• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Yea the firmness I knew was coming the first few years. I've played a few courses that had gotten them put in 12-18 months before I played them and those things were bricks. Won't be the end of the world, just will have to make some adjustments! Thanks for the replies.

So it had been talked about for a few months around our club but they finally have pulled the trigger and are redoing the greens from bent grass to bermuda. Looks like they are sparing no expense and doing them right, going with the MiniVerde Bermuda, which I think is what everyone calls "Championship Bermuda." Well known courses like The Bear Trap, Pine Needles, Streamsong, Quail Hollow, etc all look like they have them from what I can tell as well as more local courses like Bryan Park, Keith Hills, and Tobacco Road.

Getting more details in May but it sounds like they are putting them in June 1 and anticipate a 2 month down time, does that sound correct? Any thing you guys like/dislike about those? I've played them plenty at other golf courses and don't love them for what they do to my game personally (don't spin it enough to get the same hold as I do on the bent greens I grew up playing on but the quality of the greens for putting will be a huge improvement over what we have so that's a huge plus. Any opinions?

Which course? Sounds like you're in NC. The bryan park greens are great but did take time to settle in, soften up, and get all of the movement back. I've played Starmount with the Bermuda and it's a bit much given how much slope there is on those greens - above the hole most of the time means likely 5-10 foot comebacker best case scenario

Which course? Sounds like you're in NC. The bryan park greens are great but did take time to settle in, soften up, and get all of the movement back. I've played Starmount with the Bermuda and it's a bit much given how much slope there is on those greens - above the hole most of the time means likely 5-10 foot comebacker best case scenario

I'm a member at the Neuse out in Clayton (live in downtown Raleigh and it's about a 25 min drive). It's a decent track that is a Club Corp run course. It's got a bunch of guys my age that make a good group up to play games with on the weekend and is an enjoyable play. It's cheap too (I pay $99 a month for a membership and another $100 for a cart plan). Found out that the greens will OOS until 9/1/17 so the timeline now matches up a little better with what some of you all were saying.

Been diggin Feherty recently. Phil, Patrick Reed, Leezy Rice. All v good. Reed did a great job of only coming off as a douche instead of a huge douche, which was probably very hard for him and took lots of coaching and editing. Kudos to his team and the feherty editors. Secretary Rice seems all around awesome.

Last edited:
Lexi Thompson lost the LPGA major this weekend because a viewer at home emailed the LPGA on Sunday to let them know that she had replaced her ball about an inch out of position on a 1 foot putt on the 17th green during her Saturday round. So she was retroactively penalized 2 strokes for the incorrect placement, and another 2 strokes for an incorrect scorecard. She ended up losing in a playoff.

This seems pretty ridiculous to me...somebody at home with nothing better to do reported her and cost her $250k and a major win. And made this happening an actual reality!

Anyone been out much in Winston lately? Starting to get the bug and wanted to see which courses were in the best shape right now

Just booked a group trip to Whistling Straits in August. Right now the plan is to play the Straits and Irish courses as Whistling Straits plus the River and Meadow Valleys courses at Blackwolf Run. Considering adding Erin Hills but might save that for another trip as it would cost an additional $500 and I don't think everyone in the group is down for that. The Bull at Pinehurst Farms is looking like a contender for the fifth course.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/discouragements/etc about the trip?

Still on the lookout for a scratch/low single digit tourney player in the DC area who went to Wake (undergrad or grad school). Have a fun tourney to play in but need another alum. Shoot me a PM.

Still on the lookout for a scratch/low single digit tourney player in the DC area who went to Wake (undergrad or grad school). Have a fun tourney to play in but need another alum. Shoot me a PM.

Does it have to be DC area?

I shot a 71 at RP in the first round of the 2008 Forsyth Am. I think I was in like 7th place or something. Finished strong with 77 and 80 at Winston Lake and Tanglewood Championship respectively.

I have a love hate relationship with Winston Lake. I hate it because there is not a flat spot on the course and you are always playing with crazy lies, but I love it because it because it very rarely crowded.

I have a love hate relationship with Winston Lake. I hate it because there is not a flat spot on the course and you are always playing with crazy lies, but I love it because it because it very rarely crowded.

The back nine of that shithole owes me a Forsyth Am or two.

Reynolds Park was my favorite shitty Winston course. Almost had a hole in one on the par 4 11th three or four times. Ball really fed to the hole when the pin was in the middle of the green.

Reynolds Park was my favorite shitty Winston course. Almost had a hole in one on the par 4 11th three or four times. Ball really fed to the hole when the pin was in the middle of the green.

One of the few Perry Maxwell designs in the southeast.

Yeah, ours was this little rinky dink place called Pinebrook.

But our actual real favorite college course was Silo Run. Play for under $20, any level of golfer could join, and rarely ever waiting on other people.

What was the course on the way to Ted's Kickin Chicken with the second hole that was a 90 degree dogleg left up the hill? We used to play beer a hole out there and lose our minds. I think I drove a golf cart over the tiny bridge on the back nine with 80% of each tire hanging over the edge. Stupid kids.

What was the course on the way to Ted's Kickin Chicken with the second hole that was a 90 degree dogleg left up the hill? We used to play beer a hole out there and lose our minds. I think I drove a golf cart over the tiny bridge on the back nine with 80% of each tire hanging over the edge. Stupid kids.

Grandview (RIP)

Back