another planet. There are like 75M people who live in the Pacific and Mountain time zones, just because Bryan Harsin didn't work out at Auburn doesn't mean another person who was last employed west of the Rockies can't be successful in the SEC. Lane Kiffin is a west coast guy who seems to be doing fine in the SEC. Les Miles never coached in the south before coming to LSU and winning a natty. Some guy named Nick Saban had never coached in the south before he came to Bama and I heard he turned out ok.

The strongest argument against someone like DeBoer is that he doesn't have southeast high school connections. But 1) that shouldn't have any impact on kids who are already at Bama, which is what my original comment was about, 2) Bama recruits nationally, and 3) I'm pretty sure any HS in the southeast/entire country is going to open the door for the Alabama HC when he comes calling.

I agree. Also, Harsin was just plain lazy when it came to recruiting, which I don’t really think had anything to do with being from any particular area. The comparisons between Harsin and DeBoer are almost as lazy. Harsin had never coached at a P5 school before Auburn. Not that DeBoer has a long history of sustained success at the highest level, but making the CFP championship as a then-undefeated P5 conference champion is >>>>>>>> than anything Harsin has done professionally. And as for recruiting, put in the work and you can develop relationships with the region’s high school coaches and their players pretty quickly. As you point out, it’s not like he speaks a different language, and there’s no reason to think he has an off-putting personality that would prevent him from forging those relationships.

Can political campaigns sign NIL deals with athletes? If so, Iowa and Iowa State should be dominant.

Can political campaigns sign NIL deals with athletes? If so, Iowa and Iowa State should be dominant.
Actually not a bad strategy, especially in battleground states. You're going have jackasses like trump win again because they paid a couple mil to the next tim tebow.

Kiffin is a remarkably good troll. Ole Miss is cleaning up in the portal, buying guys left and right. Maybe it's his way of saying, "We're doing great in the portal and only spending $10M."
Quite possibly. The article mentions Kiffin being a great troll.

I am truly curious how FSU got in trouble with a recruit but these portal transfers are clearly being offered bags.

Wonder why college foootball thinks the best day of the Final is a Monday. NCAAB plays that final on a Monday because the semifinals are on a Saturday (and leading up to that Saturday, all CBB coaches congregate in the Final 4 city). In college football, the semifinal is played more than a week before. So, they can pick any day of the week for the Final, other than Sunday because in late January the NFL playoffs rule Sunday, Monday just seems like a crappy day to play a game that won't end until after midnight for almost half the country. Play it on a Thursday; people will go out on a Thursday to watch, and lots of people work from home (or not at all) on a Friday.

Back