• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see Elko as a lifer at Duke just like Clawson. He had the resume to land an SEC or Big? In the near future. I don’t think he settled for Duke. I believe he wanted the same scenario as Clawson. High academic institution with willingness to invest with the strongest interest in the last remnants of student athleticism.
Ummmm, if you follow Elko's resume, he is always ready to move on for a better gig. He's probably gone after this year.

Wake DC to Notre Dame DC to Texas A&M DC to Duke HC. His next stop is an SEC school as HC.

We won our home opener way back on Thursday by 20 pts., and Duke had an extra 4 days to prepare and only won by 21. So good win for the Devils, but not much difference in our winning comfortably IMO.

Ummmm, if you follow Elko's resume, he is always ready to move on for a better gig. He's probably gone after this year.

Wake DC to Notre Dame DC to Texas A&M DC to Duke HC. His next stop is an SEC school as HC.
Would you not say the same thing about Clawson before he came to Wake?

Clemson looked completely unprepared and more shockingly duke looked just as strong and fast as them, which is insane.

My issue, the 4th down QB slide short of the marker and targeting call being assessed as a dead ball foul is absolutely batshit crazy. What a completely idiotic implementation of the rule. I was stunned by that call, that has to be overturned.

Clemson looked completely unprepared and more shockingly duke looked just as strong and fast as them, which is insane.

My issue, the 4th down QB slide short of the marker and targeting call being assessed as a dead ball foul is absolutely batshit crazy. What a completely idiotic implementation of the rule. I was stunned by that call, that has to be overturned.
Good explanation here

Why is everyone over reacting. Clawson gonna use this game to show his team you can win every stat line, but if you turn it over and special teams fail you will lose. Clemson wins this game 95 out of a 100 times if they play clean football. I’m way more worried Clawson is gonna Walkerize Desmond Clairborne than this fluke of a win for Duke.
I don't think you watched the game. That was NOWHERE near a fluke win. Not even close

I had no problem with it being a dead ball foul. I mean, the ball is dead as soon as he starts to go down and that is why it's a penalty in the first place-- because you're hitting a guy when the play is over. I just have never seen it happen before where the guy slides short on a 4th down and the penalty is then assessed. It usually happens on a different down, or when the guy already has the first down and takes a cheap shot.

Without doing any actual research to confirm, my sense is Dabo has not embraced the portal and he has promoted from within almost exclusively.

I don't think you watched the game. That was NOWHERE near a fluke win. Not even close
It was a bizarre game with some very, very unusual sequences. Clemson having back to back first and goal from the 1 and 2 and getting zero points was wild.

This stuck out to me in the first few minutes. I was not expecting that. Not sure if that says more about Clemson fading or Duke rising. But I thought the same last season when we played Clemson, except DJ had his career day and never will see that again.

Would you not say the same thing about Clawson before he came to Wake?
I mean, sorta? The difference is that Clawson had a horrific experience as a coordinator at TN and got pulled into the worst of big-time football school politics/drama at perhaps one of the worst schools to experience this. Elko's experiences at ND and TAMU were very, very different.

All of which is to say that maybe Clawson would have been eyeing a move after 4 or so years, but there's reason to believe he's only consider a smaller pool of schools for such a move.

It is annoying to watch Elko come in and beat Clemson season 2, when we have had 9 tries at it and failed. That stings no matter what anyone says, Clemson had a fluke game, blah blah.

Starting to feel like Clemson's golden age has come and gone, especially with the super conferences now locked in at B10 and SEC level. Going to be really hard to out recruit them in the coming years. They can still be a top-15ish team, I just think there ceiling will have to lower a tad no matter what.

I’m very curious whether Clemson implodes this season or not. That team has perennial CFP expectations and to lose like that to Duke is terrible. Especially considering they were now starting what they thought was their QB Savior.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Clemson has mentally checked out by the time we play them.

It is annoying to watch Elko come in and beat Clemson season 2, when we have had 9 tries at it and failed. That stings no matter what anyone says, Clemson had a fluke game, blah blah.

Starting to feel like Clemson's golden age has come and gone, especially with the super conferences now locked in at B10 and SEC level. Going to be really hard to out recruit them in the coming years. They can still be a top-15ish team, I just think there ceiling will have to lower a tad no matter what.
I'm not sure Clemson's golden age is gone quite yet. I think they can keep it going, but it might require firing Dabo and I don't think they'll do that.

Imo, I think we're going to see the effects of three things at Clemson:

1. Dabo's refusal to use the transfer portal like everyone else.

2. Clemson finally having coordinator turnover.

3. The lack of an elite QB.

Dabo has worked out well for Clemson, but they're golden age is at risk of ending if he doesn't choose to play the same game as everyone else. And if he doesn't start playing the portal or get coordinators to handle the X's and O's, then Clemson needs to replace him.

If they did something bold like shit canning Dabo and grabbing a big name, then I think they can keep this thing going.

Back