• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Well I was thinking about upgrading from the Rogue to the Rogue ST but now you have me thinking I won't gain anything haha

Which driver are you playing now?

From what I understand, there really can't be much difference year-to-year now on driver center contact given the smash factor limit. It is mishits that are a real big difference. Unless you have a really old driver or a setup not right for you (shaft, etc) 30+ yard difference is absolutely massive, I mean some guys would kill for a yard or two more. Are you playing persimmon lol.

This makes sense. A good drive from my TSi2 really doesn't go much further (2-3 yards) than my old 913, but the mishits definitely go significantly (15+ yards) further and particularly, and most importantly, they go straighter.

Also apparently Golf Digest rated PB Dye "one of the most difficult courses in America" and after playing in blustery conditions last weekend I can confirm that is not true.

Also apparently Golf Digest rated PB Dye "one of the most difficult courses in America" and after playing in blustery conditions last weekend I can confirm that is not true.

I have played there 2-3 times the last few years. From what I've heard, it has softened quite a bit from when it first opened. Think the reputation has remained. I thought it was fine as a single-digit hcp. Maybe high handicappers get really caught up on some holes. I have played much more difficult Dye courses.

Wait a minute - there is a course/club named after PB Dye? Say what? I kind of get Pete Dye Golf Club. Kind of. But PB Dye? Come on.

Trading on the name of famous parents is pretty common in golf course architecture.

I have played there 2-3 times the last few years. From what I've heard, it has softened quite a bit from when it first opened. Think the reputation has remained. I thought it was fine as a single-digit hcp. Maybe high handicappers get really caught up on some holes. I have played much more difficult Dye courses.

That would make sense. The greens were pretty slow and manageable even for a 10 HCP like me. It made a big deal about forcing you to use every club in your bag and it's like...yeah but the landing zones and greens are so big, and you're relatively unpunished for missing them, that it's not like using every club is some sort of challenge.

The rare 10 handicap who pures every drive. Wow. I'll take you as a member/guest partner.

Member-guests used to be quite a window to see cheaters and sandbaggers. Harder to do now. I played in a member-guest group with a guest (not mine) who carried a 13 handicap and shot 71 gross. I will never forget watching the guy on the par 3 3rd hole miss the green left down a slope below a big bunker and he had to hit his next shot off hard pan to a tight pin well above him over the bunker. He walked right up, opened the face of his sand wedge and hit it perfect over the bunker and spun it to 3 feet. I called bullshit at that point and he turned in 34. I was a plus 2 at that time and that guy was every bit as good as I was. I think he shot 37 on the back just to try to cover some of his tracks.

Have 25 year old big berthas that are in need of an upgrade. Especially since I’ve now lost like 3 of the clubs.

Looking at the Apex dcb’s as they have a similar look, what’s the consensus on them as irons ? Anything else out there on the market that’s appreciably better?

And how important is it to get them fitted vs just buying online and saving a little money if I’m an average sized guy?

Have 25 year old big berthas that are in need of an upgrade. Especially since I’ve now lost like 3 of the clubs.

Looking at the Apex dcb’s as they have a similar look, what’s the consensus on them as irons ? Anything else out there on the market that’s appreciably better?

And how important is it to get them fitted vs just buying online and saving a little money if I’m an average sized guy?

I can't say enough good things about the Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metals that I have. If you're better than me they have a "pro" model with a bit lower profile, a forged model, and a tour model. I added about 25 yards to each iron and the hold such a nice draw. Remember I never mishit so I can't speak much to forgiveness (they are nice and forgiving).

Member-guests used to be quite a window to see cheaters and sandbaggers. Harder to do now. I played in a member-guest group with a guest (not mine) who carried a 13 handicap and shot 71 gross. I will never forget watching the guy on the par 3 3rd hole miss the green left down a slope below a big bunker and he had to hit his next shot off hard pan to a tight pin well above him over the bunker. He walked right up, opened the face of his sand wedge and hit it perfect over the bunker and spun it to 3 feet. I called bullshit at that point and he turned in 34. I was a plus 2 at that time and that guy was every bit as good as I was. I think he shot 37 on the back just to try to cover some of his tracks.

Fuck that guy.

Some clubs are getting incredibly sophisticated on finding out aberrations in handicaps. As in models tracking 50+ data points to call you out. I have a friend at a club that instituted this. The club let a few members know that if they applied it to them the previous season, they would have been suspended for sandbagging. Basically a warning shot going into the new season lol.

Definitely get fit, especially if you can find a local shop vs. a big box. They will give you a discount on the new clubs if you buy with them, so you won't end up spending that much extra money. Then you will have the right clubs for you and don't have to worry about it for quite awhile. It is also nice to have that relationship, if you need things replaced, you may be able to get cheaper prices going forward.

I've got a friend who is going on nine months now waiting for his new Titleist irons.

I was about to note that there ain't that much inflation in golf irons in the past 25 years. Fairly sure my set was $800-900 25 years ago, and I'd be dropping $1,250 today.

How would y'all handle this situation? Probably a long post incoming

Me: 2.6 hdcp
Brother: 8.2 hdcp
TJ: +1.0 hdcp (club champion)

The three of us are best friends and have been playing sports together our whole lives. We all joined the club we grew up on last year and pretty much swept the board in tournaments.

2021 tournaments

Won cabin fever
Won labor day invitational
Won July 4th shootout
Won our flight in member guest (me and brother, tj and dad finished 2nd in our flight)
TJ won club championship
TJ and another +hdcp at the club won member/member (my brother and partner won net)

All of that to say, we play in every team tournament together, and pretty much swept the board in gross or net last year. Folks have called my bothers hdcp into question as he careered in the MM where he won net, but his scores are truthful and solid. He posts all of his rounds. I go in behind us and make sure all of our rounds are posted, since we play 95% of our rounds together.

This morning, I noticed TJ, club champion, +1hdcp, on the tournament committee, has posted 3 fake scores in 2022. Again, we play all of our rounds together, I was with him for all of these rounds. It not like he went out and played without us, all of these rounds I was a part of.

12/31 - We played 18 holes of 2v2 captains choice while getting drunk. Not a postable score. He entered in an 78. My brother and I didnt post since it was captains choice format.
2/13 - First round of the year. My brother had to work and we knew we could only play 13-15 holes. So again, we played 2 v 2 captains choice. We quit after hole 15. He posted an 81. My brother and I didnt post since it was captains choice format.
2/20 - We played in the gangsome, so the clubhouse posts our scores. The clubhouse posted his score the next day, but he also posted a score for that round, which was one stroke above what the clubhouse posted. So now theres an 80 and 81 in there for the same day. We only played 18 holes.

So how would you handle this, with the facts presented above? Again, none of these were an accident, and I was there for each of them. It's 3 blatant false scores, no mistakes were made.

Back