• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Any of you guys used the OptiShot? I am thinking of getting the set up for my house (live in Blowing Rock- need a cold weather option for golf)

I have wanted to get OptiShot for a long time but need to wait and see if I get a house with a room it works in.

Of course there is a Cyber Monday deal going on. So I feel inclined to get it.. haha

Yeah, for $300 I might just get it and let a friend keep it until I settle outside DC. Then again, it could be cheaper/better when I move in however long so yeah.....

I will. I am doing the Stay and Play and will be playing both courses. I am pretty excited. The guy I am playing with has played them both already. I travel to FL for Xmas every year, so the trip was a must-do.

Very nice. I played Streamsong Red from my birthday in May along with Copperhead and Island Course at Innisbrooke. Absolutely great trip. Streamsong was awesome, pretty tough if you aren't playing well or aren't hitting it close. Greens were about a 13 that day and I'm use to playing on about 9's. You can imagine what happened there. My buddy shot 71 from the back tee like an asshole.

Playing Streamsong over Xmas. Not sure how many of you guys have heard of it. www.streamsongresort.com Opened a few years ago and the two courses were instantly rated as top 5 in FL. It was built on a old phosphorous quarry and is designed for walking. Should be a great time.

They should almost be done with Streamsong Black as well, hoping to get back down and play it next year.

I looked into Optishot a while ago when I was toying with the idea of setting up an indoor swing area. Didn't end up getting one. From some friends I know that have tried it and one that bought one and returned it, it definitely sounds like a "you get what you pay for" experience. Not that it's bad - for $300 it's great. But don't expect accurate distances or spin info or any really good swing feedback. Struggles to pick up swings from drivers apparently. But overall if you're looking for an inexpensive virtual golf experience, more for fun than for real swing analysis or work, it should be really good. Reports are that it requires a speedier computer than the specs dictate, just FYI.

Yeah I hit some balls at a friends house with my clubs but nothing seemed accurate. Though he said it could have been because I didn't take an hour to calibrate my settings and distances. I kinda thought the whole point was to use OptiShot so it could tell me my distances but oh well :noidea:

The best way to describe Streamsong is Disneyland for golfers. As I mentioned we did the Stay and Play at the Lodge and played both courses. Also, I'm an 18 for informational purposes.

On Day 1, we arrived at about 10:30 am and checked into the Lodge. The hotel feels brand new and has multiple restaurants on premises (which is necessary because there is nothing else around). You definitely get the upscale vibe as soon as you arrive. There is a Mercedes van shuttle from the Lodge to the Clubhouse that continuously runs the Clubhouse. We headed to the range to hit some balls pre-round.

Another shuttle takes you to the range from the clubhouse, but this is just a large golf cart. The range was grass obviously, but there were no markers to show you distances. A nice chipping area abuts the range as well.

We next headed to the clubhouse for our time on the Red Course. We decided to ride cart for this round. You can't use carts before 11, so decided to ride one day and walk the other. We also wanted to crush beers. The course is straight up amazing. It's pretty wide open, so you won't really lose many balls.

2430voi.jpg

It's in great shape and very well manicured. I tend to think the greens a little too tough. We had a forecaddie (which is kind of a misnomer because he just rode with us and told us where to hit it). Of the two courses, I think the Red course had more interesting holes and views.

That night, we went to the bar at the Lodge. The Clubhouse only had a dinner menu. The steakhouse on premise is at the Clubhouse, so the dinner menu was cost prohibitive for just after our round. We went back to the Lodge and hung out at the bar and grabbed some food. The vibe was interesting because there were more couples than I would expect. I think it is because we went the week between Xmas and New Years which is typically family time. I expect there are more guy trips during the high season of Jan-Feb.

On the second day, we walked the Blue course. We had the same caddie who double looped our bags. We were a little hungover, but walking was great. Number 1 on Blue makes you walk about 60 ft. up with a tee shot down towards the fairway. It's a spectacular way to begin the course.

The courses really feel like West Coast with East Coast weather. Once the Black course is done, I expect it to be one of the top destination golf resorts in the country (if it is not already). We played with guys from Connecticut and Canada. You definitely get an East Coast vibe from the clientele. Everyone we talked to mentioned wanting to play Bandon, but it's too difficult to travel to.

All in all, I give the experience 9.5/10. The place loses .5 for basically dying at 9:00 which I assume is more of a factor of when we played than anything less. There are a lot of olds too though. If you are on the fence, do it. You will not regret it. I am happy to answer any questions.

2cx97vc.jpg

Also, the greens on the Blue Course were so hard (false fronts, multi-tiered, etc.). I can't imagine what the Black course will be like.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics and writeup! Definitely on my short list.

We take a yearly trip to the Orlando area each December, maybe I can sell my crew on Streamsong next year. Did the morning groups have enough time to play 36 per day out of curiosity? One of the bigger draws for the rather ordinary resort we've gone to is that they have 3 courses and they're never crowded. 18-lunch-18 each day is no problem.

Thanks for the pics and writeup! Definitely on my short list.

We take a yearly trip to the Orlando area each December, maybe I can sell my crew on Streamsong next year. Did the morning groups have enough time to play 36 per day out of curiosity? One of the bigger draws for the rather ordinary resort we've gone to is that they have 3 courses and they're never crowded. 18-lunch-18 each day is no problem.

I think you can do it. The first groups are out at around 8ish and the last groups are around 1 or so. The caddies tend to speed things along. Like I mentioned in my previous post, the fairways are pretty open so there really isn't much time spent looking for balls. The third course there will be open next December as well.

I suck at golf but play a few times a year. I was down at MB this past week and the Golfsmith store was closing. Picked up a set of Mizuno MP-57 iron for $60. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

Playing the Ocean Course at Kiawa in two weeks, hopefully the weather is nice.

I was at Sea Island Georgia last year around this time, and it was like 30 degrees and 25 knot winds. Walked off the course after nine holes and got drunk in the clubhouse. Also everyone I was with wanted to play the Plantation course, so I was already kind of pissed that we weren't playing the Seaside course.

I suck at golf but play a few times a year. I was down at MB this past week and the Golfsmith store was closing. Picked up a set of Mizuno MP-57 iron for $60. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

lol. 60?!?!?! Might be a little steep

Really? Everything I could find showed a used set retailed for about $250.

Lol I'm kidding. If you can find a set of good used irons for 60 bucks and they aren't broken, you probably did good for yourself.

The Golfsmith thing was a mess.

In one of the stores here I was in looking for deals after a round. A worker came over to ask if I needed help - I said I was surprised there weren't more closeout items. He said, "Well we're one of the stores they're keeping, so we won't be having a fire sale here." GolfWRX already had a list of the stores that were going to be closed - they released it in two batches - I showed him the list because he asked. His store was on it and was shuttered 5 days later, all employees fired. Brutal.

In one of the stores here I was in looking for deals after a round. A worker came over to ask if I needed help - I said I was surprised there weren't more closeout items. He said, "Well we're one of the stores they're keeping, so we won't be having a fire sale here." GolfWRX already had a list of the stores that were going to be closed - they released it in two batches - I showed him the list because he asked. His store was on it and was shuttered 5 days later, all employees fired. Brutal.

Yeah. I ordered custom clubs through them that were seriously delayed. I called Mizuno and they said they weren't shipping my clubs because Golfsmith hadn't paid them. I cancelled my order and re-ordered through a local country club. It was pretty bad.

Loved the deals on the SM5's tho

Back