• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I need to swing a damn golf club before next weekend.

Hitting up Santee again for a nice Winter trip. Looks like 60's and rain, but there could be a gap in the radar.

I need to swing a damn golf club before next weekend.

Hitting up Santee again for a nice Winter trip. Looks like 60's and rain, but there could be a gap in the radar.

Seriously..... As my death scramble partner, you're gonna need to get some range time in.

#repost from this summer

giphy.gif

Anyone ever played Firestone? I have a friend who is a member at a course owned by Clubcorp. Firestone is also a Clubcorp course meaning a member can pay a greens fee and get on, even though it's private. For some reason, Firestone has been at the of the list my friend's list for a long time and he wants to make a road trip later this year.

Worth it?

Anyone ever played Firestone? I have a friend who is a member at a course owned by Clubcorp. Firestone is also a Clubcorp course meaning a member can pay a greens fee and get on, even though it's private. For some reason, Firestone has been at the of the list my friend's list for a long time and he wants to make a road trip later this year.

Worth it?

Ohio ? No Fucking Way it's worth it !

Trying to think of how long it's been since a club had a much buzz and hype as the new Epic from Callaway... Probably going to be a late Christmas present to myself.

Anyone else getting in a bunch of rounds this "winter?" Played in shorts and short sleeves again today. My game is pretty sharp given that it is technically the offseason...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised there has yet to be a mention of the rules overhaul just released by the USGA/R&A.

Actually, I think most are pretty nice.

Still no free drop from fairway divots. (hate)

Still no mud ball relief from fairway and fringe (bubba weeps)

Don't like the new Drop rule where you can just drop it from half an inch in the air

Really love being able to fix the green before you putt (of course most Ams did that anyway) and the once you're on the green you have "earned that spot"

Actually, I think most are pretty nice.

Still no free drop from fairway divots. (hate)

Still no mud ball relief from fairway and fringe (bubba weeps)

Don't like the new Drop rule where you can just drop it from half an inch in the air

Really love being able to fix the green before you putt (of course most Ams did that anyway) and the once you're on the green you have "earned that spot"

I think that's a good one. Should speed up play some to avoid having to drop twice and place. Also, people (even pros) manipulate the drop rule so they are able to place the ball.

Even dropping from an inch into rough, pine straw, etc should more accurately and fairly mimic the lie the golfer would have had on that surface had the ball come to rest there. IMHO of course.

So it had been talked about for a few months around our club but they finally have pulled the trigger and are redoing the greens from bent grass to bermuda. Looks like they are sparing no expense and doing them right, going with the MiniVerde Bermuda, which I think is what everyone calls "Championship Bermuda." Well known courses like The Bear Trap, Pine Needles, Streamsong, Quail Hollow, etc all look like they have them from what I can tell as well as more local courses like Bryan Park, Keith Hills, and Tobacco Road.

Getting more details in May but it sounds like they are putting them in June 1 and anticipate a 2 month down time, does that sound correct? Any thing you guys like/dislike about those? I've played them plenty at other golf courses and don't love them for what they do to my game personally (don't spin it enough to get the same hold as I do on the bent greens I grew up playing on but the quality of the greens for putting will be a huge improvement over what we have so that's a huge plus. Any opinions?

FWIW, we're installing new Bunkers and Bermuda greens and the course is closed from April 1 - August 31. This was the original scope of work and time frame. We've since added some improvements to the driving range and some tweaks to two holes within the same time frame.

I don't know anything about greenskeeping or course renovation, but two months seems pretty quick.

Bent grass greens are going to be a thing of the past pretty soon in this region, especially on better courses.

So it had been talked about for a few months around our club but they finally have pulled the trigger and are redoing the greens from bent grass to bermuda. Looks like they are sparing no expense and doing them right, going with the MiniVerde Bermuda, which I think is what everyone calls "Championship Bermuda." Well known courses like The Bear Trap, Pine Needles, Streamsong, Quail Hollow, etc all look like they have them from what I can tell as well as more local courses like Bryan Park, Keith Hills, and Tobacco Road.

Getting more details in May but it sounds like they are putting them in June 1 and anticipate a 2 month down time, does that sound correct? Any thing you guys like/dislike about those? I've played them plenty at other golf courses and don't love them for what they do to my game personally (don't spin it enough to get the same hold as I do on the bent greens I grew up playing on but the quality of the greens for putting will be a huge improvement over what we have so that's a huge plus. Any opinions?

I love them. Maybe the best part is that they barely mark at all so the lazy members that don't fix their shit won't make the greens look like garbage during busy season.

Any SF people on the golf thread? Recommendations on places to regularly golf? Or occasionally golf outside the city?

As long as they take care to soften the contours on any greens that have moderate to high slope, you'll love them.

They will be super firm the first couple of years.

Back