• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, since when is syracuse our last game rival?

In the past we would play duke to end the schedule.

By the way, since when is syracuse our last game rival?

In the past we would play duke to end the schedule.
It sucks not having a rivalry game during rivalry week, but the Wake/Duke crowd after Thanksgiving is always horrendous. I hope we never have another after Thanksgiving home game.

UNC would give the SEC every NC market because everyone is a UNC fan, and it's a bigger state than VA. VT is the biggest school in VA, and the state is pretty split evenly between the 2. And both football programs are in the shitter. So no, I don't see the B1G or SEC having any interest in UVA. Also, the Tidewater seems to have a fair number of UNC fans.

Heard for a long time that both the SEC and Big 10 covet UNC and UVA. That region continues to grow, and it's pretty much the biggest population nugget that neither the Big 10 nor the SEC has injected itself into. Also, as Biff has stated, the SEC does not want the Big 10 getting close to the markets that the SEC has locked up; so, the SEC also has an interest in keeping the Big 10 out. People always miss the mark when they talk about whether a football program is good. In the list of factors for expansion, how good you are in football does not matter. The SEC has enough good programs as it is. They want media markets, and the only one left to conquer is VA/NC. Also, NC is 9th in the nation in population and VA is 12th; so, while NC is bigger in population; its comparable.

Heard for a long time that both the SEC and Big 10 covet UNC and UVA. That region continues to grow, and it's pretty much the biggest population nugget that neither the Big 10 nor the SEC has injected itself into. Also, as Biff has stated, the SEC does not want the Big 10 getting close to the markets that the SEC has locked up; so, the SEC also has an interest in keeping the Big 10 out. People always miss the mark when they talk about whether a football program is good. In the list of factors for expansion, how good you are in football does not matter. The SEC has enough good programs as it is. They want media markets, and the only one left to conquer is VA/NC. Also, NC is 9th in the nation in population and VA is 12th; so, while NC is bigger in population; its comparable.
Media markets only matter if a ton of people in those markets aren’t already watching or if you’re trying to get them to pick up another channel. I’m not sure any football program other than VT moves the needle for viewership and NC and VA already have the Big10 Network and SECN.

Media markets only matter if a ton of people in those markets aren’t already watching or if you’re trying to get them to pick up another channel. I’m not sure any football program other than VT moves the needle for viewership and NC and VA already have the Big10 Network and SECN.
With essentially everyone cutting the cord, every region has every network. It's who draws eyes. Hate jocking UNC, but they are a national brand. People watch whatever network televises them. If UNC and UVA left the ACC, the SEC and Big 10 would both happily invite them. They are the only two in that position.

With essentially everyone cutting the cord, every region has every network. It's who draws eyes. Hate jocking UNC, but they are a national brand. People watch whatever network televises them. If UNC and UVA left the ACC, the SEC and Big 10 would both happily invite them. They are the only two in that position.
UVA does not draw eyes. Does UNC football really draw that many eyes? Im not so sure.

You can keep telling yourself that the ACC will not change because neither the SEC nor the Big 10 want any ACC schools. I've reliably heard otherwise.

Both the SEC and the Big 10 want UNC and UVA. Do they want them bad enough so that they would agree to take others (like Clemson and FSU) to hasten the breakup of the conference? We shall see. Clearly, there was a reason that UNC was among the schools trying to prevent ACC expansion (in the past, UNC would have done everything in its power to keep the ACC intact; now UNC is aligning with FSU and Clemson? If that doesn't bring alarm bells don't know what it will take).

Also, as stated above, a secondary motivation is that the SEC does not want the Big 10 moving south, and the Big 10 does not want the SEC to takeover NC and VA; so, it's possible a future deal could be made to prevent the rival from expanding.

You can keep telling yourself that the ACC will not change because neither the SEC nor the Big 10 want any ACC schools. I've reliably heard otherwise.

Both the SEC and the Big 10 want UNC and UVA. Do they want them bad enough so that they would agree to take others (like Clemson and FSU) to hasten the breakup of the conference? We shall see. Clearly, there was a reason that UNC was among the schools trying to prevent ACC expansion (in the past, UNC would have done everything in its power to keep the ACC intact; now UNC is aligning with FSU and Clemson? If that doesn't bring alarm bells don't know what it will take).

Also, as stated above, a secondary motivation is that the SEC does not want the Big 10 moving south, and the Big 10 does not want the SEC to takeover NC and VA; so, it's possible a future deal could be made to prevent the rival from expanding.
nobody is saying that the ACC will not change. It makes sense why other conferences would want Clemson, FSU, and UNC. I just do not see it with UVA.

UVA does not draw eyes. Does UNC football really draw that many eyes? Im not so sure.
UVA draws eyes quite well in non-revenue sports. Revenue sports not so much.

And Pilch, I know I've been poking your bear, but the biggest media market in VA is Tidewater. I really think UVA is 3rd most popular school in that area behind VT and UNC (and maybe even ODU) UVA is most popular in NOVA and central VA. And UVA is not a national brand like UNC is. I just don't see the interest in them.

And Pilch, I know I've been poking your bear, but the biggest media market in VA is Tidewater. I really think UVA is 3rd most popular school in that area behind VT and UNC (and maybe even ODU) UVA is most popular in NOVA and central VA. And UVA is not a national brand like UNC is. I just don't see the interest in them.
I don't necessarily either, but it's there. Have heard from a senior ESPN executive the same as Pilch is saying. UNC and UVA are the next big prizes, significantly more than FSU/Clemson.

Yeah, if it was about non-revenue sports then even Wake would be desired.

Why is UVA more desirable than VT? Seems like the latter has a much more passionate football fan base. I mean how often do we have to hear about their stupid Enter Sandman intro?

Why is UVA more desirable than VT? Seems like the latter has a much more passionate football fan base. I mean how often do we have to hear about their stupid Enter Sandman intro?
To me, neither are desirable. 15 years ago, maybe VT. VT still has the more passionate fan base, but I still think it's pretty even statewide. VT dominates the Valley and SWVA and has the edge in Tidewater, and UVA has the edge in Central and Northern VA. But both programs are down, and UVA is pretty dreadful. I don't see either once again becoming a consistent 8-10 game winner again anytime soon. And I feel bad for Elliott because he seems like a great guy, but he took over a program in a bad situation when Mendenhall walked out, and that situation has gotten worse.

I don't necessarily either, but it's there. Have heard from a senior ESPN executive the same as Pilch is saying. UNC and UVA are the next big prizes, significantly more than FSU/Clemson.

But ESPN already has UNC and UVA TV rights. Would they pay significantly more just so UNC and UVA can play Missouri and Arkansas and so UGA and Alabama can play even less?

I read years ago that UNC is one of, it not the top revenue producing school based on sales of licensed items.

Back