• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official LOB CITY CLIPPERS Thread

Agree. Make an announcement that you are going to stay put, and hold out if any team that trades for you. Then walk away next year and go to some team that was smart enough to dump salary, use amnesty, and throw the season for a high draft pick as well. Ziinnnng.

Yeah except for this doesn't help get CP3 to the Lake Show......that's what we all wanted, remember?

Stern is screwing the Hornets and Paul to prove a point. The owners wanted some sort of franchise tag to keep players from leaving small market teams in the CBA and didn't get it. Stern wants stars to have to choose between the money and playing where they want to. Until this situation they never did and he's using Paul to make an example even if it screws the Hornets in the long run.

Paul needs a trade this year to get the biggest new contract he can get. He loses big money if he has to wait out the year, walk on the Hornets, and then sign a free agent deal with a new team, because the new team won't have his Bird rights (allowing him to sign for more money per year, and a fifth year). It's tens of millions we're talking about.

Starting to feel like Chris will pull a Barry Sanders eventually. The league treats him like crap, he'll end up on some crap team, and eventually he'll just hang it up early as one of the best who ever lived.

I don't actually think this will happen, but it would be a shame.

Paul needs a trade this year to get the biggest new contract he can get. He loses big money if he has to wait out the year, walk on the Hornets, and then sign a free agent deal with a new team, because the new team won't have his Bird rights (allowing him to sign for more money per year, and a fifth year). It's tens of millions we're talking about.

Which is how the NBA and small market teams want it to be. Paul doesn't have to give up the money if he stays in New Orleans. Stern hates it that superstars can demand a trade in the final year of their contract, go where they want and get paid the maximum amount of money.

I have no clue if there's any risk of this (I suspect not), but would it just take a simple majority vote from the owners to oust Stern?

Which is how the NBA and small market teams want it to be. Paul doesn't have to give up the money if he stays in New Orleans. Stern hates it that superstars can demand a trade in the final year of their contract, go where they want and get paid the maximum amount of money.

Then they shouldn't have allowed a two-year spending window for Paul and Howard to exploit before the luxury tax has teeth.

Some different takes out there on Stern's thinking. As BB notes many think he is trying to make an example of CP. You can't get all your money and leave your small market team to go wherever you want. A principled stance against superstars that he has control over as Hornets owner.

Others are saying they don't want to trade Paul until there is a buyer. It is easier to sell the team with Paul even if he is leaving because the buyer will like being able to control the price himself. Have until the March 1st trade deadline. They can't say this publicly because technically it is illegal.

And if they place these ridiculously high demands for Paul and someone actually fills them, again it is easier to sell the team. The conflicts of interest here are amazing.

I have no clue if there's any risk of this (I suspect not), but would it just take a simple majority vote from the owners to oust Stern?

I wouldn't be surprised if most of them quietly support him. He needs to go in my opinion though.

Some different takes out there on Stern's thinking. As BB notes many think he is trying to make an example of CP. You can't get all your money and leave your small market team to go wherever you want. A principled stance against superstars that he has control over as Hornets owner.

Others are saying they don't want to trade Paul until there is a buyer. It is easier to sell the team with Paul even if he is leaving because the buyer will like being able to control the price himself. Have until the March 1st trade deadline. They can't say this publicly because technically it is illegal.

And if they place these ridiculously high demands for Paul and someone actually fills them, again it is easier to sell the team. The conflicts of interest here are amazing.

Can you explain the part I've bolded. I'm not following.

Which is exactly the point Phil Jackson made last December. Looks like he was exactly right.

Can you explain the part I've bolded. I'm not following.

If you are a supremely successful businessman and plan on buying the Hornets, which option would you prefer: buy them with this amazing asset, albeit one that wants out, and see what YOU can get for that asset... or buy them after somebody else negotiated something for that asset.

Technically the NBA shouldn't be influenced by that or they could get legit sued.

Deal isn't dead. Looks like they're pushing to make it for tomorrow.

If you are a supremely successful businessman and plan on buying the Hornets, which option would you prefer: buy them with this amazing asset, albeit one that wants out, and see what YOU can get for that asset... or buy them after somebody else negotiated something for that asset.

Oh, okay. Thanks. Gotcha. :thumbsup:

Deal isn't dead. Looks like they're pushing to make it for tomorrow.

Yeah ESPN is reporting that there's still the potential that the deal could be finalized by as early as Tuesday night, but I haven't read any of the details yet.

So the Clippers have now signed Billups? But the talks about Paul going to the Clippers have resumed? What is going on.

So the Clippers have now signed Billups? But the talks about Paul going to the Clippers have resumed? What is going on.

Clippers acquire Billups thru waivers so that they can now offer Aminu, Bledsoe, Billups, Kaman and the Minnesota 2012 pick for Paul?

I read this article about Billups a couple days ago.
Billups warns teams not to claim him off waivers
“I’m tired of being the glue guy,” Billups told Yahoo! Sports by phone on Saturday afternoon. “I’m tired of being viewed as the good guy. After a while, you just kind of get taken advantage of in these situations. I’ve been known as a leader, and I am a leader, but a leader can be as disruptive as he can be productive, especially when you carry a strong voice and people rally around you. This is about me now. This is about me, and teams should know that right now.”
“I just don’t deserve the treatment that I’ve continually gotten,” Billups said. “Historically, these things never happen to the supposed great players and good guys. They continually happen to me, and it gets old. Listen, I feel I’ve been blessed in the game, and I’ve been given back, but these things start to wear on you. But there’s not another guy in history who keeps dealing with this, getting thrown into these things to make the money right. I really believe it’s because people take my kindness and professionalism for weakness. They think I’ll be OK with this. I won’t be OK with this. I’ve saved my money. I may just retire if I don’t get my freedom here.

“I want my freedom. My goal is to control my own destiny. And as you’ve seen in my career, I’ve never been in a position to do that. I know some teams out there are saying, ‘Oh, Chauncey will be great in mentoring’ and I’m tired of that. I’ve got a few good years left to play, and I’m not trying to come in and sit on the bench, or be a mentor. I’m not going to be that guy. I want to go somewhere and win. I want to choose.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A2KJ3CT4veZOAEUAfk9NbK5_?slug=aw-wojnarowski_billups_amnesty_waiver_121011

Back