• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official CFP Rankings Thread - #16 Deacs (#15 Pitt, #18 State, #20 Clemson)

giphy.gif

Anything that helps destroy the GD CFP is fine with me!

Where would you play the Championship game....higher seed home stadium?

Anything that helps destroy the GD CFP is fine with me!

Where would you play the Championship game....higher seed home stadium?

A neutral field agreed upon by the the two winning teams. Consider travel, accommodations, proximity for fan base. Highest bidder? There are a lot of football facilities available two weeks after New Years.

After today's results Oregon and Wake Forest are gone as one loss teams. If we're talking conference champions, it's all still in play. I'm just tired of the ESPN/SEC narrative shaping the perception to meet their needs. Same with Joe Lunardi shaping the perception in college basketball on behalf of ESPN.

I suppose it’s natural, but imo it’s bonkers that Wake fans complain about the system if you take a step back. Almost nobody benefits more from it more than we do — somehow we have established ourselves as one of the “haves” while the system has put more and more distance in between us and the “have-nots”. And it’s a pretty delicate balance — seems like we are always on the verge of potentially losing our position (and all the $$$ that comes with it).

I’m somewhat mentally prepared that during my lifetime Wake sports will get basically demoted down to the second tier (particularly football), but I think a lot of fans don’t know what they are wishing for when complaining about the current system.

Official CFP Rankings Thread - #10 Deacs (#18 Pitt, #20 State)

Never thought I’d see the day where Wake dropped 8 spots in the polls for losing at Clemson.

And Clemson didn’t even get ranked as a result.

9 spots is a little much, but I guess it just shows how eager the writers and coaches were to get us out of any major conversations.

Where does this put us in terms of bowl games? If we win @BC and win the ACC, do we get a NY6 Bowl?

9 spots is a little much, but I guess it just shows how eager the writers and coaches were to get us out of any major conversations.

Where does this put us in terms of bowl games? If we win @BC and win the ACC, do we get a NY6 Bowl?

ACC champion automatically gets an NY6.

Even from an outsider’s perspective it’s pretty ridiculous that Clemson isn’t ranked. They have played UGA closer than anyone, lost to a top 15/20 team on the road that is playing in their conference championship, lost to a top 25 team on the road in OT, and beaten a top 10 team while sitting 8-3. If their jerseys and field said SEC they’d be in the top 15.

Ah yes... The things I forget about football are embarrassing.

And agreed that it's weird an 8-3 Clemson team is unranked when they played UGA that close and lost all 3 games to currently ranked teams all while beating a top 10 team is pretty crazy. You'd think they'd wanna push Clemson as still being the ACC team-to-beat. If 3-loss A&M, Wisconsin, Utah and NCSU are all ranked, it seems Clemson resume is just as good.

And agreed that it's weird an 8-3 Clemson team is unranked when they played UGA that close and lost all 3 games to currently ranked teams all while beating a top 10 team is pretty crazy. You'd think they'd wanna push Clemson as still being the ACC team-to-beat. If 3-loss A&M, Wisconsin, Utah and NCSU are all ranked, it seems Clemson resume is just as good.

They’ve also won 4 in a row so it’s not like they went into a tailspin.

I think Clemson is being punished a bit for falling so far below the pre-season expectations. We were #2 to begin the year I think, and DJ was top 1 or 2 in pre-season Heisman bets. Besides the Wake game yesterday, Clemson hasn't really had a game in which they looked like that good of a team. The defense is elite and maybe 2nd to UGA this year, but the offense has been one of the worst offenses I've ever seen.

Honestly, typically besides maybe the top 10 teams; anyone from 11-35 can beat each other on any given Saturday. All of those teams have some type of flaw and its a matter of how well you play on a given day and how the other team matches up against your weakness. It doesn't bother me that Clemson isn't ranked, but I think it does show how much of a negative media bias against the ACC exists.

Well said. It’s as important as ever for the ACC to crush SEC rivals and bowl opponents.

It’s a slight against them, which I enjoy, but a slight against us, which I resent.

Clemson will be ranked in the CFP this week. They're #26 in the AP and #27 in the Coaches.

#16 going into Championship Week vs. #15 Pitt.

mostly this all makes sense to me except BYU, who has no business being that high (and shouldn’t be ahead of us)

mostly this all makes sense to me except BYU, who has no business being that high (and shouldn’t be ahead of us)

Agreed, but if we beat Pitt I think we jump them (and OU too) by virtue of neither playing this weekend. Don't think they put us in front of MSU though.

Back