• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Election Month Thread: COUP falls short, nothing to see here

I’m pleasantly surprised by the number of US outlets calling this a suicide bombing and calling him a suicide bomber.

Well, he committed suicide via a rather large bomb. So it kinda fits. But he had the warning language to evacuate the area playing prior to the explosion, which suggests he did not want to harm other people. And he apparently did not leave behind a note or anything explaining what kind of statement he wanted to make, if any. All we appear to know is he was a loner tech guy, who didn't talk to neighbors and apparently who had some family issues, and that he liked the old song "Downtown". If he were making a political statement, you'd think he would have been more forthcoming with said statement. Unless there really is something behind the AT&T location, maybe it's just a dude who was miserable and wanted to off himself in a creative way that made him famous for 15 minutes.

I thought Rasmussen at least pretended to be nonpartisan.

I'm not following your pleasant surprise. Suicide bombings aren't terrorism?

They can be and usually are, but I don't know about this case. Terrorism is the use or threat of violence to further a political or religious cause. The dude didn't leave a manifesto at his home, and the FBI is now going through his computer to try to determine what his motive was. The only thing people are possibly pointing to right now is something AT&T related, but what can that be, Lily's/Milana's double D cup size? I think it's more likely that he was suicidal, and he decided to take himself, though not others, out in a spectacular way to show off his technical prowess. Doing that in the middle of a rural field isn't news, but taking out part of a city block is.

They can be and usually are, but I don't know about this case. Terrorism is the use or threat of violence to further a political or religious cause. The dude didn't leave a manifesto at his home, and the FBI is now going through his computer to try to determine what his motive was. The only thing people are possibly pointing to right now is something AT&T related, but what can that be, Lily's/Milana's double D cup size? I think it's more likely that he was suicidal, and he decided to take himself, though not others, out in a spectacular way to show off his technical prowess. Doing that in the middle of a rural field isn't news, but taking out part of a city block is.

Really? That seems like a pretty stupid and narrow definition. If I go set off a bunch of bombs simply to cause mayhem and terror in the minds of Americans but I have no political or religious cause I'm not a terrorist, just a bomber? I had no idea

I still believe if a guy with an Arabic name did this Christmas bombing it would be called terrorism based just off his name and the day it happened. :noidea:

Plenty of reasons one might hate AT&T...but that’s not one (or two) of ‘em.

Unless you’re a crazed repressed sicko.

Really? That seems like a pretty stupid and narrow definition. If I go set off a bunch of bombs simply to cause mayhem and terror in the minds of Americans but I have no political or religious cause I'm not a terrorist, just a bomber? I had no idea

I still believe if a guy with an Arabic name did this Christmas bombing it would be called terrorism based just off his name and the day it happened. :noidea:

It has nothing to do with this guy being white. The unabomber, McVeigh, the Pittsburgh synagogue shooter and Dylan Roof were all terrorists and correctly labeled as such. What is the political/religious/social agenda here? If there is a 5G conspiracy aspect to this, then yes. But if it's just a guy who blew himself and part of a city block up for no specific cause other than taking himself out in spectacular fashion, then no. This was an issue with that Vegas mass murder a few years back, and I frankly don't remember if the authorities ever came up with a reason why that guy did what he did. I didn't make up the definition. And yeah, if some Arabic guy did this, he shouldn't be labeled a terrorist until a motive was determined.

Plenty of reasons one might hate AT&T...but that’s not one (or two) of ‘em.

Unless you’re a crazed repressed sicko.

For the record, I have no issues with Milana. But maybe this guy assumed she's Muslim because she's from Uzbekistan, and this guy did what he did because AT&T hired a Muslim ferner as opposed to a true blooded Murcan. Then it would be an act of terror.

Official Election Month Thread: Pubs foment insurrection

I'm not following your pleasant surprise. Suicide bombings aren't terrorism?

Because US media don’t typically refer to white men as suicide bombers. Other outlets are using headlines like this to skirt the obvious.

dd0f39b740409b4a14674fefbf7be0c0.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that he should be labeled a suicide bomber. I would just hold off on the terrorist moniker.

And I checked Wiki on Milana. She is Jewish, a small minority in Uzbekistan. Probably a Bukharan Jew.

Speaking of the -stans, I discovered a while back on youtube that the slogan that neighboring Kazakhstan is using for tourism these days is "very nice". The ads were well done. Nice to see them embrace Sasha, especially considering how much their government was wigging out when the 1st Borat movie came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRGXq4t9wY4

Semantics. Suicide bombers and mass shooters on rooftops and crazy old white guys with camper bombs are terrorizing their victims and the nation. That’s kinda my point. I don’t see the value of the distinction.

Semantics. Suicide bombers and mass shooters on rooftops and crazy old white guys with camper bombs are terrorizing their victims and the nation. That’s kinda my point. I don’t see the value of the distinction.

No, words have meaning. And I think it's fair to call out the media if they're not referring to him as a suicide bomber because that's exactly what he did. But the traditional meaning of terrorism implies the crime had a political/religious purpose that he was attempting to further, so I think it's appropriate not to refer to him as a terrorist until such time as the FBI informs us of the results of their investigation. If you commit mass murder because you're nuts, then you're just a mass murderer. We unfortunately get a lot of mass murder in our country. Not all of it is referred to as terrorism, despite how terrifying it is.

Connor, I haven't seen anything yet to suggest a connection to the election. The only possible connection I've seen speculated in the media so far is AT&T. But given his age, ethnicity and personality, I wouldn't be astonished if something like that was a motivating factor. I'm just glad no one else was killed.

Back