• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

WF needs a coach that can build a soild program, like Tony Bennett did with UVA. What good will it do if WF hires a "name", if he does not deliver? Not saying it can't be both, but when listing priorities for the next coach, just hiring a "name" without the commitment, drive and longevity to build a program won't help WF as soon as the press conference is over.

Said many a Wake fan in April 2010.

The point is that the fan base is practically in mourning. A big-time hire is needed to rejuvenate things.

The BC fan and the VCU baller just had a hilarious exchange where the BC guys says they offer Shaka 5 mill and the VCU baller says Shaka will go much higher (i think it's safe to say he's not talking about monetary compensation).

I think its useful to include how much you value a coach when saying you'd think he was a home run hire.

1) Shaka, Marshall, Wright ( 3mill aav and however long they want big contract buyout included) obviously top three choices for the brinks truck approach want them here a while and basketball wise would be beyond amazing.

2) Archie Miller, Mack, Rick Barnes ,Howland (2.0- 2.5 mill range)- I really have question marks about Howland and I think he's desperate but he's a "big proven name" Barnes and Miller I would be happy with for different reasons and Mack is my safety net because he would be a solid hire who can win basketball games. Obviously if we sign Mack in the next couple of days I would have to get over the drop in excietmnt from the first group to second but Wake Basketball would STILL be in much better shape going forward.

3) Danny Manning , Mike White, Russell Turner etc- no with maybe Danny Manning being the extreme safety net I just need a couple more years of experience or success as a head coach in a bigger conference .

You'd pay mack 2-2.5?

If we're not getting Shaka I hope we don't go below a Marshall or Howland caliber name. We have got to have someone who has been proven to be a flat out great college coach and has the name recognition to make people sit up and take notice. I have little doubt Howland could do great things here. But I prefer Marshall. Have a bad feeling we're gonna end up with a much lesser name though.

I guess I just like Miller's upside a lot and really don't like what Howland did at UCLA. ( My huge caveat is I could pretty easily talk myself into Howland.)

You don't seem to put to much value in Dan's work, typically. I think you should stick with that. I doubt Dan is getting real scoop here. I doubt Dan has penetrated that inner circle. Could be wrong but I bet he is getting biased/tainted morsels from the periphery.

That last piece by Dan about "swinging for the fences" was based on nothing more substantial than the rumors that fly on here. Dan knows nothing just as he knew nothing about Bz. Not his fault. His sources don't know anything either except the spin they are told to feed him by Wellman.

Last edited:
I'd rather not but if no one above him accepts my money truck I might have to.

Because we have money doesn't mean we have to overspend on a coach. Iirc he doesn't even make $1 million

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Beware fake twitter accounts/info

I'd take Archie over Howland. So much upside. Howland is a great name and would be a fine coach, but if we are talking long term fix, Archie is that.

Because we have money doesn't mean we have to overspend on a coach. Iirc he doesn't even make $1 million

I get the premise of not "overspending" but the least of my concerns as a Wake Forest bball fan right now is how much money we spend. I'm sure the people running the search know how to look at industry expectations for coaching. They've made "initial contact" with Mack as publicly reported. I'm sure they know how much he'll cost if they swing and miss on other options.

Hopefully the Bz disaster taught Wellman the importance of managing expectations. Last time, it seemed like we went from Tier 1 expectations (which may not have been realistic) to being served crap overnight. This resulted in animosity toward the hire from day one--which he then spent the next 4 years "selling to fanbase". The fact that we are not yet hearing anything from OUR camp subtly telling us to manage expectations is a good thing--I think. Got to think we are still in play for Tier 1 of some sort. Otherwise, it is in their interest to get us prepared for Tier 2. I think there will be blood in water if we get a Goodman tweet announcing a Tier 3 person out of the blue--like with Bz.

WF needs a coach that can build a soild program, like Tony Bennett did with UVA. What good will it do if WF hires a "name", if he does not deliver? Not saying it can't be both, but when listing priorities for the next coach, just hiring a "name" without the commitment, drive and longevity to build a program won't help WF as soon as the press conference is over.

I don't think we can afford to take a chance on a Bennett level candidate at this point (I'm talking where Bennett was at the time he was hired by UVA, not where he is now) after 4 years of Bz, cause for every Bennett there's a Gregory or Donahue. Having said that, I fully expect us to not get a Marshall or Howland level candidate. It's not just about the name, though I think that would open doors and help to get Wake bball where it needs to be. I also think they're both fantastic coaches who will be able to get the most out of our players.

I kind of disagree on this. Even if we over spend it shows a commitment to the national media, the fan base AND to prospective future coaches and players that WFU is committed to winning and competing in basketball. Not saying we toss out 3 million to [Redacted] type coaches but it's like on Dave Glenn this past week Dino was saying we'd only spend 1.5 to 1.8 mil on our coach. More people might be attracted if it were, "wake's open and that's a solid 2.5-3 million position."

That's kind of what Marshall was implying. He wouldn't come to a Wake for 1.5-1.8. He might if it were 2.5 - 3.0

The BC fan and the VCU baller just had a hilarious exchange where the BC guys says they offer Shaka 5 mill and the VCU baller says Shaka will go much higher (i think it's safe to say he's not talking about monetary compensation).

I think its useful to include how much you value a coach when saying you'd think he was a home run hire.

1) Shaka, Marshall, Wright ( 3mill aav and however long they want big contract buyout included) obviously top three choices for the brinks truck approach want them here a while and basketball wise would be beyond amazing.

2) Archie Miller, Mack, Rick Barnes ,Howland (2.0- 2.5 mill range)- I really have question marks about Howland and I think he's desperate but he's a "big proven name" Barnes and Miller I would be happy with for different reasons and Mack is my safety net because he would be a solid hire who can win basketball games. Obviously if we sign Mack in the next couple of days I would have to get over the drop in excietmnt from the first group to second but Wake Basketball would STILL be in much better shape going forward.

3) Danny Manning , Mike White

Russell Turner etc- do not want.

FIFY

I kind of disagree on this. Even if we over spend it shows a commitment to the national media, the fan base AND to prospective future coaches and players that WFU is committed to winning and competing in basketball. Not saying we toss out 3 million to [Redacted] type coaches but it's like on Dave Glenn this past week Dino was saying we'd only spend 1.5 to 1.8 mil on our coach. More people might be attracted if it were, "wake's open and that's a solid 2.5-3 million position."

That's kind of what Marshall was implying. He wouldn't come to a Wake for 1.5-1.8. He might if it were 2.5 - 3.0

This couldn't agree more.

I am just afraid that RW swings big and strikes out three times and then hires another coach from the minor leagues on the gut feeling that a career .215 hitter will become a .400 hitter at Wake. I would so pissed if RW farts around and Howland goes someplace else. Hiring Archie off this NCAA tournament would be really difficult. This is not Florida Atlantic we are dealing with.

That last piece by Dan about "swinging for the fences" was based on nothing more substantial than the rumors that fly on here. Dan knows nothing just as he knew nothing about Bz. Not his fault. His sources don't know anything either except the spin they are told to feed him by Wellman.

Except that I don't even think it is necessarily fed by Wellman. They are plenty of "well-connected" folks that are still out of the loop right now but that doesn't keep them from speculating. They are playing the guessing game and telephone just like we are on the boards. In the pursuit of wanting to know what is going on, people start trying to read into things and as soon as something is discussed enough it is believed as fact.

I don't think we can afford to take a chance on a Bennett level candidate at this point (I'm talking where Bennett was at the time he was hired by UVA, not where he is now) after 4 years of Bz, cause for every Bennett there's a Gregory or Donahue. Having said that, I fully expect us to not get a Marshall or Howland level candidate. It's not just about the name, though I think that would open doors and help to get Wake bball where it needs to be. I also think they're both fantastic coaches who will be able to get the most out of our players.

Bennett had a better record in his three years at Wazzu (in a better conference) than Miller has had in his three years at Dayton.

But Marshall deserves that kind of money. Chris Mack for $2-2.5? Absolutely not. I get the "have more money, more people will be attracted." So you go with the guys that are worth the money you're willing to dish out, not the guys that are interested at $1.5.

Back