• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL 2023 Wake Forest Demon Deacons Football Thread

Y’all are acting like we have gone undefeated the last couple of seasons and the coaches haven’t made a single mistake. In 2019 against Cuse, Greene was the best receiver on the field. In 2020, he didn't have his first TD until the last game against UNC, and he had 2 on 8 receptions for 170 yards. Last year against Clemson he had 2 touchdowns on only 2 catches. He abused UNC last season, but most of the of the other games last year he had 1 or 3 catches. There weren't that many CBs last season who could have shut him down, but for some reason, we didn't utilize him. Alot of close games in the last couple of years, where small things could have made a big difference.

We love to tout our WR room as a place that can make anyone a star, but here we have an actual star, and he had the 5th most catches and 4th most TDs last season.
Plus it seems to me we also made the ACCCG vs Pitt without Greene. We have a ton of really good WR’s and run a great system offense that scores tons of points.

Why are we playing Duke in Durham again?!
New alignment with no divisions. We were supposed to be at Pitt this year but now have a H&H with them as part of the two year deal. Also have 3 new partners.

Make it 6 toss ups for me. Would you move State into likely win?
I think State is tough to gauge as a “win” just because Armstrong transferred there & got reunited with his old OC Robert Anae (2021 averaged over 500 yds offense & 396 yds passing). May get Armstrong his confidence back.

I think State is tough to gauge as a “win” just because Armstrong transferred there & got reunited with his old OC Robert Anae (2021 averaged over 500 yds offense & 396 yds passing). May get Armstrong his confidence back.
I think we'll win, but I have a tough time calling a likely nailbiter a "likely win."

NC State at WF has been a likely win for the Deacs for a long time. So, yes.

State is a mystery team. They lost a lot of talent off their defense, but still have a couple studs on that side of the ball. Brennan Armstrong was HORRIBLE last year, and UVA best position group was at receiver (admittedly, UVA's OL was horrendous). Will Armstrong find the magic when he reunites with his OC? No idea. The range of outcomes for NC State's season is wide. State opens with a tricky game at UCONN. UCONN really improved last year, State is running a new offense, and they have a look ahead hosting Notre Dame the next week. Will know a lot about the Pack after the first two games. Hartman will be playing in Carter-Finley on September 9 (ND also plays at Duke later in the season -sites of two tough WF losses last year).
Can Week 1 really be a look ahead game? I think after spending the whole offseason and summer in camp, your team is gonna be pretty dialed in regardless of your week 2 opponent.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how the D3 DT or D2 CB is looking in camp?
I mean ... they're OK. Basically serviceable, at least through 8 practices.

The DL transfers they get usually take a while (most transfers, honestly) before they get first-team reps. Haven't seen Nick Helbig take one yet and have barely seen Bryce Ganious (kid from Villanova who was here in spring, but limited) take first-team snaps. My early take would be that you shouldn't expect to see either one take more than 300ish snaps this season.

Demarcus Rankin has had some moments at CB. Today he had an INT but it was negated by an offside call (DBs had 4 other INTs, hard to be that pissed about one getting nullified). I think DaShawn Jones, when healthy, is the likely starter opposite Caelen Carson. And I think there's more upside with Jamare Glasker and Andre Hodge.

There's a trickle-down affect of the Donavon Greene injury that it hinders the DBs' development. Every 1-on-1 between WRs and DBs starts with Jahmal Banks v. Carson, so whoever is the No. 2 CB is facing one of Horatio Fields/Wesley Grimes/Walker Merrill. Those guys are going to be good but obviously none is an established, 5th-year, field-stretching threat like Donavon. So Rankin, along with all of those other young CBs, kind of misses out on improving against a better player.

Going against Wake’s WR hasn’t seem to have resulted in significant improvement for our DBs in years past.
Ehhhh, that's fair. Just looking in vacuum of this year, young DBs miss out on that benefit of developing against another established WR.

I think Grimes is going to have a MONSTER year.
He's been inconsistent. Had a bad drop today after two really good catches earlier. There's plenty of camp left for him to iron that out, though.

heck, we lost to backup Morris last year. . . curious if it even matters who their QB is. . . this game is always a head scratcher and impossible to call. Armstrong may not even be the starter for long. . .

heck, we lost to backup Morris last year. . . curious if it even matters who their QB is. . . this game is always a head scratcher and impossible to call. Armstrong may not even be the starter for long. . .

wolpfack game heavily skews to the home team.... for whatever reason.

Is Oregon State still a Power V school?

Guess WF’s culture problem was overrated.

Back