• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

The truth of the matter is that people were expecting a more established name. That is the crux of the issue with Manning. Given his short track record, it's hard to determine if he will be a good coach or not. There are a lot of variables involved in coaching. I think most people will accept it and support Manning if/when he is hired, but right now it is hard to be completely sold on this hire, when comparing it to the higher profile names that were discussed excessively at the beginning of this thread.

I wanted a more established name too. I would have preferred Mack.

What other potential candidate in ANY schools search outright said that X or Y school was pursuing him. It isn't a bullshit wake forest elitist attitude. This was the ONLY incident of this nature so far this offseason.

It's crying over spilt milk - like I said, you are free to call bush league on him and that's fine - with the exception of the Marquette debacle and the USF issues, there really havent been any high profile openings this year that have dragged on. Manning saw an opportunity and took advantage of it to leverage the best opportunity - if he doesnt take the Wake job maybe it will come back to bite him in the ass - the point being, the Wellman shit show has really led to this.

What other potential candidate in ANY schools search outright said that X or Y school was pursuing him. It isn't a bullshit wake forest elitist attitude. This was the ONLY incident of this nature so far this offseason.

Also, I can't recall any other candidate for a WF job pulling that kind of stunt.

Perhaps he is trying to tell RW that if he comes he will be his own man. Whatever it does not appear to be a class way to do business. And money should not be a huge issue for Manning, unless he has terribly mismanaged his finances. I suspect something else is in play here.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_a925d414-f60c-5957-bde9-3b2e8c1dbcec.html

Scheduled for Tuesday, a court hearing involving University of Tulsa basketball player Pat Swilling Jr. was rescheduled for April 3.

Hmmm add another layer of intrigue to tomorrow. Is Wake really going to hire Manning and talk about building the program for the future in the "Wake" way while one of the former players Manning took a risk on goes through a hearing investigating a rape complaint ?

Gulp.

I am probably in the minority, but I don't get the hate towards how Manning might be playing both Wake and Tulsa to get the best deal or force someone's hand in the deal - at the end of the day, I want the guy that wants to fucking win, and win badly, on the court, on the recruiting trail and in business. More power to him if he thinks he can pull it off. The idea that he is breaking some unwritten rule, or that he should somehow be more of a gentleman because he is dealing with Wake Forest is bullshit to me... it wreaks of elitism and pettiness on our part. Sure, you can call bush league on him, but I am sure there are plenty of us that in real life have tried to play both sides very carefully to leverage the best opportunity. Shit, I would assume that Wellman (and every other AD) plays the same game... that said, I recognize assuming anything positive about Wellman is wishful thinking at best. Perhaps that is the most frustrating part of this whole "search" is it really looks like Wellman is getting played over and over...

Best post of the day!

So basically everything that was leaked by everyone else was done intentionally with purpose. But what we leaked was the result of gross incompetence or an irrational view of what was acceptable to the fanbase

I feel worse than I did during the bzd days bc atleast then I had hope

I actually think that what we've leaked has been just as intentional as well

I actually think that what we've leaked has been just as intentional as well

I am sure it was. But do you think it was rational or competent to leak that we were going for a home run hire and that shaka would be settling?

What the fuck?!?

I think Manning has done a good job coaching, but I am willing to reexamine my opinion about Wake looking at Buzz Williams based on the issue that others have pointed out about Manning. It doesn't hold much weight based on these new facts.

I am sure it was. But do you think it was rational or competent to leak that we were going for a home run hire and that shaka would be settling?

What the fuck?!?

Depends on who the leaks are coming from on our end, and since nobody seems to want to out their sources there's no way to tell. Unfortunately we seem to have a lot more people who think they know what's going on than people who actually do, so its entirely possible that people are leaking false information in order to put more pressure on the people who are actually making decisions.

Depends on who the leaks are coming from on our end, and since nobody seems to want to out their sources there's no way to tell. Unfortunately we seem to have a lot more people who think they know what's going on than people who actually do, so its entirely possible that people are leaking false information in order to put more pressure on the people who are actually making decisions.

I am giving Dan Collins enough credit to know who to rely on for quotes like that.

Not everything that is said in public during contract negotiations is true - entirely possible that somebody from the Howland camp leaked that Wake was his first choice as part of an attempt to get more money elsewhere.

Babydeac75 said that Wellman liked Howland. This was within a day or two after the [Redacted] firing, IIRC.

This has been the most mishandled hire in Wellman's career. I am not talking about the person hired but about how the hire is happening. It looks like a Badour hire.

Back