• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Really? I have been hearing some good things about it. Have a guy's trip planned for Pinehurst. Courses I have to play are Tobacco Road, Dormie Club, Pine Needles and Mid Pines. We are also playing Country Club of NC. I heard TR was a good change of pace from the others.

It is, and it's a fun mix with the rest of the courses you've picked. Crazy course for sure, but still fun. Dormie Club has some crazy holes as well (and some questionable ones like #11), then you've got Pine Needles as your classic and Mid Pines as an updated classic. CCNC will be first class. I just wouldn't play Tobacco Road last...

Dormie is in really rough shape right now.

Heard a rumor that Eagle Point (site of the Wells Fargo next spring) lost their greens.

Heard a rumor that Eagle Point (site of the Wells Fargo next spring) lost their greens.

Too bad about Dormie. Back when they were still private that place was immaculate. What was the story there - couldn't find enough members and had to ditch staying private?

62d1343fe958fe88923828cb9b1bb045.jpg
e058934bd7ff0adedac58d5979c34d6f.jpg

Down at Hilton Head for a long weekend, and played Harbour Town yesterday. Very, very tight and tough, but lots of fun, and it was in great shape. Used Bill Haas' locker in the locker room. Take the time to enjoy a round of drinks (or two) in the bar in the locker room if you ever play there. First class all the way around.

Too bad about Dormie. Back when they were still private that place was immaculate. What was the story there - couldn't find enough members and had to ditch staying private?

I don't think they ever truly were private. They were founded to be an ultra private with a solid 6 figure initiation, then the bottom fell out of the economy. For a few years they still claimed to be "private" but allowed daily fee access for a pretty high greens fee. Then over the last few years they have been fully public with fees anywhere from $50 to $100. I really enjoy playing there but have never seen it it truly great shape since the very early years. I think eventually someone will buy it up and give it some TLC. It will never be the ultra private they had hoped.

I'm a huge Tobacco Road fan but you'll definitely have some people that don't like it. Mainly, people who played poorly there and then get angry at its gimmicky nature.

Lots of blind shots. Some approaches where you can't see the green or flag. But lots of risk - reward like all Strantz courses.

I also strongly believe that playing it the second time or with someone who has played it before makes a big difference.

've played plenty of bad rounds of golf. I just really don't like Tobacco Road. Love those other three courses though.

It's about 10 degrees too hot for the last weekend in September. I think I lost about 6 pounds the past two days playing in this heat!

Was 75 and partly cloudy on Saturday up here in NoVA. Yesterday was even better, low 70s and sunny, but I only got to play on Saturday. 18 holes in 3:20 on a Saturday in NoVA (even with a 3some) is just crazy.

I played the back nine of CCNC Dogwood just before it reopened a few weeks ago and it is fantastic. I'm still a little disappointed they flattened out the bunkers but I recognize the course was really, really hard for the old members. There is a new tee on 16 so you can play the hole from 240 over the water. Moving 15 green closer to the lake was also a great call.

I'm biased because it is my club but I think the stretch from 13-18 is my favorite in golf.

What do you mean lost their greens? Like they managed to kill them while trying to get them ready? Isn't it still early enough that that doesn't matter? My dad's a member, I could probably ask him if he's heard anything...

Was 75 and partly cloudy on Saturday up here in NoVA. Yesterday was even better, low 70s and sunny, but I only got to play on Saturday. 18 holes in 3:20 on a Saturday in NoVA (even with a 3some) is just crazy.

Yeah, it wasn't in the mid-70's around here, unfortunately (but will be later this week!). Hit 92 in Raleigh on Saturday, and Greensboro must have been pretty close because I was roasting out at the NC Mid-Am.

What do you mean lost their greens? Like they managed to kill them while trying to get them ready? Isn't it still early enough that that doesn't matter? My dad's a member, I could probably ask him if he's heard anything...

Bent greens didn't survive the heat and are in really bad shape. I haven't heard what the remedy is, but I suspect they have enough money to just sod the affected areas and no doubt the course will be mint for the tourney next Spring.

They are very rare in having bent greens on the coast. Almost everyone has switched to ultradwarf bermuda or seaside paspalum.

Off to Myrtle for 8 days of golf. Hopefully the Course's will all be playable.

On the agenda.

The Wizard - Heather Glen - Legends Heath - True Blue - Avocet - Litchfield - Barefoot Love - Barefoot Fazio

Excited.

Won closest to the hole in a golf tournament today. Suck it all the other golfers I was playing against !

Any of you guys used the OptiShot? I am thinking of getting the set up for my house (live in Blowing Rock- need a cold weather option for golf)

Playing Streamsong over Xmas. Not sure how many of you guys have heard of it. www.streamsongresort.com Opened a few years ago and the two courses were instantly rated as top 5 in FL. It was built on a old phosphorous quarry and is designed for walking. Should be a great time.

Playing Streamsong over Xmas. Not sure how many of you guys have heard of it. www.streamsongresort.com Opened a few years ago and the two courses were instantly rated as top 5 in FL. It was built on a old phosphorous quarry and is designed for walking. Should be a great time.

Definitely post your experience. Been on my list for a while.

Definitely post your experience. Been on my list for a while.

I will. I am doing the Stay and Play and will be playing both courses. I am pretty excited. The guy I am playing with has played them both already. I travel to FL for Xmas every year, so the trip was a must-do.

Very well known new set of courses. Tom Doak, Gil Hanse, and Coore-Crenshaw design. I hear they are fabulous. Let us know your experience

Back