• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official EDM/Trance/Progressive Thread

Who is your favorite EDM/house/trance/progressive artist?

• Total voters
^Porter Robinson vowed that he will play it anytime Mat Zo doesn't play it on his tour on twitter either yesterday or today, so that was cool. And Arty's radio show just debuted over the weekend I believe, just finished it up this morning on the drive. He's gotta blow up soon and "Open Space" is a great track

^Porter Robinson vowed that he will play it anytime Mat Zo doesn't play it on his tour on twitter either yesterday or today, so that was cool. And Arty's radio show just debuted over the weekend I believe, just finished it up this morning on the drive. He's gotta blow up soon and "Open Space" is a great track

Porter Robinson and Mat Zo are in Charlotte tonight. Don't know why I'm not going....

They were in Silver Spring, MD last night. Monday show FTL though

The M Machine is solid too, saw them at EDC NY and really enjoyed it. Their new album is HYPE

Definitely one of the top shows at EDC Vegas this year.

Was supposed to go see them again at Red Rock in Colorado but trip fell through. Seeing them in Charlottesville on August 30th, and then probably again the following weekend at Electric Zoo.

I'll be out at Red Rocks for his shows in August. I've seen him about a half dozen times and he keeps getting bigger and better.

This Idioteque vs. Heart-Shaped Box mashup video in New Orleans last year was caught by a friend in our group. And he STILL hasn't officially released this as a song yet.

Definitely jealous of the Red Rock trip. Do you live out there or just making the trip? I'm assuming you're doing both nights?

This one is from a year or so back and is a good mash also with Nirvana, Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails but I don't think he plays it at shows anymore. Might have been replaced by the video your boy got. Don't quite remember his whole EDC Vegas set but don't think there was any Nirvana.

Saw The M Machine, Mat Zo, and Porter Robinson in St. Louis on Tuesday night. Fucking incredible show. It was at The Pageant (very nice venue), The M Machine came on and got things going, played for about 45 minutes, Mat Zo then came on and killed it, playing about an hour and 15 minutes. And then Porter Robinson came in and tore the fucking roof off the place. Played a relentless 1 hour 45 minute set, can't believe he's only 19 (and from Chapel Hill). That dude's gonna be HUGE in a year or two.

Definitely jealous of the Red Rock trip. Do you live out there or just making the trip? I'm assuming you're doing both nights?

This one is from a year or so back and is a good mash also with Nirvana, Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails but I don't think he plays it at shows anymore. Might have been replaced by the video your boy got. Don't quite remember his whole EDC Vegas set but don't think there was any Nirvana.

Making the trip from Louisiana. Both nights for sure. The guests are interesting, in that one night he'll have soul singer Lee Fields (think early James Brown) opening, and then the other night his label's artists.

Knew I should've pulled the trigger this past year...next year will be absolute chaos and don't know if I'll be able to pull it off

yes the whole hour is worth it...or just pick a random spot and check out babez. 1080p and full screen that bitch

Tomorrowland Live Feed:

Avicii just went on and opened with Baba O'Riley, following it with Fade into Darkness.

Underworld, the British electronic duo, are the music directors of the London 2012 Olympics. The London electronic music scene >>>> US, at least in my opinion. America ruined dub techno and dubstep especially. Made it too maximalist and sterile.

Underworld, the British electronic duo, are the music directors of the London 2012 Olympics. The London electronic music scene >>>> US, at least in my opinion. America ruined dub techno and dubstep especially. Made it too maximalist and sterile.

America ruined it? There are hardly enough mainstream American DJs to have made enough of an impact. Almost all of the top DJs are still international.

And I believe EDC Vegas was the largest music festival ever. I know it was at least the largest in North America.

And do explain what you mean by maximilist and sterile? No offense but that sounds VERY "hipster judging" bs. I understand the basic "sterile" criticism of electronic music but no way is that an effect of American influence.

Well this will all certainly come off as very snobby, so take it with the grain of salt that this is all only my personal preference here. The roots of dub techno and dubstep were downbeat, Lo-fi, scratchy sounds that grew out of the early 80s in England. Before that, the electronic music scene in Western Europe was vibrant, too with Kraftwerk and the dozens of bands they spawned. But as the sound moved to the US in the late 80s/early 90s and started to mature, it also started to take pretty huge artistic steps back (while stepping into the mainstream with DJs like Moby and Fatboy Slim). That music of today is almost all the way gone, for better or worse. The Chemical Brothers, Astralwerks, even Kid A era Radiohead have no place in today's electronic music sound. I think because I come from preferring Drum and Bass/ambient/trip hop, I have less respect for some of today's mainstream EDM artists in America who rely far too heavily on modulation and phase shifting and the same 15 wubs I've heard over and over again in almost every new mixtape and remix. I appreciate the music for what it's good for, but I think it has taken a sadly sterile and maximalist approach to a once really deep, dark, mellow, and groovy genre. I don't mean to sound judgmental, which I know I am, but i do find it unfortunate that there has to be this mainstream/ hipster douche dichotomy when we discuss music on the boards so often.

Well this will all certainly come off as very snobby, so take it with the grain of salt that this is all only my personal preference here. The roots of dub techno and dubstep were downbeat, Lo-fi, scratchy sounds that grew out of the early 80s in England. Before that, the electronic music scene in Western Europe was vibrant, too with Kraftwerk and the dozens of bands they spawned. But as the sound moved to the US in the late 80s/early 90s and started to mature, it also started to take pretty huge artistic steps back (while stepping into the mainstream with DJs like Moby and Fatboy Slim). That music of today is almost all the way gone, for better or worse. The Chemical Brothers, Astralwerks, even Kid A era Radiohead have no place in today's electronic music sound. I think because I come from preferring Drum and Bass/ambient/trip hop, I have less respect for some of today's mainstream EDM artists in America who rely far too heavily on modulation and phase shifting and the same 15 wubs I've heard over and over again in almost every new mixtape and remix. I appreciate the music for what it's good for, but I think it has taken a sadly sterile and maximalist approach to a once really deep, dark, mellow, and groovy genre. I don't mean to sound judgmental, which I know I am, but i do find it unfortunate that there has to be this mainstream/ hipster douche dichotomy when we discuss music on the boards so often.

There are still those guys out there. Check out James Zabiela, Hernan Cattaneo, and Orjan Nilsen for starters. Nilsen's album In My Opinion is terrific. Sure, these guys aren't American, and yes, most American DJ's play things incredibly safe, but there are still those guys out there willing to take risks.

Yea I should have added that there are still acts out there making tremendous, challenging music, and technology has not been the ultimate enemy worldwide. But I think wakefanatic puts it well that Americans, especially in the mainstream, have played it safe at least since 2005 or so.

the overhead shots of Tomorrowland aren't real...like wtf

Back