• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I personally believe Clawson has never gotten an offer from the top echelon of college FB schools due to lack of .marquee wins and very poor defense under his regime minus the Elko years in addition to his failure as an OC at Tennessee.

He's a complete stud at Wake and has elevated our program to a whole other level. I'm sure he's gotten lateral job offers and wouldn't move for that but if Alabama or Notre Dame came knocking, he would absolutely move and he should

Clawson is the only coach in NCAA history with 10+ wins at 4 different Division 1 schools. He has won a championship at every school he has coached. He was I-AA National Coach of the Year in 2005. He was 2021 AP National Coach of the Year and ACC Coach of the Year. Won the Military, Belk, Birmingham, Gator, and Gasparilla Bowls.

Elko was 2022 ACC Coach of the Year and has won the Military Bowl and beaten Clemson.

W91.gif

Waaaayyyyy overreacting to the 1st game. Games like that can happen, where what can go wrong did go wrong in the red zone. Clemson could easily run the table the rest of the way. Firing Dabo? I mean seriously??? Fellas........

My $500 bet still stands. Never saw a response.

Yeah I personally believe Clawson has never gotten an offer from the top echelon of college FB schools due to lack of .marquee wins and very poor defense under his regime minus the Elko years in addition to his failure as an OC at Tennessee.

He's a complete stud at Wake and has elevated our program to a whole other level. I'm sure he's gotten lateral job offers and wouldn't move for that but if Alabama or Notre Dame came knocking, he would absolutely move and he should
This is accurate— Clawson is a competitive SOB, and would move in a minute for the right job, as would Elko. But at this point he doesn’t have the resume to attract the top schools, and he is smart enough to not take just any offer.

This is accurate— Clawson is a competitive SOB, and would move in a minute for the right job, as would Elko. But at this point he doesn’t have the resume to attract the top schools, and he is smart enough to not take just any offer.
Yeah. For comparison Clawson is 10 years older than Elko (56 and 46 respectively). Clawson has to know that if he jumps at a gig like Arkansas for marginally more money and flames out and gets shit canned after 2-3 seasons it's back to a coordinator gig or the MAC for a few years to do another rebuild and get a major conference job. And he'd be pushing into his mid-60s by then.

Now if ND or some legit blue blood came calling it would be a different story since it's maybe easier to approach it as a last stop from the jump, but DC doesn't seem like the kind of dude who's going to roll the dice on rebuilding Illinois at this stage of his career.

Elko being only 46 has the time to go a middling B1G or SEC team, get fired, go on some rehab assignment, and be back at Duke before he's as old as Clawson is today.

Clawson is the only coach in NCAA history with 10+ wins at 4 different Division 1 schools. He has won a championship at every school he has coached. He was I-AA National Coach of the Year in 2005. He was 2021 AP National Coach of the Year and ACC Coach of the Year. Won the Military, Belk, Birmingham, Gator, and Gasparilla Bowls.

Elko was 2022 ACC Coach of the Year and has won the Military Bowl and beaten Clemson.
In his first game as HC. Clawson has lost to them every season since he became HC - 9 times so far with last years quite possibly being one of the most gut wrenching I've been to. We had them on the ropes finally in another great season and let them get away with another W...

Elko was HC at Duke last year. His first game was a win over Temple.

That was Harbaugh...

Yeah. For comparison Clawson is 10 years older than Elko (56 and 46 respectively). Clawson has to know that if he jumps at a gig like Arkansas for marginally more money and flames out and gets shit canned after 2-3 seasons it's back to a coordinator gig or the MAC for a few years to do another rebuild and get a major conference job. And he'd be pushing into his mid-60s by then.

Now if ND or some legit blue blood came calling it would be a different story since it's maybe easier to approach it as a last stop from the jump, but DC doesn't seem like the kind of dude who's going to roll the dice on rebuilding Illinois at this stage of his career.

Elko being only 46 has the time to go a middling B1G or SEC team, get fired, go on some rehab assignment, and be back at Duke before he's as old as Clawson is today.

Clawson's got this.

He'll get his W on the road at clem's son this season! ;)

I respect that you have been a Wake fan for a long while, but I don’t think I’ve ever learned what your connection to Wake is.
78 grad. Football season ticket holder since 1978. Reffed numerous practices for Tacy, Staak & Odom starting the 83-84 Final 8 team with Rudd, Young & Muggsy to both years of ACC titles with Chill/Duncan & Duncan/Rutland/Peral.

Clawson has never had the big win here at Wake. I'm not sure he's even had a win over a ranked opponent besides maybe NC State ranked at twenty something? I think this is what has kept him from getting the big job.

Where a coach plays in college has nothing to do with their professional aspirations. Every coach dreams of winning the Natty and being the absolute best. To be a coach at this level that hunger is inherent in your DNA.
The blowout win at Duke to make a bowl game during the horrible defense year was pretty damn big. Beating TAMU in Charlotte was huge. The win in Raleigh during Sam’s injury ending freshman year was big. There have been lots of big wins. Clemson was pre-season #9. They hadn’t earned that ranking. Recency bias is dominating your brain. WF has been top 10 two years in a row after at least 7 games. That’s HUGE.

Clawson was a head coach at all levels, building programs. All good academic places too. His one year at a football factory, he took part of the blame for Fulmer’s & UT’s offensive woes. Saw he probably wouldn’t like those type schools in long run so he has found his niche at Wake and we have given him what he needs to succeed.

Two plays stuck out to me right away.

The first Duke punt return where he turned the corner and looked faster than Clemson's special teams.

The Duke TE catching the ball down the seam and edging out the Clemson defense for a big gain when they were 2nd & long.

That told me something right away. Duke was going to have a good chance to win.
Winning 9 games and returning 17 or 18 starters told me they had a chance also. Really good QB & great coach.

What year did Clawson win the ACC championship at Wake Forest?

Clawson's record at Wake versus ACC opponents (2014 - 2022)
Notre Dame (0 - 3)
Clemson (0 - 9)
Pittsburgh (0 - 2)
Miami (0 - 0)
Georgia Tech (0 - 1)
Boston College (5 - 3)
Duke (4 - 4)
Florida State (3 - 5)
NC State (4 - 5)
Syracuse (5 - 4)
North Carolina (1 - 4)
Virginia Tech (2 - 1)
Louisville (3 - 6)

Clawson's overall record at Wake versus ACC opponents (2014 - 2022)
27 - 47
ACC Win % = 36%
ACC Loss % = 64%

Last edited:
The blowout win at Duke to make a bowl game during the horrible defense year was pretty damn big. Beating TAMU in Charlotte was huge. The win in Raleigh during Sam’s injury ending freshman year was big. There have been lots of big wins. Clemson was pre-season #9. They hadn’t earned that ranking. Recency bias is dominating your brain. WF has been top 10 two years in a row after at least 7 games. That’s HUGE.
Yes huge wins for wake fans but not huge wins on a national stage basis.

Refresh my memory.... What happened when we were top ten?

Back