• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Won a threesome at LACC today via a free raffle. Gotta dust off the ole clubs.

Unfortunately he gives up a stroke on every hole. Just go out there and try to make 4-5 birdies and see what happens. Also, make a 21 putt out everything lol

Great call. I tend to be very liberal with giving of putts.

Great call. I tend to be very liberal with giving of putts.

Yep. I think amateurs make the mistake of giving way too many putts in match play. I understand why, all we see on TV is professional match play events on the biggest stage, but this isn't the Ryder Cup. Pros make those putts, amateurs might not, thats why we're amateurs. I understand being a gentlemen as well, but the guy is in the championship. Make him earn it. I'd set the tone early and establish "hey bud, we're both going to be putting everything outside of 2 feet out". Especially with your short game being as good as you say it is, and him being a 21. Best of luck, bring it home!

Yeah, I've got a feeling the 21 in the final might be getting a stroke or two more than he should. Definitely make him putt anything outside of a foot.

You can also always give him everything inside 3 feet for the front nine and then make him putt everything coming in, as the pressure builds... A favorite strategy of mine... Assuming the match is in doubt.

Front 9 is a bit much. Maybe the first questionable putt, then unexpectedly make him putt the second. That thought of "oh shit he's making me putt this" might be enough to force a miss early on, then it's a confidence issue the rest of the round.

Start giving him pointers on how to improve his handicap by like the 3rd hole. Got a bit of a flailing elbow there, try to keep it a little tighter.

Start giving him pointers on how to improve his handicap by like the 3rd hole. Got a bit of a flailing elbow there, try to keep it a little tighter.

I've had guys do the opposite to me... In a close match on the 16th tee just casually say something like, "Man, you've been killing your driver all day"...Gets you to thinking about it... bam, next drive right in the woods. Ugh. But then, I am a mental midget on the golf course.

Humble brag post coming up...

I have made it to the championship of my club's Match Play tournament. 128 guys started, NCAA tournament style, 2 left. Here is where I need some strategy/psychological help: I am a 6. The guy I am playing is a 21. He shoots 88-93 every time, but its always with two or three blow up holes. He actually makes a lot of pars. I make VERY few birdies. I make 12-13 pars with the rest tap in bogeys. I am not long off the tee, but VERY straight. Great short game. So I don't really know how to approach playing this guy.

I don’t know the course rating where you play, but if this guy is consistently shooting 88-93 he shouldn’t be a 21 handicap. More like 17-18. I’d wonder whether he is adjusting his card on those two or three blowup holes.

I don’t know the course rating where you play, but if this guy is consistently shooting 88-93 he shouldn’t be a 21 handicap. More like 17-18. I’d wonder whether he is adjusting his card on those two or three blowup holes.

I just went and looked at his last 3-4 matches. Wouldn't you know that when he has won 5-4, but he and his partner "play in", he has doubles and triples on #16, #17, #18. Hmmmm....

21 in the championship is most likely a blatant sandbagger. I have a friend who's a real 21 and he breaks 100 1/10 times. Best score ever is 95, keeps a real handicap and it's 21.

I feel personally attacked

f79zc31l0kc31.jpg

So I recently changed my grip. Big change; basically strengthened it by moving my left hand clockwise and right hand counter wise, thumb off the Club. While a work in progress, (working hard not to hook it) it has dramatically increased my ball striking. The amazing thing in 30 years of playing averaging a lesson or two a year not once has a teaching professional discussed my grip. I mean, wtf??

So I recently changed my grip. Big change; basically strengthened it by moving my left hand clockwise and right hand counter wise, thumb off the Club. While a work in progress, (working hard not to hook it) it has dramatically increased my ball striking. The amazing thing in 30 years of playing averaging a lesson or two a year not once has a teaching professional discussed my grip. I mean, wtf??

Funny. I've done the exact opposite and have improved ball striking a lot. Still working out the kinks though, as I had 7 birdies on Saturday in a match and still shot (1) over par. 6 penalty shots on a tight course is a killer.

I have a dozen brand new ProV1Xs I'm willing to trade for a dozen Calloway Chrome Soft Stars and Stripes if anyone has any laying around. Or if you see any on sale at your pro shop and want to upgrade them to some new V1Xs at the discounted price, scoop them and shoot me a PM.

Humble brag post coming up...

I have made it to the championship of my club's Match Play tournament. 128 guys started, NCAA tournament style, 2 left. Here is where I need some strategy/psychological help: I am a 6. The guy I am playing is a 21. He shoots 88-93 every time, but its always with two or three blow up holes. He actually makes a lot of pars. I make VERY few birdies. I make 12-13 pars with the rest tap in bogeys. I am not long off the tee, but VERY straight. Great short game. So I don't really know how to approach playing this guy.

Be the ball.

Back